Motherboard for HTPC

ianxponent

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Just for the heck of it, I put together some bits and pieces I had kicking around in an effort to try out HTPC to see if it's something I might find useful in the long run and worthy of a more serious investment. No gaming, just video files and music for now. I'm using a venerable combo of a Foxconn 975X7AB-8EKRS2H MB with an E6400 Core2Duo and a simple video card MSI R4350-MD512H . Memory is 4GB of Crucial XMS 800 MHz DDR2. I've put it all in a mid-tower Coolermaster case with Windows 7and everything runs fine. However, the motherboard's Northbridge chip has a noisy fan which is too obtrusive for an HTPC. I bought a replacement fan which did not improve things much. Rather than fiddle further, I though I might just replace the MB as few now have cooling fans for the Northbridge. Two inexpensive boards look good for this: the MSI G41M4-F) and the GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L. Both are about the same price and seem to have similar features. See this comparison. Any thoughts on which might be preferable? Or is it just a tossup? Thanks!

Solution
Crap, didn't even notice that. Completely forgot that at some point some morons thought putting DDR3 on LGA775 was a good idea :(

Then definitely go with Gigabyte :)

ianxponent

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Unfortunately, the ASUS board takes DDR3 memory and I'd like to get by with my existing 4GB of DDR2. I appreciate your input on the other two boards.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Crap, didn't even notice that. Completely forgot that at some point some morons thought putting DDR3 on LGA775 was a good idea :(

Then definitely go with Gigabyte :)

Solution

ianxponent

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Ordered it today from Micro Center for $50 + shipping and a $10 MIR. Interestingly, Frys B&M has the MSI on sale for $50 also and I see where MSI is slapping on a sticker providing a 3 year warranty for USA and Canada. Thanks for your help!