No web connect after SP2 Update

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Why isn't anything easy?

Working on a friend's Compaq Presario (the world ugliest computer). Her
teenage son had done everything possible to screw it up. Many kinds of
spyware, 2 viruses, machine was a mess. So, my friend said "The hell with
it....let's start from scratch". Used the Compaq restore disk to reformat &
reinstall XP Home. Installed ZoneAlarm (free version) next, everything
worked fine. Did all MS updates EXCEPT SP2 (ran out of time & energy on the
first night). Everything worked fine.

Did the SP2 update (using Windows Update from the start menu). No glitches
during install, but now, I cannot access the internet. When I did the SP2
update on two other machines, I did NOT have this problem. Before I start
poking around, can anyone offer a clue, or tell me which fork in the road to
take?

By the way, I tried shutting down ZoneAlarm, even though it did NOT indicate
that it had blocked anything outbound, like IE, but doing this made no
difference. Uninstalled ZA, at which point the Windows firewall kicked in.
Disabled THAT while figuring this out. And, there is no AV software
installed yet. Just a clean machine. Almost.

-Doug
9 answers Last reply
More about connect update
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    How are you connected to the ethernet? Dialup? Bradband? USB or Ethernet
    connection....So on so on...

    If broadband modem, did you setup the computer with the username and
    password if using PPOE ISP?
    Need alot more info to help...

    "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Why isn't anything easy?
    >
    > Working on a friend's Compaq Presario (the world ugliest computer). Her
    > teenage son had done everything possible to screw it up. Many kinds of
    > spyware, 2 viruses, machine was a mess. So, my friend said "The hell with
    > it....let's start from scratch". Used the Compaq restore disk to reformat
    > & reinstall XP Home. Installed ZoneAlarm (free version) next, everything
    > worked fine. Did all MS updates EXCEPT SP2 (ran out of time & energy on
    > the first night). Everything worked fine.
    >
    > Did the SP2 update (using Windows Update from the start menu). No glitches
    > during install, but now, I cannot access the internet. When I did the SP2
    > update on two other machines, I did NOT have this problem. Before I start
    > poking around, can anyone offer a clue, or tell me which fork in the road
    > to take?
    >
    > By the way, I tried shutting down ZoneAlarm, even though it did NOT
    > indicate that it had blocked anything outbound, like IE, but doing this
    > made no
    > difference. Uninstalled ZA, at which point the Windows firewall kicked in.
    > Disabled THAT while figuring this out. And, there is no AV software
    > installed yet. Just a clean machine. Almost.
    >
    > -Doug

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    It won't be clean for long! In a article from the Jan. 05 edition of Maximum
    PC magazine, about exposing a unprotected computer to the internet. It took
    an average of 4 min. for the computer to get infected.

    "Doug Kanter" >...

    > By the way, I tried shutting down ZoneAlarm, even though it did NOT
    > indicate that it had blocked anything outbound, like IE, but doing this
    > made no
    > difference. Uninstalled ZA, at which point the Windows firewall kicked in.
    > Disabled THAT while figuring this out. And, there is no AV software
    > installed yet. Just a clean machine. Almost.
    >
    > -Doug

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I know. Another estimate said 20 minutes. But, everyone I've consulted has
    asked about what firewall I was running, and then stuffed cotton in their
    ears, as if a firewall was the source of all problems. So, I uninstalled it
    so I could be perfectly honest with the dolts who ask that question.

    Remember, years ago, when any time you'd call various tech support sources
    with problems, they'd say "Delete your OS and start from scratch"? Same
    dolts.

    "K" <name@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > It won't be clean for long! In a article from the Jan. 05 edition of
    > Maximum PC magazine, about exposing a unprotected computer to the
    > internet. It took an average of 4 min. for the computer to get infected.
    >
    > "Doug Kanter" >...
    >
    >> By the way, I tried shutting down ZoneAlarm, even though it did NOT
    >> indicate that it had blocked anything outbound, like IE, but doing this
    >> made no
    >> difference. Uninstalled ZA, at which point the Windows firewall kicked
    >> in. Disabled THAT while figuring this out. And, there is no AV software
    >> installed yet. Just a clean machine. Almost.
    >>
    >> -Doug

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    In article <40vPd.446$if5.115@news02.roc.ny>, "Doug Kanter"
    <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Why isn't anything easy?
    >
    >Working on a friend's Compaq Presario (the world ugliest computer). Her
    >teenage son had done everything possible to screw it up. Many kinds of
    >spyware, 2 viruses, machine was a mess. So, my friend said "The hell with
    >it....let's start from scratch". Used the Compaq restore disk to reformat &
    >reinstall XP Home. Installed ZoneAlarm (free version) next, everything
    >worked fine. Did all MS updates EXCEPT SP2 (ran out of time & energy on the
    >first night). Everything worked fine.
    >
    >Did the SP2 update (using Windows Update from the start menu). No glitches
    >during install, but now, I cannot access the internet. When I did the SP2
    >update on two other machines, I did NOT have this problem. Before I start
    >poking around, can anyone offer a clue, or tell me which fork in the road to
    >take?
    >
    >By the way, I tried shutting down ZoneAlarm, even though it did NOT indicate
    >that it had blocked anything outbound, like IE, but doing this made no
    >difference. Uninstalled ZA, at which point the Windows firewall kicked in.
    >Disabled THAT while figuring this out. And, there is no AV software
    >installed yet. Just a clean machine. Almost.
    >
    >-Doug

    Running two firewalls simultaneously is likely to cause problems.
    Disable the Internet Connection Firewall (original, SP1) or Windows
    Firewall (SP2) immediately after installing a firewall like ZA.

    I've seen ZA cause problems on XP. Shutting down ZA didn't help.
    Un-installing ZA was necessary.

    Can the computer ping a web site by IP address and by name? Try:

    ping 216.239.39.99
    ping google.com

    If the first succeeds and the second fails, there's a DNS problem. If
    they both fail, try these steps to fix the problem:

    1. Go to Start | Run | Msconfig | Startup and disable any remnants of
    ZoneAlarm that the un-install procedure didn't remove.

    2.Type this line at a command prompt: netsh winsock reset catalog
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > In article <40vPd.446$if5.115@news02.roc.ny>, "Doug Kanter"
    > <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>Why isn't anything easy?
    >>
    >>Working on a friend's Compaq Presario (the world ugliest computer). Her
    >>teenage son had done everything possible to screw it up. Many kinds of
    >>spyware, 2 viruses, machine was a mess. So, my friend said "The hell with
    >>it....let's start from scratch". Used the Compaq restore disk to reformat
    >>&
    >>reinstall XP Home. Installed ZoneAlarm (free version) next, everything
    >>worked fine. Did all MS updates EXCEPT SP2 (ran out of time & energy on
    >>the
    >>first night). Everything worked fine.
    >>
    >>Did the SP2 update (using Windows Update from the start menu). No glitches
    >>during install, but now, I cannot access the internet. When I did the SP2
    >>update on two other machines, I did NOT have this problem. Before I start
    >>poking around, can anyone offer a clue, or tell me which fork in the road
    >>take?
    >>
    >>By the way, I tried shutting down ZoneAlarm, even though it did NOT
    >>indicate
    >>that it had blocked anything outbound, like IE, but doing this made no
    >>difference. Uninstalled ZA, at which point the Windows firewall kicked in.
    >>Disabled THAT while figuring this out. And, there is no AV software
    >>installed yet. Just a clean machine. Almost.
    >>
    >>-Doug
    >
    > Running two firewalls simultaneously is likely to cause problems.
    > Disable the Internet Connection Firewall (original, SP1) or Windows
    > Firewall (SP2) immediately after installing a firewall like ZA.
    >
    > I've seen ZA cause problems on XP. Shutting down ZA didn't help.
    > Un-installing ZA was necessary.
    >
    > Can the computer ping a web site by IP address and by name? Try:
    >
    > ping 216.239.39.99
    > ping google.com
    >
    > If the first succeeds and the second fails, there's a DNS problem. If
    > they both fail, try these steps to fix the problem:
    >
    > 1. Go to Start | Run | Msconfig | Startup and disable any remnants of
    > ZoneAlarm that the un-install procedure didn't remove.
    >
    > 2.Type this line at a command prompt: netsh winsock reset catalog
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    Steve:
    Thanks for the info. I'll be trying your suggestions later today. Meanwhile,
    a question about the Windows firewall. When SP2 was first released, the
    computer press claimed that it does little or nothing to control OUTBOUND
    nasties - things on the computer that want to communicate with the outside
    world without asking first. Is this true?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    In article <f1IPd.419$6p7.194@news01.roc.ny>, "Doug Kanter"
    <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Steve:
    >Thanks for the info. I'll be trying your suggestions later today. Meanwhile,
    >a question about the Windows firewall. When SP2 was first released, the
    >computer press claimed that it does little or nothing to control OUTBOUND
    >nasties - things on the computer that want to communicate with the outside
    >world without asking first. Is this true?

    Windows Firewall only blocks undesired incoming traffic. It has no
    effect on outgoing traffic. If protection from undesired outgoing
    traffic is important to you, use a software firewall like ZoneAlarm,
    Sygate, Norton, etc.

    As I understand it, Microsoft believes that a computer with undesired
    outgoing traffic (from viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, etc) is too
    badly compromised for a firewall to make a significant difference.
    The nasties have probably already caused other damage that a firewall
    can't fix.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > In article <f1IPd.419$6p7.194@news01.roc.ny>, "Doug Kanter"
    > <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>Steve:
    >>Thanks for the info. I'll be trying your suggestions later today.
    >>Meanwhile,
    >>a question about the Windows firewall. When SP2 was first released, the
    >>computer press claimed that it does little or nothing to control OUTBOUND
    >>nasties - things on the computer that want to communicate with the outside
    >>world without asking first. Is this true?
    >
    > Windows Firewall only blocks undesired incoming traffic. It has no
    > effect on outgoing traffic. If protection from undesired outgoing
    > traffic is important to you, use a software firewall like ZoneAlarm,
    > Sygate, Norton, etc.
    >
    > As I understand it, Microsoft believes that a computer with undesired
    > outgoing traffic (from viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, etc) is too
    > badly compromised for a firewall to make a significant difference.
    > The nasties have probably already caused other damage that a firewall
    > can't fix.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    MS is correct....unless there are kids in the house. In that case, there may
    a problem that exists for a few hours until an adult can deal with it.
    Fortunately, my 15 yr old son learned his lesson when he made his PC
    inoperable, and I decided to leave it that way for a week. :-)
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > In article <40vPd.446$if5.115@news02.roc.ny>, "Doug Kanter"
    > <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>Why isn't anything easy?
    >>
    >>Working on a friend's Compaq Presario (the world ugliest computer). Her
    >>teenage son had done everything possible to screw it up. Many kinds of
    >>spyware, 2 viruses, machine was a mess. So, my friend said "The hell with
    >>it....let's start from scratch". Used the Compaq restore disk to reformat
    >>&
    >>reinstall XP Home. Installed ZoneAlarm (free version) next, everything
    >>worked fine. Did all MS updates EXCEPT SP2 (ran out of time & energy on
    >>the
    >>first night). Everything worked fine.
    >>
    >>Did the SP2 update (using Windows Update from the start menu). No glitches
    >>during install, but now, I cannot access the internet. When I did the SP2
    >>update on two other machines, I did NOT have this problem. Before I start
    >>poking around, can anyone offer a clue, or tell me which fork in the road
    >>take?
    >>
    >>By the way, I tried shutting down ZoneAlarm, even though it did NOT
    >>indicate
    >>that it had blocked anything outbound, like IE, but doing this made no
    >>difference. Uninstalled ZA, at which point the Windows firewall kicked in.
    >>Disabled THAT while figuring this out. And, there is no AV software
    >>installed yet. Just a clean machine. Almost.
    >>
    >>-Doug
    >
    > Running two firewalls simultaneously is likely to cause problems.
    > Disable the Internet Connection Firewall (original, SP1) or Windows
    > Firewall (SP2) immediately after installing a firewall like ZA.
    >
    > I've seen ZA cause problems on XP. Shutting down ZA didn't help.
    > Un-installing ZA was necessary.
    >
    > Can the computer ping a web site by IP address and by name? Try:
    >
    > ping 216.239.39.99
    > ping google.com
    >
    > If the first succeeds and the second fails, there's a DNS problem. If
    > they both fail, try these steps to fix the problem:
    >
    > 1. Go to Start | Run | Msconfig | Startup and disable any remnants of
    > ZoneAlarm that the un-install procedure didn't remove.

    Time for an update on the computer from hell. I've reformatted & renovated
    about 30 machines thus far. Never anything like this.

    1) Found a few remnants of ZA in the registry, but nothing in msconfig's
    startup tab. By the way, there were not two firewalls running
    simultaneously. Windows recognizes the presence of ZoneAlarm, but even so, I
    checked the control thing for the Windows firewall. It was off. But, never
    mind....see below.

    2) Able to ping both address you suggested with no problem.
    3) Tried your suggestion: "netsh winsock reset catalog". Whatever it did, it
    didn't help, although it looks interesting enough that I've stuck a note in
    my 300 lb XP textbook to learn more about it.

    At 10:00 tonight, I decided I had a choice to make: Keep dickin' around with
    this machine in its current state, or start from scratch. I chose "B". Stuck
    in the Compaq restore disk, wiped the HD clean, and got as far as the first
    round of MS updates. The machine still connects via DSL, nice & fast.
    However, this time, new spooks have arisen:

    1) I'm seeing popup windows even when IE is ***NOT RUNNING*** (or at least
    *I* haven't started it).
    2) Went for the second round of MS updates and I'm getting multiple script
    errors from the Windows Update site. Can't get past the "checking for
    updates" screen. This did NOT happen when I started from scratch with the
    machine two days ago.
    3) Unlocked the gun safe, pulled out my favorite handgun, and prepared to
    murder the CPU. Decided to go to sleep and reconsider the idea, since it
    belongs to my ex-wife's cousin and I have enough friction to deal with
    because everyone in her family is supposed to dislike me. :-)

    I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Disconnect the DSL cable.
    Reinstall windows and TURN ON THE FIREWALL.
    Reconnect the DSL cable.
    Do windows updates and ...

    --
    Bob Dietz

    Doug Kanter wrote:
> [...]
    > round of MS updates. The machine still connects via DSL, nice & fast.
    > However, this time, new spooks have arisen:
    >
    > 1) I'm seeing popup windows even when IE is ***NOT RUNNING*** (or at least
    > *I* haven't started it).
    > 2) Went for the second round of MS updates and I'm getting multiple script
    > errors from the Windows Update site. Can't get past the "checking for
    > updates" screen. This did NOT happen when I started from scratch with the
    > machine two days ago.
    > 3) Unlocked the gun safe, pulled out my favorite handgun, and prepared to
    > murder the CPU. Decided to go to sleep and reconsider the idea, since it
    > belongs to my ex-wife's cousin and I have enough friction to deal with
    > because everyone in her family is supposed to dislike me. :-)
    >
    > I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Configuration Connection Microsoft Windows XP