Sign in with
Your question

=New System Build= Mountain Mods Extended Ascension

Last response: in Systems
June 9, 2010 7:46:28 PM

OK. So this is a new system build. On actions of which im not quite so sure were the best thing to do.

Such as The other day. After a painstacking week of gaming and being fed up with my current system I decided

to order the Mountain Mods Extended Ascension case that I've been eyeing for a while.

Plus right now my current system has a blown PCI slot possibly not blown but the Northbridge has dammage cuz of overclocking on

an air which dsnt really work best. And after weeks of saving for a new watercooled system and calculating every past and price

I decided to do the MM case with 12 x 120mm fans on top panel, 9 x 120mm fans on front panel, and 5 x 120mm fans on back.

1 x Extended Ascension CYO
- Acrylic Color: Smoked Grey (+$10.00)
- Finish: Mirror Black (+$50.00)
- Motherboard Tray: XL-ATX
- Side 1: Big Window Panel (+$10.00)
- Side 2: Big Window Panel (+$10.00)
- Side 3: Triple Quad (+$10.00)
- Back Panel Type: 10 PCI (+$20.00)
- Front Panel Type: Trinity
Window Etching: None EXTASCENSION 0% $529.99

http://www.mountainmods.com/CYO_picker.php

As you can see this thing will be big. Like huge. Its like 2ft tall and deep and 18 inches wide.

And so it is now that i accept this product of ultimate watercooling and hopefully reliable new system.

The great thing to look forward to is all of what it will offer. That is making sure this thing works as intended and properly.

Ok 6/9

What has apparently happened is Mountain Mods just contacted me to inform me of my order and a little problem within processing. Their out of some parts needed for
the case. The 10 PCI vertical back panel and the Trinity mirrored black Back Panel. They say that there is a two week wait. Or maybe 3 week quite possible.

So I gave Ben, the e-mailer and the cool guy who was understanding of my situation. He also informed me that there was other solutions available such as he can
instead of the Front Panel being in the Trinity setup (9 x 120mm fans & 6 Drive bays) told me that they can instead add the Standard Setup ( 6 x 120mm fans & 12 Drive bays).

So I said no i would rather wait for what my order was intended to receive and I will wait.

I made this decision because i want enough fans to actually pus the air which is simultaneously sucking that same air to push its self enough to reach the back panel where there are as well 5 x 120mm fans. One of the 5 fans is above the motherboard exhausting air. The Board is all I care about.
So yes i chose to wait. While my next order is fans and then fan controllers with temperature sensors for the loop and case.

June 21, 2010 5:00:53 PM

2 weeks old.. no replies.. :cry: 

err.. so... why are you telling us (no offense)
m
l
June 22, 2010 1:25:55 AM

To be honest im posting my build to share to the community. I will hopefully have questions along the way during this build but I am hoping to share my build and the woes in it... Maybe im off topic and in the wrong forum.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2010 9:19:02 AM

Doesn't hurt to share your pc with us I guess :D 

You're dishing out a fair bit on a case. What's going into it?
m
l
June 22, 2010 10:13:15 AM

actually I find high end builds like this kind of intresting to ask questions about.

Well as already mentioned the obvious what's going into it?
m
l
June 22, 2010 10:15:51 AM

Are you just replying wherever I've posted..? ;) 
m
l
June 22, 2010 10:37:00 AM

yup isn't it fun? lol

neh just coincidence(however you spell that) I suppose
m
l
June 22, 2010 12:46:01 PM

.. what's ful?

@deslicks
pls post pics when you've finished the build. Wanna see that case :D 
m
l
June 22, 2010 1:36:35 PM

oops was supposed to be fun.

and yeah and please do tell us the need for... wait I'm getting out my calculator... crap battery is flat...... Aaahh I have a calculator button on my x6(really a nice little feature :D )..... typing in the digits.... and now my athlon 1ghz is pondering about what 12+9+5 is(just kidding lol I don't have an athlon).... 26 fans?
m
l
June 22, 2010 2:34:41 PM

Maybe he is designing a homemade wind tunnel for testing model airplanes... =P

Anyway, do post some pictures and keep us updated on the progress.
m
l
June 22, 2010 2:48:45 PM

now that would be something to brag about having a case with a model glider in it flying due to the ariflow. Nice idea transmaniacon ;) 
m
l
June 22, 2010 2:50:49 PM

Quote:
now that would be something to brag about having a case with a model glider in it flying due to the ariflow. Nice idea transmaniacon ;) 

m
l
June 22, 2010 5:48:53 PM

I will..... Yea sorry guys for my explanation in my build at top... So Iv been writing a book/ commentary of this build on my current CPU and wanted to share some of my thoughts . lol.....

And @ Transmaniacon - Seriously its will be like a wind tunnel....... My whole purpose is to water cool everything........

Right now im still waiting for the case because Apparently Mountain Mods ran out of stock on my front panel and keep telling me it will be here soon....

Will be placing 3 120.4 radiators in this thing.... and freaking 25 fans....
There will be 12 fans at the top exhausting and 9 fans on the front panel and an additional 5 fans on back panel. Too many fans but Overkill is the Point.

I hope to place pictures up but maybe all of you could teach me how to exactly put pictures up

My case is on its was as of today 6-23....... Sop once I get it I will diffenetly be posting pictures... And by then hopefull I will know how....

This whole Build is for overkill and to hold Value as long as it can : )
m
l
June 29, 2010 2:02:18 AM

Hey you guys. I gots the new case and I have some pictures top post up But I really haveing troubly postin pictures.. Do you guys know how I can post pictures up... Its probley easy and i seem dumb but i can just seem to find how to post pictures.
m
l
June 29, 2010 3:17:59 AM

I think you have to host them on one of the free pic sites (photobucket, imageshack etc) and then you use the url to post them here.
m
l
July 1, 2010 6:42:53 PM

Ok everybody. The Massive case is finaly built. Check out these pictures...

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

Ok so next on the agenda is fans and fan filters for the intake and fan controllers.. Though there is a problem... If you guys notice on the top panel there are 12 fan ports making 3 rows of 4. Apparently a flaw I found is that because this case can support two PSU's and on of the PSu's is located on the bottom corner and on is located at the top corner. The one located at the top corner covers a fan hole which means I cant put a quad radiator in that row. Not only that. There isnt enough room between the 5.25 bay drives and the top panel to install a radiator and fans cutting down my plans for making the op panl for Quad Radiators. So what i am thinking is putting 5x Triple radiators everywere else in the case except the top panel. So my original plan was just having 3 Quad radiators on the top panel but I am now going to put Triple 120mm radiators to the front panel, back panel and one on the top panel. Total overkill but whatever...
m
l
July 1, 2010 6:52:21 PM

What do you guys thin. My Mobo, VGA, CPU, RAM, HDD will all be on their own loops...
m
l
July 1, 2010 7:21:29 PM

I never understood what a loops was.

Is it completely seperated or are they all connected like this:

Mobo, radiator, GPU, radiator, ....

And that top panel is just insane. :p 
m
l
July 1, 2010 8:37:22 PM

Yea.. a loop is like what ever componetns are connected to be cooled by a radiator.

Some people connect their CPU and MOBO to one hose line that connects to a radiator and their GPU connected seperatly on its own hose ine to its own dedicated radiator.

So a loop is which ever components, or component connected to a hose line that runs seperatly from any other hose lines.

Hopefully comebody else can help explain what a loop in more detail or better explanation
m
l
July 1, 2010 8:41:24 PM

Well I knew what it was I just wasn't sure wether each loop was completely seperate or just dedicated to a specific component.
m
l
July 1, 2010 11:35:12 PM

No expert on watercooling.. but that case.. :D 
m
l
July 3, 2010 9:48:19 PM

Hey everybody.... Ok so i am having a hard time and need your help.

I dont know what motherboard to go with.......

I just bough like 24 scythe 120mm ultra kaze fans and 4 fan controllers.
Of the 4 fan controllers 2 are ordered from the Uk cause I can find any fan controllers here in the states that support 8 channels..... and the other fan controllers are the Scythe Kaze master PRo 5.25 whihc controles 6 fans and HAS 6 Temp sensors on each controller....... Awesome Each loop i do will monitor the water goin in the water block and the water temp coming out..

Anyways... I cant decide weather to grab the EVGA E760 or the Gigabyte UD7...... I really want the UD7's USB 3.0 and SATA 3 cababilities for sure.... but the EVGA E760 doesnt have that on the board....... But I am difenetly going to overclock.

So what do u guys think..... the UD& has 24 phase power and alot of voltage regulators compared to the E760... and the UD7 is newer technology........ But the E760 is well known for its overclocking.......

DO you think the E760 can out perfrom in overclocking???

What board do you thinnk would be best?

And what about the new EVGA FTW3 > do you think that can be compared??????
m
l
July 3, 2010 10:12:27 PM

If those 3 boards are the options I'd scrap the E760. It's old, ugly and has clumsy heatspreaders. The FTW boards are the direct replacements and they are overall more refined than their predeccers. Granted they'll cost you more but sataIII is a must for this build and I'd try save my pci slots.

As for ftw vs ud7. I prefer gigabyte. They are both amazing boards. But the ud7 being priced higher is inevitably better in terms of cooling and phase power.

I think all three boards will OC good but if you go with high end liquid cooling and a 980 I think the ud7 might be better. Are you actually going with the 980?
m
l
July 3, 2010 10:15:19 PM

Also the built in waterblock with the ud7 might come in handy in your build.
m
l
July 4, 2010 12:57:07 PM

I think the UD7 is the better choice if you have the extra to spend (which you most likely do).
m
l
July 4, 2010 11:48:46 PM

Ok so yea thank you somebody_007 and Mr rabbit Loppy... I do think and I amm pretty sure that i will be going with the Gigabyte UD7 motherboard..... Even though its Japanese and from a foreign ( Because anything close to home is easier customer service) it has 24 phase power and the new sata and usb ports.................. Glad i got that solved.

ok now i actualy have a next question for everybody.....

Ok so right now im running a regular i7 920 cpu......... Do you guys think that it would be better and more efficient if I get higher clocked cpu like the 965,950, or 940 OR overclock my 920.

I ask this because if i grab a better cpu then maybe i dont have to overclock it so much and push it so much as i would have to with the 920...

Do you think it will make more sense to overclock the 920 or grab a 965 and overclock it slightly to 3.8 or 4.0 and reduse the risk of overdoing the cpu or something.

Im just kinda fearful that the 920 wont be able to take the pressure of being overclocked 24/7 even with adequate cooling..

Thank guys. I appreciate all of your input...... and I hope that more people will comment more..
m
l
July 5, 2010 5:04:09 AM

Quote:
Mr rabbit Loppy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/penguinhero/sets/721576145...

Pretty sure that the 965, 950 and 940 are just 920s or 930s with higher clocks already put into them. Using the 920 should be fine. If you're concerned a bit about the longevity of the chip, try putting a less aggressive oc on it, something like 3.6Ghz on stock voltage (just a guide, don't know the actual oc'ing of 920s). That should keep its lifespan nearly as high as if you hadn't oc'ed it, while still increasing speed (as long as it's stable and you cool it well)

Shaping up to be quite a nice computer :bounce: 
m
l
July 5, 2010 8:04:50 AM

yea exactly.. i dont think I will need the need to oc my cpu to 4.0 because my vga's should be able to handle the video rendering and the cpu will provide enough of the logistics... 3.6 is exactly what im looking for.... yea thanks mark....... im glad to hear some feedback.......

Right now i ordered 4 fan controllers. 2 of the controllers are coming from hte UK and their called NesteQ Fanmax which supports 8 channel or 8 fans to controle each... Which is good cuz in the states the most i can find to controle were 6 fans on a controller..... so becuase i will have all these fans i need the most amount of fan controls on a single 5.25 panel..

and the other 2 controller are Scythe Kase Master Pro 5.25 that will have 6 channels each and 6 temp sensors each.

My plan with the 12 temp sensors total will be to put 2 temp sensors in each of the five loops. monitoring the cooled water going into the waterblock and the heated water out. so that i can learn and research and adjust the fans on the radiators accordingly.

so in total i will have 5 loops, VGA, CPU, HDD, MOBO, & RAM - and each will have 2 temp sensors making a total of 10 temp sensors in the loops. This leaves me with 2 extra temp sensors from the 12 total temp sensors and these 2 xtra i will place around the case to monitor the air.

People may ask y do i need all of these fans if im gona water cool..

The answer is for the radiators.... the whole front panel will have 3 triple radiators, the back panel will have a triple radiator and on the top panel will have a triple radiator in the middle row .

Now if you guys look closely at the pictuers above, a PSU is actualy taking up space on the top left side of the case covering a 120mm fan port. Also the amount of space between the 5.25 bay drives and the top panel isnt enough to add radiators and fans. So the whole front row of fans on the top panel will not except any radiators due to the lack of clearance. But in the middle row of the top panel i can place a triple radiator that will take up the 3 fan ports excluiding the front fan port in the middle row..

So yea.... I too dislike all of the darn fans but I just want to do an overkill system where each component has its on dedicated loop and radiator...

And Mountain Mods has been kind enough to engineer a big case for all this stuff,........ WOOT WOOT
m
l
July 5, 2010 8:08:57 AM

LOL those rabbit pics are great :D 

Well people all say those cpu's are the same chip don't buy the expensive one. But actually that isn't entirely true. Cpu's are binned meaning they go through a selection procces the highest performing cpu's will become 975s or 870s(if you get what I mean here).

So all these chips may be manufactured the same but they are actually different performers.

With amd it's even more so. Some of their dual cores are lower binned four cores with two locked cores(because those two didn't work well).

as for 920 or 965. Well as Mark said if you keep it on stock voltage or on the voltage that some OCing websites specify as max then there really shouldn't be a problem. The 965 will OC better but I don't think it is worth it.
m
l
July 5, 2010 8:17:19 AM

Quote:
LOL those rabbit pics are great :D 

:D  thanks really need to bother updating them some time.. they're all old

as for the binning process and whether it's worth it.. Depends how much cash you're spending. With all these fans+watercooling, what actually is your budget?
m
l
July 5, 2010 4:19:47 PM

My budget you guys. lol.... well my budget is slim but i dont mind forking out the cash no matter how long it takes..... im a college student on summer vocation working part time so right now all of my money goes to this System...lol..

lol I know what am i thinking...

And thats very interesting abou this processer selection and binning........

Yea I Wish for a 980x but no way in hell i can save that much money quickly.....

So im gona stick with my 920 for now i guess....... but yea u guys should opt for a Mountain Mods cas if u havnt already..

Actually what do you guys think of these cases......? Do any of you guys Oc or water cool.
m
l
July 5, 2010 4:30:45 PM

I think they are kind of overkill. They are great to have if you've got the WCS to squeeze into it which I don't :p .

And I OC but only sometimes to see how far I can push my system and temps. My 930+ 470+ muskin cl6 is more than adequate so I don't really see a point in heavily OCing yet. But I'm saving for 2d surround now after that an ssd and then comes a 700D with a heavy duty WCS :D 
m
l
July 5, 2010 4:51:23 PM

I would've just used a standard case for the sounds of your budget, that way you save some money and get a more balanced build. But heck if you like to have everything cool and a massive case with lots of watercooling, then that's fine :) 

Never used watercooling myself. Never had a build with enough to bother with it. And Mountain Mods is too expensive for me atm. If I was building a 980X with 480s that would be a different story...
m
l
July 5, 2010 5:04:18 PM

Well mark you say save money for the rest of the build. But the thing is once you get into x58 terretory everything you improve is bassically just for coolness anyways because real world performance upgrades will be minimal whatever you change. So I mean wether you spend it on a bigger case, bigger screen, bigger speakers, better cooling or more screens it's all pretty useless anyways.
m
l
July 5, 2010 5:09:54 PM

meh

you've got a point ;) 
m
l
July 6, 2010 6:54:54 PM

Hey whats up everybody....................

Toatly lol, i want my cpu to be cool. Cool in therma aspect and just cool in asthetic and awesomness...... I would have went with a standard case but no standard case offers me the capabilities of running a multio loop setup.

Ok so I do have another question... Iv been doing me research and im not so sure about the UD7 now....... reason being is that people talk highly of the Asus Rampage Extreme III......

UD7 vs Rampage extreme III.... their very close in temrs of what they offer, and the real only big difference is the color of the board which i dont care.... Both boards offer 3 yr limited warranty.......

Im just curious on what do u guys feel would be a good choice off hand..

The Rampapge looks to offer a litttle more versitileity in RAM by allowing - DDR3 2200(O.C.) / 2133(O.C.) / 2000(O.C.) / 1800(O.C.) / 1600 / 1333 / 1066compared to the UD7 that allows DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800

Also on the boards themselves the RAmpage seems to be more overclocker/gamers friendly by having reset and power switches on the board.

Rampage has 7 SATA 3GB's and Ud7 has 8 SATA ports.

Rampage has 7 USB1.0/2.0 compared to Ud7 has 4 USB 1.0/2.0

Both have 2 USB 3.0/ SATA 6Gb

UD7 has 2 PCI E x 1 compared to Rampage has 1 PCIE x1

Rampage is bigger by an inch width wise (( 12.0" x 10.6" = Rampage) 12.0" x 9.6" = UD7)

The UD7 has more copper in the board and people say its very sterdy and heavy which i like.....

And rampage offers like 10x more features than the UD7

Rampage =
MemOK!
Onboard Switches: Power / Clr CMOS
USB BIOS Flashback
ROG Connect
RC Bluetooth
ProbeIt
ROG Extreme Engine Digi+
iROG
CPU LeveUp
Extreme Tweaker
Loadline Calibration
Voltiminder LED
COP EX
ASUS C.P.R.
ROG Extreme OC Kit
ASUS Fan Xpert
ASUS MyLogo3
ASUS EZ Flash 2
ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
Q-Fan Plus
ROG BIOS Wallpaper
ASUS Q-Connector
ASUS Q-LED
ASUS Q-Slot
ASUS Q-DIMM
4 PCIe 2.0 X16 with CrossFireX and 3-Way SLI Technology support

UD7 =
Support for 2-Way/3-Way ATI CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI technology
Support Smart Dual LAN
1 x floppy disk drive connector supporting up to 1 floppy disk drive

Whats you guyses take on this issue?

Thank u so much for being awesome in TomsHardware
m
l
July 6, 2010 7:02:03 PM

Anothe difference is the phase power difference etween them.

Rampage =

8-phase CPU power
- 3-phase QPI/DRAM power
- 3-phase NB power
- 3-phase Memory power

Ud7 =-

24 phase power

Also would I notice a difference between thse two boards and their phase power.... Or what I mean would I notice a difference in use between their use of phase power...

Rampage III features (again)

Features ROG Connect
RC Bluetooth
ROG Extreme Engine Digi+
- 8-phase CPU power
- 3-phase QPI/DRAM power
- 3-phase NB power
- 3-phase Memory power
- ML Caps on CPU, Memory and QPI respectively
ProbeIt
iROG
Extreme Tweaker
BIOS Flashback with onboard switch button
USB BIOS Flashback
Loadline Calibration
ROG Extreme OC kit
LN2 Mode
PCIe x16 Lane Switch
Q_Reset
Double Power Supply with dual 8-pin (CPU) and dual 4-pin (VGA) molex power connectors
Intelligent overclocking tools:
- ASUS AI Booster Utility
- O.C Profile
Overclocking Protection:
- COP EX (Component Overheat Protection - EX)
- Voltiminder LED
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
Special Features CPU Level Up
MemOK!
Onboard Switches: Power / Reset / Clr CMOS (at rear)
ASUS MyLogo3
ASUS Fan Xpert
ASUS EZ Flash 2
ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
Q-Fan Plus
ROG BIOS Wallpaper
ASUS Q-Connector
ASUS Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED)
ASUS Q-Slot
ASUS Q-DIMM

uD7 FEATURES ( AGAIN)

Support for @BIOS
Support for Q-Flash
Support for Xpress BIOS Rescue
Support for Download Center
Support for Xpress Install
Support for Xpress Recovery2
Support for EasyTune (Note 5)
Support for Dynamic Energy Saver™ 2
Support for Smart 6™
Support for Auto Green
Support for eXtreme Hard Drive
Support for Q-Share
m
l
July 6, 2010 7:11:56 PM

They are both amazing boards. Both ver very Overclocking friendly and they both have onboard reset and power switches. They both have in insane anmount of indicator leds. and they both have very good cooling. You don't really have to go further than that because all the rest is pretty much neglectable.

You'll be very satisfied with both boards. I suppose the only real difference is the size and the one looks cool and the other doesn't. I think you can guess which is which :p .
m
l
July 7, 2010 2:36:08 AM

Most of the differences between the boards are things specific to Asus or Gigabyte. Check all the connections and ports and stuff and make sure they've got everything you want and maybe even a few things you might need in future for upgrading. As *stalker* said both are good boards. Might boil down to the reviews on 'em.
m
l
July 14, 2010 9:03:54 AM

You were talking about what, 4-5 loops? No offense, but you should do your homework boy ;) 

-Here is difference between one loop, and dual dedicated loop. ΔT of only 2°C is not worh all that waste of money for 5 loops.

CEO of Swiftech, go figure:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25...

Happy reading,

Vnix
m
l
July 14, 2010 2:56:23 PM

ok nice Vnix- seriously interesting reading. and this opens up a whole new ball game where if I do install combined components on my loops then I will be saving money, time and the hilarousy thought of dedicated loops..

So then what your trying to tell me is that by having dedicated loops realy doesnt matter or affect the water and cooling efficency that much. That by having dedicated loops my cpu may be more efficient than dedicated.

or possibly a dedicated loop isefficient by 2 degrees which isnt that much.

Plus in those test I just read showed them using a gpu + Cpu in a loop which is extreme to me cuz of all the heat transfer. No wonder why they make quad radiators for combined componets in loops to disipate the heat...

Interesting
m
l
July 31, 2010 4:07:22 AM

Err.. anything new? :) 
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:17:20 PM

Yea, sorry For not being on here posting any new updates. Iv been laying low on my build. My case is up and running with my old 1366 board in it. But iv been waiting for the money and Iv been trying to debate weather it is a good thing to buy a new 1366 board and nvidia gtx 480 card when a year from now x68 chipsets come out and the gtx 490 comes out.
m
l
August 4, 2010 7:16:21 PM

true if you have an lga 1366 board now use untile x68 and the real fermi come out. Thermi ridicules the real potential of GF100.
m
l
August 5, 2010 4:35:33 AM

yea I know but i just said screw it. I totaly just ordered the ASUS Rampage 3 extreme and Nvidia EVGA GTX 480.... kind of excited to use them and maybe down the way I wont need to update my cpu for a while........ I have been waiting for some filters for like 2 weeks now.......

I will put some pics and videow soon put sorry guys for not responding for a while... Iv been busy this summer and I dont make that much money........

Thank you for staying tuned....
m
l
August 10, 2010 7:03:48 AM

deslicks said:
yea I know but i just said screw it. I totaly just ordered the ASUS Rampage 3 extreme and Nvidia EVGA GTX 480.... kind of excited to use them and maybe down the way I wont need to update my cpu for a while........ I have been waiting for some filters for like 2 weeks now.......

I will put some pics and videow soon put sorry guys for not responding for a while... Iv been busy this summer and I dont make that much money........

Thank you for staying tuned....

:D  We don't mind waiting
m
l
September 10, 2010 5:08:07 PM

Hey everybody, So Iv posted videos of my build and the finished product on youtube. Type in Mountain Mods or deslicks and you will find mw and the videos. I want to post pictures on this forum but im lazy. Check it out......

I havent gotten to the watercooling part just because im feeling insecure. Wat i mean is that this case I have is so dam big. I was re-itterating if I should build a smaller case with mulitiple loops but naw I spent my money in this hige case.

Check it out friends..........
m
l
September 10, 2010 5:17:27 PM

now that's a hot system. I was just about to say get a sound card then I noticed you had one :p .

Btw what peripherals do you have?
m
l
September 11, 2010 1:42:33 AM

You are gonna need some delta fans!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
!