Dell Inspiron 600m dead memory socket!?

tomshardwareda

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
one of my DELL INSPIRON 600m laptop's memory sockets (socket A) has been dead for quite a while now! it cannot be used anymore and that's why i can use only one memory module on the system, ie, half the maximum allowable amount of memory can be installed and used: 1GB (Kingston) vs 2GB, but unusable memory socket! :(

btw, same machine used to work fine with 2x512MB (Corsair) memory modules!

memory socket A appears to be dead because of a power surcharge or something like that caused by an overloaded PSU.

(the same PSU is also 'half-burnt' because of having to over-charge a dead battery left in the laptop! new, more powerful PSU is
working great now, and the old the PSU works fine just as well but can't overclock the CPU to more than double its rated speed
anymore: 600MHz vs 1.3GHz.)

Windows XP Home SP3.0

sofyanator

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Are you just complaining or are your asking a question becuase after reading your question about 3 times i still cant see any question marks or questions? What kind of answer are you looking for?

tomshardwareda

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
hi Youngster, sorry for the confusion caused here! doh! :) yes, i do have a question but forgot to ask it the right way and went into giving some info that may help regarding the final answer coming from anyone.

anyway: how can i get that 'dead' memory socket back? is it really dead after all? i'm trying to update the BIOS too but i'm not sure it'll help much in that respect really.

repairs are apparently out of the question as i've checked it out with a few places and they all tell me forget about this old laptop computer, trash it and get a new one, which is a good idea, but i'd rather keep this one and use it since it's a fairly decent machine and serves my regular daily purposes well enough.

(i do have another netbook, and more powerful desktop computer systems already anyway.)

thanks for any usable answer, even if a negative one! :)

tomshardwareda

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

yes, u'r certainly right and i've considered myself already of course but also trying my luck anyway ... :) thanks.