Is there any way to..........

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
documents, programs, and websites?"

Taskbar and Start Menu properties
Start Menu tab
Customize
Clear button <------ Disable this

I checked through gpedit and couldnt find anything there. Is there
another way to do it in windows or another utility that can do it for me?

I googled it and couldnt find anything.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Roadrunner

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi ... You could use " Disk cleanup " Under the following >> start buttom
>>> all programs >>> Accessories >> System tools >>> Disk cleanup , start up
the program and make some added on selection to the list ... Another thing
you can do is , If you are using IE , Open IE and go to the following
>>>tools >> Internet Options >>> Select the " Content" tab >> Click " Auto
Complete and do what you would like in there , I hope this helps you out

"VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
> documents, programs, and websites?"
>

> Taskbar and Start Menu properties
> Start Menu tab
> Customize
> Clear button <------ Disable this
>

> I checked through gpedit and couldnt find anything there. Is there
> another way to do it in windows or another utility that can do it for me?
>
> I googled it and couldnt find anything.
>

> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi,

You would need to combine many edits into one, starting with:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
Panel]
"History"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
Panel]
"History"=dword:00000001

Or see line 101: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
> documents, programs, and websites?"
>

> Taskbar and Start Menu properties
> Start Menu tab
> Customize
> Clear button <------ Disable this
>

> I checked through gpedit and couldnt find anything there. Is there
> another way to do it in windows or another utility that can do it for me?
>
> I googled it and couldnt find anything.
>

> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Do you use Internet Explorer ?
And:
What Version of Windows are you using ?

"VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
> documents, programs, and websites?"
>

> Taskbar and Start Menu properties
> Start Menu tab
> Customize
> Clear button <------ Disable this
>

> I checked through gpedit and couldnt find anything there. Is there
> another way to do it in windows or another utility that can do it for me?
>
> I googled it and couldnt find anything.
>

> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

This is an XP group, James!

--

"James Frellsen" <n3292w@jam.rr.com> wrote in message
> Do you use Internet Explorer ?
> And:
> What Version of Windows are you using ?
>

> "VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
>> documents, programs, and websites?"
>>

>> Taskbar and Start Menu properties
>> Start Menu tab
>> Customize
>> Clear button <------ Disable this
>>

>> I checked through gpedit and couldnt find anything there. Is there
>> another way to do it in windows or another utility that can do it for me?
>>
>> I googled it and couldnt find anything.
>>

>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Kelly,

Hey! You are Mardi Gras......

Since the person wanted to know how to:
"Remove records of recently accessed documents, programs, and websites?"

I was going to suggest:
Right click the Internet Explorer Icon on the Desktop...
Click on, properties.....
On the Internet Properties Tab
Click on Settings....
Click on View Files...
Go To Edit {top left of window}
Select All
hit delete...
Close that window
click ok
then on the Main Tab of Internet Properties
Click, Clear History

Then Right click anywhere between .... Start and the clock
click on properties
click on Start Menu
Click on Customize
and click on the Clear Button

Or did I miss something ?

James

> This is an XP group, James!
>
> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "James Frellsen" <n3292w@jam.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Do you use Internet Explorer ?
>> And:
>> What Version of Windows are you using ?
>>

>> "VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
>>> documents, programs, and websites?"
>>>

>>> Taskbar and Start Menu properties
>>> Start Menu tab
>>> Customize
>>> Clear button <------ Disable this
>>>

>>> I checked through gpedit and couldnt find anything there. Is there
>>> another way to do it in windows or another utility that can do it for
>>> me?
>>>
>>> I googled it and couldnt find anything.
>>>

>>> Any help is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Yes, but I am going to assume that you don't want another user to remove these for whatever reason you have. If the person has this capability removed (as you want), it still doesn't remove the ability to remove these from their respective folders by deletion.

"VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message news:OUV0wOXEFHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
> documents, programs, and websites?"
>

> Taskbar and Start Menu properties
> Start Menu tab
> Customize
> Clear button <------ Disable this
>

> I checked through gpedit and couldnt find anything there. Is there
> another way to do it in windows or another utility that can do it for me?
>
> I googled it and couldnt find anything.
>

> Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi James,

That's not the question :) The OP wants to know how to prevent a user from
clearing the recent docs.. etc.

"Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
documents, programs, and websites?""

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"n3292w" <n3292w@jam.rr.com> wrote in message
> Kelly,
>
> Hey! You are Mardi Gras......
>
> Since the person wanted to know how to:
> "Remove records of recently accessed documents, programs, and websites?"
>
> I was going to suggest:
> Right click the Internet Explorer Icon on the Desktop...
> Click on, properties.....
> On the Internet Properties Tab
> Click on Settings....
> Click on View Files...
> Go To Edit {top left of window}
> Select All
> hit delete...
> Close that window
> click ok
> then on the Main Tab of Internet Properties
> Click, Clear History
>
> Then Right click anywhere between .... Start and the clock
> click on properties
> click on Start Menu
> Click on Customize
> and click on the Clear Button
>
> Or did I miss something ?
>
> James

<snip>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

This is the only person that understood what im trying to do. I don't
want the user to have the ability to clear recent documents list. Can
anyone tell me how to do this?

Everyone else misunderstood and gave solutions to other problems and not
the one im speaking of.

Thanks James for understanding what I meant. I thought i described it
perfectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> That's not the question :) The OP wants to know how to prevent a user
> from clearing the recent docs.. etc.
>
> "Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
> documents, programs, and websites?""

Roadrunner

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Sorry I misread your post

> This is the only person that understood what im trying to do. I don't
> want the user to have the ability to clear recent documents list. Can
> anyone tell me how to do this?
>

> Everyone else misunderstood and gave solutions to other problems and not
> the one im speaking of.
>
> Thanks James for understanding what I meant. I thought i described it
> perfectly.
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> Hi James,
>>
>> That's not the question :) The OP wants to know how to prevent a user
>> from clearing the recent docs.. etc.
>>
>> "Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
>> documents, programs, and websites?""

Roadrunner

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I forgot to mention that I have this program which I paid ( $ 25 ) Its call
" Folder lock " This program has up to 12 digit password protection , It
will protected anything that you add into this folder , Have a look at the
website below and click Folder Lock if you like , I hope that help..

http://www.newsoftwares.net/

"RoadRunner" <beepbeep@9y.com> wrote in message
> Sorry I misread your post
>

> "VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>> This is the only person that understood what im trying to do. I don't
>> want the user to have the ability to clear recent documents list. Can
>> anyone tell me how to do this?
>>

>> Everyone else misunderstood and gave solutions to other problems and not
>> the one im speaking of.
>>
>> Thanks James for understanding what I meant. I thought i described it
>> perfectly.
>>

>> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>>
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>>> Hi James,
>>>
>>> That's not the question :) The OP wants to know how to prevent a user
>>> from clearing the recent docs.. etc.
>>>
>>> "Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
>>> documents, programs, and websites?""

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I got confused on who exactly knew what I was talking about. I
originally thought it was james but it was Ramesh. HE had said the name
James in his post and I thought it was his name.

Ramesh, you are the only one who understood my original question. I am
still looking for a solution for it.

The OP wants to know how to prevent a user
>> from clearing the recent docs.. etc.
>>
>> "Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
>> documents, programs, and websites?""

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

The user in question is not smart enought to go and find them and delete
them manually. So my questions stands as stated and am still seeking a
way to grey out that clear button.

Tom wrote:
> Yes, but I am going to assume that you don't want another user to remove these for whatever reason you have. If the person has this capability removed (as you want), it still doesn't remove the ability to remove these from their respective folders by deletion.
>
> "VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message news:OUV0wOXEFHA.2300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
>>Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
>>documents, programs, and websites?"
>>

>>Taskbar and Start Menu properties
>>Start Menu tab
>>Customize
>>Clear button <------ Disable this
>>

>>I checked through gpedit and couldnt find anything there. Is there
>>another way to do it in windows or another utility that can do it for me?
>>
>>I googled it and couldnt find anything.
>>

>>Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I answered you.

--

> The user in question is not smart enought to go and find them and delete
> them manually. So my questions stands as stated and am still seeking a
> way to grey out that clear button.
>
> >Taskbar and Start Menu properties
> >>Start Menu tab
> >>Customize
> >>Clear button <------ Disable this
>

> Tom wrote:
>> Yes, but I am going to assume that you don't want another user to remove
>> these for whatever reason you have. If the person has this capability
>> removed (as you want), it still doesn't remove the ability to remove
>> these from their respective folders by deletion.
>>
>> "VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently accessed
>>>documents, programs, and websites?"
>>>

>>>Taskbar and Start Menu properties
>>>Start Menu tab
>>>Customize
>>>Clear button <------ Disable this
>>>

>>>I checked through gpedit and couldnt find anything there. Is there
>>>another way to do it in windows or another utility that can do it for me?
>>>
>>>I googled it and couldnt find anything.
>>>

>>>Any help is much appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

In the Local Group Policy (gpedit.msc) navigate to User
Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar.
Enable the policy for "Prevent Changes to Taskbar and Start Menu
Settings". This will disable access to the Start Menu and Taskbar
Properties page. If the user can't access the properties page
then they can't access the Clear button. I know it's overkill but
I don't think you're going to find a way to accomplish your
original goal.

You might have gotten a better response if you had outlined what
you're really trying to accomplish. Why do you want that clear
button disabled? If you're trying to prevent a user from covering
their tracks then say so and ask for suggestions.

Nepatsfan
"VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
> The user in question is not smart enought to go and find them
> and delete them manually. So my questions stands as stated and
> am still seeking a way to grey out that clear button.
>
> >Taskbar and Start Menu properties
> >>Start Menu tab
> >>Customize
> >>Clear button <------ Disable this
>

> Tom wrote:
>> Yes, but I am going to assume that you don't want another user
>> to remove these for whatever reason you have. If the person
>> has this capability removed (as you want), it still doesn't
>> remove the ability to remove these from their respective
>> folders by deletion.
>>
>> "VJF" <noip@rochester.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Is there any way to disable "Remove records of recently
>>>accessed documents, programs, and websites?"
>>>

>>>Taskbar and Start Menu properties
>>>Start Menu tab
>>>Customize
>>>Clear button <------ Disable this
>>>

>>>I checked through gpedit and couldnt find anything there. Is
>>>there another way to do it in windows or another utility that
>>>can do it for me?
>>>
>>>I googled it and couldnt find anything.
>>>

>>>Any help is much appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

The second one works for disabling the clear history from internet
options. Agreed, this worked.

The first reg entry does not exist on this xp installation. There is no
internet explorer entry in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\

I appreciate the for help in fixing the first problem. The internet
history clear box is greyed out now.

Now, if I could only disable this box also:

Taskbar and Start Menu properties
Start Menu tab
Customize
Clear button <------ Disable this

The user for some reason is trying to hide recently accessed documents,
media files and programs. I need to find out what he is trying to hide.

Thanks in advance.