Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my XPS Gen 3

Last response: in Motherboards
March 5, 2011 7:40:54 PM

I really like gaming but I realize my 2005 XPS Gen 3 (despite it's capabilities) is starting to get outdated. I was thinking of building a whole new computer from scratch, but then I noticed that my XPS gen 3 has an amazing cooling system (Graphics card does not go past 65 C when overclocked to 835MHz). I wish to save this cooling system and most of the computer all together. I just want to upgarde my motherboard, CPU and maybe my hard drive (current capacity of 232 GB). Can i do this? Links would be appreciated. :) 

More about : upgrading xps gen

a c 435 V Motherboard
March 5, 2011 10:45:35 PM

You may be able to get a p67 board to fit; Board and 2500K processor are $350 or more plus ddr3, which is still cheap. Might as well go all out and get the latest from Intel; don't see the power supply specs on your machine; if it's not at least 400 watts, plan on upgrading that also. You may be able to get $50-100 for your old board/cpu/ram on ebay. But better to ditch the case also; the custom cooling probably won't work well with the new cpu. If you want more opinions, post this on one of the Dell forums and see how others have upgraded this case.
m
l
March 6, 2011 2:41:58 PM

o1die said:
You may be able to get a p67 board to fit; Board and 2500K processor are $350 or more plus ddr3, which is still cheap. Might as well go all out and get the latest from Intel; don't see the power supply specs on your machine; if it's not at least 400 watts, plan on upgrading that also. You may be able to get $50-100 for your old board/cpu/ram on ebay. But better to ditch the case also; the custom cooling probably won't work well with the new cpu. If you want more opinions, post this on one of the Dell forums and see how others have upgraded this case.

Thanks for the help. It seems though that upgrading such an old computer would be a pain, so I think i will stick with building a computer
m
l
!