greengiant5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Hello,
i got 4gb of ram installed in a system as recognized by cpuz and windows, although windows sys that 2084mb of this is hardware reserved.

my motherboard does not support memory remapping and i have already reseated the cpu looking for bad pins and finding none!

if it helps this is corsair vs memory, and an h55m s2h mobo. everything is pretty heavily ocd, although i have tried defaults in bios with no luck
any suggestions on how to get rid of this hardware reservation?

thanks for your time

Solution
All right ... what did you do on your computer the day you noticed that it was reserved? New drivers? New Windows updates? New games? New apps? New hardware?

This is most likely a driver issue, where the chipset driver or graphics driver is falsely reporting that the memory is reserved.

sofyanator

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
As you can tell by not having any answers by now this is a very very very complex problem that not many users would be familiar with. Even most of the pros on this website would not no what to do. I wouldnt know of any website that would give you the knowdledge to fix this. I would recomend backing up all your datat and software and reinstalling windows. If thats doesnt work then i dont know what to say besides take it to your local tech store like a compusa or something and im sure they will have an answer. I know this might not be the answer you were looking for but its realy just the best i can give you.

sofyanator

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Also if your system is 32 bit or vista that would explain a lot and you should upgrade to windows 7. If not you could always add another stick which would give more then suffecient amounts of ram.

Your mainboard has the capability of using integrated graphics. That is why "hardware reserved" is showing up. It's not actually being used all of the time, and it can be used by programs if they need it.

In other words, on the board you have this is normal behavior.

greengiant5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

thanks for all the replies

I am running an i5 750 and a 460 gtx on that board my understanding is the integrated graphics would not be used? I have written a program that shows only 2gb of usable ram, also this is a new thing and has only just happened up until a few days ago I had 4GB useable.

I would really like to know what the issue is. I can reinstall windows but what if this happens again? I dont want to be reinstalling windows every few months!

thanks again

All right ... what did you do on your computer the day you noticed that it was reserved? New drivers? New Windows updates? New games? New apps? New hardware?

This is most likely a driver issue, where the chipset driver or graphics driver is falsely reporting that the memory is reserved.

Solution

greengiant5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
thinking back, new graphics drivers, should have twigged this might be an issue, i will renew, maybe try an older version and get back with a result.

thanks for your help!

TRENDING THREADS