Gta 4 hardware requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,
iam having dual core processor,2GB ram and 256 MB graphics card,.. i want to know whether i can play GTA 4 on my PC

You need to be much more specific. What dual core processor do you have? A pentium D, an Athlon X2, a Core i3, a Phenom II X2? How fast is it? What 256MB graphics card do you have? There are lots of them all of varying performance.

GTA IV is poorly ported so it tends to do poorly on mid level hardware. It shows significant hits when on duals rather than quads.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Here's the easiest way of doing this, buy it, install and play it. If it doesn't play, take it back. Simple as that. Although I doubt you can, cards with 256 memory tend to have been earlier series. Probably something like a Nvidia 6200. Am I right?

jefe323

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

bad idea, most stores don't accept software returns if the package is opened

just give us your specific system specs...

Ahha.. The infamous GTA IV.. Made me upgrade from my 256MB 7800GTX to 1GB HD 4870.. Still it was not fluid with the frame rates.. May be my C2D E6750 (overclocked to 3.2 GHz BTW) was the problem.. Hopefully OP Would've got an idea from this..

Hello,
iam having dual core processor,2GB ram and 256 MB graphics card,.. i want to know whether i can play GTA 4 on my PC

Not easily. In fact you might be able to run it on low settings but not happily. GTA IV needs at least a triple core or quad core CPU, at least 512MB of GPU memory (but 1GB will be best) and 2GB of RAM.

I haven't played it in a while to see if there are any performance patches but even with my HD4870, Q6600 @ 3GHz and 4GB of memory it was a bit hard to max out.

Wasn't a bad port rather the engine was coded for at least a triple core thanks to the CPU in the 360.

As for why it needs so much GDDR when the 360 has so little is a bit beyond me. I think they improved the textures in the PC version which might account for it.

is the 256MB graphics a ATI..........................................................?
HD 3200?, HD 4200....................they are very powerful u know, can play left4dead2
or are you talking about something like a Nvidia 8600?

Um playing L4D2 and GTA IV are not the same. L4D2 is on the Source engine which is going on 6 years old this November so its extremley optimized. The GTA IV engine is not.

Thats useless. It just uses the dev specs that don't really tell you enough.

From my experience people with a triple/quad, 1Gb GPU and 3GB+ of system RAM can run the game and enjoy it while those with less don't. I even read some post of people with high end nVidia cards at the time having performance issues even on medium with a dual core.

Status
Not open for further replies.