Sign in with
Your question
Solved

34pin to 40pin

Last response: in Motherboards
March 5, 2011 2:49:33 PM

Hello,
I've got a media card reader with a 1.44" floppy. Problem: The Floppy requires the old style 34 pin connector and most new Motherboards have 40 pin connectors.
Is there an adapter?
Thanks
Charles

More about : 34pin 40pin

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
March 7, 2011 12:38:13 AM

name and model card reader and motherboard
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2011 1:49:46 PM

The 40-pin connector is not a different style of floppy controller; it is an IDE controller. They are not compatible.
I have searched for a connector that plugs into a USB port and presents a 34-pin floppy controller, but everything I found went the other direction.
I would suggest that you buy a new, USB floppy / media card combo, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .
It would probably be cheaper than getting a specialized adapter!

Anyone out there know of an adapter that would work?
m
l
Related resources
March 8, 2011 4:01:08 AM

WyomingKnott said:
The 40-pin connector is not a different style of floppy controller; it is an IDE controller. They are not compatible.
I have searched for a connector that plugs into a USB port and presents a 34-pin floppy controller, but everything I found went the other direction.
I would suggest that you buy a new, USB floppy / media card combo, such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... .
It would probably be cheaper than getting a specialized adapter!

Anyone out there know of an adapter that would work?

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'm a little confused here. The MB has a 40 pin hook up, isn't this where the card reader ribbon, which I presume controls the Floppy, would hook up to....If it were a 34 pin, and not a 40 pin? Also, thanks for the link to New Egg...but isnt this also a 34 pin ribbon, its hard to tell in the picture.
Thanks for the help
Charles
m
l
March 8, 2011 4:05:29 AM

scout_03 said:
name and model card reader and motherboard

Hello Scout and thanks for the reply.
As you requested:
Mother Board: ASUS M2N68-AM Plus
Card Reader: Ultra ULT40366

Thanks
Charles
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2011 12:19:36 PM

creichert said:
Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'm a little confused here. The MB has a 40 pin hook up, isn't this where the card reader ribbon, which I presume controls the Floppy, would hook up to....If it were a 34 pin, and not a 40 pin? Also, thanks for the link to New Egg...but isnt this also a 34 pin ribbon, its hard to tell in the picture.
Thanks for the help
Charles

Charles

There are two kinds of drive controllers that are now mostly "legacy" now that SATA has become a consumer standard and new machines come without floppy drives.

• The IDE interface controlled hard drives CD/DVD readers/writers. It uses an internal 40-pin ribbon cable with two plugs at one end for two drives.

• The older floppy drive controller, invented before the hard drive was shrunk down to less than the size of a washing machine and used when the most storage a PC had was two floppy drives, uses a 34-pin ribbon cable. It is not compatible with the IDE standard in any way.

Your motherboard, according to the Asus site, has
    Storage:
    1 xUltraDMA 133/100
    4 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports Support RAID 0,1,5,10,JBOD

The UltraDMA is an IDE controller,supporting up to two drives, and not compatible with the protocols of a floppy controller. It's not just the number of pins that are different, it's voltages and protocols and command sets and other things.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Most currently sold floppy drives, and card readers, use the USB interface and should be connected to a USB port with a USB cable. This can be either external, like plugging in any USB external drive, or internal, in which case the device is installed in a bay in your case.

External: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . See the external USB cable in the picture?

Internal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    Note the different-looking cable. This cable plugs directly into a USB header on the motherboard.

I think that you need to find an all-in-one that works only via USB, not USB and the Floppy interface as your current one does. Oddly, I'm having a hard time finding one. If I were stuck in this situation, I might end up buying a USB floppy drive and a multi-format card reader.
    March 8, 2011 2:15:35 PM

WyomingKnott said:
    Charles

There are two kinds of drive controllers that are now mostly "legacy" now that SATA has become a consumer standard and new machines come without floppy drives.

• The IDE interface controlled hard drives CD/DVD readers/writers. It uses an internal 40-pin ribbon cable with two plugs at one end for two drives.

• The older floppy drive controller, invented before the hard drive was shrunk down to less than the size of a washing machine and used when the most storage a PC had was two floppy drives, uses a 34-pin ribbon cable. It is not compatible with the IDE standard in any way.

Your motherboard, according to the Asus site, has
    Storage:
    1 xUltraDMA 133/100
    4 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports Support RAID 0,1,5,10,JBOD

The UltraDMA is an IDE controller,supporting up to two drives, and not compatible with the protocols of a floppy controller. It's not just the number of pins that are different, it's voltages and protocols and command sets and other things.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Most currently sold floppy drives, and card readers, use the USB interface and should be connected to a USB port with a USB cable. This can be either external, like plugging in any USB external drive, or internal, in which case the device is installed in a bay in your case.

External: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... . See the external USB cable in the picture?

Internal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
    Note the different-looking cable. This cable plugs directly into a USB header on the motherboard.

I think that you need to find an all-in-one that works only via USB, not USB and the Floppy interface as your current one does. Oddly, I'm having a hard time finding one. If I were stuck in this situation, I might end up buying a USB floppy drive and a multi-format card reader.

• Hello and thanks for the description...it cleared up some things. I've been trying to find a floppy/card reader which hooks up to an internal USB or better, SATA, but have had absolutely no luck finding such an animal. As you've mentioned, these things are probably defunked as nobody useses them any anymore. Unless I can find such an oddity (without the old style floppy header) I'll just continue to use my external floppy reader; I had just wanted to have an all-in-one type of set-up.
    Here's something you'll probably find amusing: My father still has a working 5.25" floppy disk setup running on Windows 98; he's very proud of it and uses it reguraly.
    m
    l
    a b Ĉ ASUS
    a b V Motherboard
    March 8, 2011 2:43:07 PM

Fortunately, I copied all my 5.25" floppies to CD before I bought my first mobo without a floppy controller.
    m
    l
    March 12, 2011 6:29:11 PM

Best answer selected by creichert.
    m
    l
    !