All memory not being seen by system?

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I'm running windows 7, x64. My mobo is an EP45-DS3L. RAM is Corsair DDR2 800 (PC2-6400).

I have 4 GB of RAM installed. But looking at the performance chart in the task manager, the total MB listed is 3326.

Does this mean my system is not seeing and utilizing all of the RAM I have installed? And if so, what could be the cause of this?

Thanks for your help.

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I'm running 64 bit.

Installed from a 64 bit disc and system info confirms it.

So there must be some other explanation...

-- Also I just noticed in System Info under Installed Memory: 4.00 GB (3.25 GB usable)

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks Davcon. You suggestion did the trick. Total memory now reads: 4094.

Why would Max Memory have been checked in the first place? The number listed in that Max memory box was "0."

Also wondering if somehow this issue could be related to overclocking?

TBH i have no idea why some boards do that.
I have 3 rigs and none of mine had that issue.
No i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with oc'ing.

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Interestingly enough, in the case of my system, this seems to be related to overclocking.

I had my system overclocked to 3.52 and when I restarted after unchecking "maximum memory" the system had returned to 2.4.

In the BIOS I get the message: "System has experienced boot failures because of overclocking." The BIOS retains my overclocking settings, but the system won't run them.

I have tried adjusting my overclock, and even lowering it--but now it seems I cannot overclock at all.

Any ideas?

intzor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Well, in case this might be of help to anyone who comes across this looking for an answer to the same question, I just learned that the 700 mb of memory that shows up as unavailable is allocated to Windows 7. So it is not that Windows isn't seeing the full 4 GB of memory, but rather that it reserves a portion of it for itself. So there was no problem, after all. Though I think it would be nice if MS indicated this to the user somehow. There are a number of other people in forums asking about this out of the belief that Windows isn't seeing all of their RAM. A little note in the information panel stating that the unavailable memory is "Reserved by Windows 7" would probably spare users some anxiety.

Here is a link to the thread where I found this information:

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/5816-windows-7-64-bit-ram-issue.html

daship

Distinguished