dual booting xp home xp pro

Hi

I am running XP Home on one drive and XP Pro on another drive in the same
system. I also am using Acronis disk director with a their OS boot selector.
I want to be able at boot up to be able to select what drive I start. My
stuff on the Home drive and the Kids stuff on the Pro drive.

My problem is I cant get the system to notice the XP Pro drive as a boot
option. Both drives will boot when the other drive is disconnected.I don't
have room to add a external boot device so it must be done with software.

I have tried moving the jumper settings on the second drive to master (
system wont boot) Cable and Slave. I can find the drive trough Windows
explorer when booted to Home.

When I was trying to install XP Pro on the second drive I could not install
it under I disconnected the original drive, SO I assume everything on the 2
drive is set to C. Is there some boot options on the boot loader that must
be changed or added, to indicate there is another drive with XP on it?

Is there another program or option I need to consider? Any suggestions
appreciated.

TIA
Rick
4 answers Last reply
More about dual booting home

    Rick, this might be corrected by having both drives connected and using
    the Recovery Console. You will be primarily
    interested in the Bootcfg /add command. Take a look here for further
    info
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];314058

    "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am running XP Home on one drive and XP Pro on another drive in the same
    > system. I also am using Acronis disk director with a their OS boot
    > selector. I want to be able at boot up to be able to select what drive I
    > start. My stuff on the Home drive and the Kids stuff on the Pro drive.
    >
    > My problem is I cant get the system to notice the XP Pro drive as a boot
    > option. Both drives will boot when the other drive is disconnected.I don't
    > have room to add a external boot device so it must be done with software.
    >
    > I have tried moving the jumper settings on the second drive to master (
    > system wont boot) Cable and Slave. I can find the drive trough Windows
    > explorer when booted to Home.
    >
    > When I was trying to install XP Pro on the second drive I could not
    > install it under I disconnected the original drive, SO I assume everything
    > on the 2 drive is set to C. Is there some boot options on the boot loader
    > that must be changed or added, to indicate there is another drive with XP
    > on it?
    >
    > Is there another program or option I need to consider? Any suggestions
    > appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    > Rick

    Ok I will give it a try. Can you advise on what setting the second drive
    should be at. At present is set as a primary slave.

    Thanks
    Rick
    "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Rick, this might be corrected by having both drives connected and using
    > the Recovery Console. You will be primarily
    > interested in the Bootcfg /add command. Take a look here for
    > further info
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];314058
    >

    > "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am running XP Home on one drive and XP Pro on another drive in the same
    >> system. I also am using Acronis disk director with a their OS boot
    >> selector. I want to be able at boot up to be able to select what drive I
    >> start. My stuff on the Home drive and the Kids stuff on the Pro drive.
    >>
    >> My problem is I cant get the system to notice the XP Pro drive as a boot
    >> option. Both drives will boot when the other drive is disconnected.I
    >> don't have room to add a external boot device so it must be done with
    >> software.
    >>
    >> I have tried moving the jumper settings on the second drive to master (
    >> system wont boot) Cable and Slave. I can find the drive trough Windows
    >> explorer when booted to Home.
    >>
    >> When I was trying to install XP Pro on the second drive I could not
    >> install it under I disconnected the original drive, SO I assume
    >> everything on the 2 drive is set to C. Is there some boot options on the
    >> boot loader that must be changed or added, to indicate there is another
    >> drive with XP on it?
    >>
    >> Is there another program or option I need to consider? Any suggestions
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Rick

    Also can you advise what would the language be to add XP Pro that's
    installed in partition 1 on d drive?

    Thanks
    Rick
    "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I am running XP Home on one drive and XP Pro on another drive in the same
    > system. I also am using Acronis disk director with a their OS boot
    > selector. I want to be able at boot up to be able to select what drive I
    > start. My stuff on the Home drive and the Kids stuff on the Pro drive.
    >
    > My problem is I cant get the system to notice the XP Pro drive as a boot
    > option. Both drives will boot when the other drive is disconnected.I don't
    > have room to add a external boot device so it must be done with software.
    >
    > I have tried moving the jumper settings on the second drive to master (
    > system wont boot) Cable and Slave. I can find the drive trough Windows
    > explorer when booted to Home.
    >
    > When I was trying to install XP Pro on the second drive I could not
    > install it under I disconnected the original drive, SO I assume everything
    > on the 2 drive is set to C. Is there some boot options on the boot loader
    > that must be changed or added, to indicate there is another drive with XP
    > on it?
    >
    > Is there another program or option I need to consider? Any suggestions
    > appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    > Rick

    Rick, take a look at this
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317521

    "Rick" <fayetpd@powersupply.net> wrote in message
    > Also can you advise what would the language be to add XP Pro that's
    > installed in partition 1 on d drive?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Rick
    > "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am running XP Home on one drive and XP Pro on another drive in the same
    >> system. I also am using Acronis disk director with a their OS boot
    >> selector. I want to be able at boot up to be able to select what drive I
    >> start. My stuff on the Home drive and the Kids stuff on the Pro drive.
    >>
    >> My problem is I cant get the system to notice the XP Pro drive as a boot
    >> option. Both drives will boot when the other drive is disconnected.I
    >> don't have room to add a external boot device so it must be done with
    >> software.
    >>
    >> I have tried moving the jumper settings on the second drive to master (
    >> system wont boot) Cable and Slave. I can find the drive trough Windows
    >> explorer when booted to Home.
    >>
    >> When I was trying to install XP Pro on the second drive I could not
    >> install it under I disconnected the original drive, SO I assume
    >> everything on the 2 drive is set to C. Is there some boot options on the
    >> boot loader that must be changed or added, to indicate there is another
    >> drive with XP on it?
    >>
    >> Is there another program or option I need to consider? Any suggestions
    >> appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Rick

Configuration Boot Windows XP