Help: Redhat 7.1 and Diamond Modem Problems

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
This is on my main pc. This one is running Redhat 7.1 and detects all my hardware except for my pci modem. It is a Diamond SupraExpress 56i Pro VCC. Works well under Win98 and 2k. gives a more reliable connection than the other modems I've tried.

I only discovered this problem the other day though I've been running this linux machine for a while. I never tried to connect to the net using linux before.

I've tried <b>/dev/modem</b>, which says <b>could not find modem</b> or something along those lines.

/dev/ttyS0 says modem is busy.
/dev/ttyS1 can't find anything.
/dev/ttyS2 modem is busy.
/dev/ttyS3 can't find anything.

I think that is what the ports said. I've searched several sites but all I could find is more people who've had problems with this combination but could not find any fixes.

Anybody know whats wrong?

thanx.

<font color=red><i>Poor is the pupil, who does not surpass his mentor</i> - Leonardo daVinci</font color=red>

G

What chipset does it use? Linux won't use many "WinModems" as the drivers aren't available. There is a hack for Rockwell/Conexant HSF, and there's a driver for some Lucent models. <A HREF="http://www.linmodems.org" target="_new">www.linmodems.org</A>

If it's a real hardware modem, then it's probably an irq or address conflict (or at least confusion). Use lspci to find out where your card is on the pci bus (irq and base address) then use setserial to tell the kernel where to look for the serial port.

I'm not sure how this will go if the card has been configured to share irqs... you might have to try a different slot for the card in that case.

btw: /dev/modem is normally a symbolic link to the real serial port eg /dev/ttyS3

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Thanx, will try all of that.

Its got the rockwell/conxant chipset. So, I'll try that hack.

<font color=red><i>Poor is the pupil, who does not surpass his mentor</i> - Leonardo daVinci</font color=red>