TRIII & XP

I've had my new pooter for some time now, and decided yesterday to dig out
some of my old favourite games. It would seem that TRIII is incompatible
with XP. :-(

If anyone has had success running it on an XP system, I'd very interested to
hear how you did it?!

Many thanks

--
Lisa

"Lisa" <y5i7l9345mp@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
> I've had my new pooter for some time now, and decided yesterday to
> dig out some of my old favourite games. It would seem that TRIII is
> incompatible with XP. :-(
>
> If anyone has had success running it on an XP system, I'd very
> interested to hear how you did it?!
>
> Many thanks

Well um, no, I'm running TR III fine under XP Pro SP2. The one that
just bombed on ME was Chronicles! In fact, TR3 is running great, no
problems at all. Wait, I just upgraded video drivers....I better check
em all again!

Problem might be in your vid driver.
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:
> "Lisa" <y5i7l9345mp@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
>> I've had my new pooter for some time now, and decided yesterday to
>> dig out some of my old favourite games. It would seem that TRIII is
>> incompatible with XP. :-(
>>
>> If anyone has had success running it on an XP system, I'd very
>> interested to hear how you did it?!
>>
>> Many thanks
>
> Well um, no, I'm running TR III fine under XP Pro SP2. The one that
> just bombed on ME was Chronicles! In fact, TR3 is running great, no
> problems at all. Wait, I just upgraded video drivers....I better
> check em all again!
>
> Problem might be in your vid driver.

I suspect you're right. Before installing the patch I got a black screen
and about a nanosecond of music which kept repeating itself. Now I get a
black screen with the background music playing normally. :-/

Oh well, I'm off to try to fix that, now!

--
Lisa

Lisa wrote:

> McGrandpa wrote:
>> Well um, no, I'm running TR III fine under XP Pro SP2. The one that
>> just bombed on ME was Chronicles! In fact, TR3 is running great, no
>> problems at all. Wait, I just upgraded video drivers....I better
>> check em all again!
>>
>> Problem might be in your vid driver.
>
> I suspect you're right. Before installing the patch I got a black
> screen and about a nanosecond of music which kept repeating itself.
> Now I get a black screen with the background music playing normally.
> :-/
>
> Oh well, I'm off to try to fix that, now!

And it works! Yay! Oh, the nostalgia ... I'm now off to do some
eceologically questionable stuff and shoot some monkeys and tigers and
stuff.

Thanks for your help. :)

--
Lisa

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:57:09 -0000, "Lisa" <y5i7l9345mp@gazeta.pl>
wrote:

>I've had my new pooter for some time now, and decided yesterday to dig out
>some of my old favourite games. It would seem that TRIII is incompatible
>with XP. :-(
>
>If anyone has had success running it on an XP system, I'd very interested to
>hear how you did it?!

There is a patch for XP. It works excellent with my XP-Pro. Check the
Internet. You may have a look at
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com,
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/tr3/faq.html
and here is a download-adress
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/cgi-bin/downloads2/dl.pl?fx_tr3_xptomb3

Best regards
Klaus Petrat

> Lisa wrote:
>
>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>> Well um, no, I'm running TR III fine under XP Pro SP2. The one
>>> that just bombed on ME was Chronicles! In fact, TR3 is running
>>> great, no problems at all. Wait, I just upgraded video
>>> drivers....I better check em all again!
>>>
>>> Problem might be in your vid driver.
>>
>> I suspect you're right. Before installing the patch I got a black
>> screen and about a nanosecond of music which kept repeating itself.
>> Now I get a black screen with the background music playing normally.
>> :-/
>>
>> Oh well, I'm off to try to fix that, now!
>
> And it works! Yay! Oh, the nostalgia ... I'm now off to do some
> eceologically questionable stuff and shoot some monkeys and tigers and
> stuff.
>
> Thanks for your help. :)

Just good to see ya going :)
McG.

Great job! Shoot away - as long as it's only by Lara on screen. ;)

(I had no problems running on XP SP2 too but then again, I have not replayed
the whole game on my PC.)

WY

"Lisa" <y5i7l9345mp@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
> Lisa wrote:
>
>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>> Well um, no, I'm running TR III fine under XP Pro SP2. The one that
>>> just bombed on ME was Chronicles! In fact, TR3 is running great, no
>>> problems at all. Wait, I just upgraded video drivers....I better
>>> check em all again!
>>>
>>> Problem might be in your vid driver.
>>
>> I suspect you're right. Before installing the patch I got a black
>> screen and about a nanosecond of music which kept repeating itself.
>> Now I get a black screen with the background music playing normally.
>> :-/
>>
>> Oh well, I'm off to try to fix that, now!
>
> And it works! Yay! Oh, the nostalgia ... I'm now off to do some
> eceologically questionable stuff and shoot some monkeys and tigers and
> stuff.
>
> Thanks for your help. :)
>
> --
> Lisa

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:05:11 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

Do you know if there is a patch for all the TR series will run under
XP Pro ...... or which ones will and won't?

Thx

>"Lisa" <y5i7l9345mp@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
>> Lisa wrote:

>>> I suspect you're right. Before installing the patch I got a black
>>> screen and about a nanosecond of music which kept repeating itself.
>>> Now I get a black screen with the background music playing normally.
>>> :-/
>>>
>>> Oh well, I'm off to try to fix that, now!
>>
>> And it works! Yay! Oh, the nostalgia ... I'm now off to do some
>> eceologically questionable stuff and shoot some monkeys and tigers and
>> stuff.
>>
>> Thanks for your help. :)
>
>Just good to see ya going :)
>McG.

Dracman and Stellas sites for the patches. Not sure which is what or
which works or not, will have to go through the process all over again
myself!
McG.

<WyleCoyote@cactus.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:05:11 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Do you know if there is a patch for all the TR series will run under
> XP Pro ...... or which ones will and won't?
>
> Thx
>

>> "Lisa" <y5i7l9345mp@gazeta.pl> wrote in message

>>> And it works! Yay! Oh, the nostalgia ... I'm now off to do some
>>> eceologically questionable stuff and shoot some monkeys and tigers
>>> and stuff.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help. :)
>>
>> Just good to see ya going :)
>> McG.

>> Do you know if there is a patch for all the TR series will run under
>> XP Pro ...... or which ones will and won't?

TR1 needs VDMSOUND, for dos sound. Glidos includes a link to vdmsound
and also improves the video.

TR2 runs as is.

TR3 and TR4 patches from Stella's site work, but the FMV's may not
play on some machines.

TR5 is the last one requiring an XP patch.

All of the patches can be found at Stella's site, www.tombraiders.net