Cabinet with built-in SMPS (450 Watts)

vinay016

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hello guys, this is my first post here on tom's.
I was about to buy GTX 460 and would like some help from you all.

Here are my specs:

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 (2.4 GHz)
Mother Board : Mercury PNMCP73V (Nvidia GeForce7050/610i chipset)
Hard Disks : ST31000340AS Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 1-TB
: ST3500410AS Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s 500GB
: ST3250410AS Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 250-GB
PCI Slots : PCI E x 16 (I dont know whether PCI-E 2.0 or not!)
DVD Writer : Dual Layer LG DVD Writer (It doesn't matter i think)
RAM : DDR2 Ram - 2GB (However it shows only 1.76 GB)

And here comes the main problem. I have Frontech Cabinet with an inbuilt SMPS which shows it is 450 Watts. (Model: JIL-2410D)

Can i run GTX 460 with this cabinet with inbuilt smps?

Is SMPS & PSU both same? (sorry for being so noob here :D)

When i went to buy it in a retail shop, the guy at the shop said that graphics card cannot

be run on SMPS and they will burn if did so. Is it true?

I have got this information on smps:

info on smps

original pics:

original pic1
original pic2
original pic3

thanks for help in advance.

EDIT:

I was wondering if i could use a separate psu for Graphic cards. What i mean is, i would use my inbuilt SMPS for all other components like- motherboard, CPU, Hard disks etc. and would buy a 300W or more capable PSU only for GTX 460. Is it possible?

vinay016

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

yeah sorry brother :eek: . fixed the images now.

Both the case and the PSU need to be changed.. Otherwise you might end up permanently keeping the side door of that frontech open thinking about better airflow.. I'd seriouslly recommend you to spend up a little here as a quality case and PSU will serve for a long time..

Frontech PSU and GTX 460? You must be dreaming. Either dump the idea of getting the GPU or dump the PSU int he garbage bin. If you use the PSU with the GPU, then you may end up dumping the PC!

Quite poetic isn't it?? :D

Get a Corsair VX550W - 5.5k INR.
CM690 - 4.5k-5k INR.

I am sticking my neck out and saying you are from India! :)

PSU and SMPS are the same thing.

vinay016

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

OK fine well said. I am from india :p

And how about the other idea i put on in the first post as "Edit":

The guy at the shop said there is a gigabyte 450 w for Rs. 2300 approximately.

now im thinking if i get any PSU of around 300 W which would cost less than Rs. 2000, and use it only for graphic card(not whole system). :p

It would mean that i will be using 2 SMPSes

I read somewhere that 2 PSU's can be used.

But 2 crap PSU's are as good as one crap PSU's.

I checked the power consumptions of the GTX460 1GB, i said around 270W on load. Then i guess you maybe better off with VX450W, although i must say, its quite a tight fit. I would definitely rate VX550W or Seasonic 500W.

http://techshop.in/store/product_info.php?cPath=320_194&products_id=3569

or

http://www.lynx-india.com/index.php?productID=5137

Since the Corsair one is 4.5k then i suggest there should be no problem going for it.

GTX 460 is almost in the high end cards domain.. You may as well show some respect for your purchase by getting a proper (single) PSU.. Moreover, low end PSU's do not output their advertised watts also.. Then there are problems with efficiency, ripples, current etc..etc.. You will end up requiring a major fix if you go about trusting such PSU's.. hell_storm has put together a good combo recommendation.. Get the PSU atleast if you cannot afford the case for now..

Agree with Emperus here, cheap PSU's maybe rated at 500W but they don't give the output of 500W when on load or when needed. On top of that most of them don't have active PFC. Which can be a bummer and unclean power is something that cheap PSU's expertise in. High ripple, high fluctuations and the works.

Modern day PC parts cant handle all these. They have to much of stress thinking about how to handle Crysis or Arma II. :)

vinay016

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
hell_storm2004, thanks for the help man (all the way in this topic). :love:

But i need to know one thing.

I have read about multiple psu's

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/15751-info-can-i-use-two-power.html

why such mod using jumpers etc., i dont understand. is it necessary.

in my case, i will continue my usual computing through the inbuilt smps which takes input from one slot (cable1) in my ups, and for gaming i would buy gigabyte psu, which would take input from the spike (drawn from ups)(cable2). i will place my new psu on top of my pc or on my computer table, i have no problem doing this.
so new entire 450 w for a graphic card itself. How does this sounds ?? It means i will be using only the 6pin connectors from the new psu for my graphic card.

Power bill will hit me though.

I know that people have used 2 PSU's in one PC. But i am not that type. I would definitely prefer one hefty solution rather than the bits and pieces of it and Corsair, Seasonic, Antec provide such solutions. That's why i said about the two PSU's linked above. The Corsair PSU's are the ultimate choice in quality, popularity and build and of course reliability. You need to buy one to understand what PSU quality means. Starting from the packaging to the cables and the rest. I was simply amazed when i opened my VX450W (Even i have been a Frontech PSU guy way back in the early 2002-2003 but with time have realized the importance of a good PSU. :)

vinay016

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Actually i have to say this to u earlier, but sorry for adding this. My budget is around Rs.2 to 2.5k for PSU. Since i've already paid money in advance for my GTX 460 768 MB. (i thought of buying 1GB, but later got to know that my PSU is *** and dropped to 768 mb version.)

I guess nothing can be done now. Remember, PSU comes first. Decide on what you are going to get, how much wattage you need and get the PSU first. Rest all parts can wait for either you saving money or getting cash from somewhere unexpected, whichever comes first! :)

vinay016

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

Looks good, what is the Active Power Factor, and efficiency in ur opinion.
Also i may look in stores nearby for this. Thanks anyway.

You should not be bothered about Active PFC and efficiency.. Like i said before, they would be there for advertisement and will happily fail to achieve those marks when made to go through a rigorous test.. Consider it like the DCR mentioned on the LCD monitors.. I'd still recommend you to get to the market and ask around for PSU's available in your price bracket.. For the budget you mentioned, i guess You'll surely get something from the coolermaster camp which would be far better comparing to such brands as frontech..

vinay016

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

OK i will look for coolermaster as well. thanks for adding.