Sign in with
Your question
Solved

One hard drive running windows getting ssd

Last response: in Storage
August 1, 2012 5:23:20 PM

Hello,
I am a gamer running on a western digital 5400rpm hdd. I love battlefield 3 but the boot time into game is horrible. I am looking at an ocz vertex 4 128gb for $100. Looks perfect for my use. Only question is this: how will it work? I hav never run two drives at once so i guess im wondering about it. My question is will I have to install windows on the ssd or can i boot up like normal on my western digital and access the games through the ssd whenever i want to play? Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

More about : hard drive running windows ssd

August 1, 2012 11:22:21 PM

bump pls need help
m
l
August 1, 2012 11:59:22 PM

It's pretty easy, you install the new HD. Either you install windows on SSD, or just re install BF3 on SSD. Either way works, windows would boot much faster, if you re install windows on the SSD, and install BF3 on SSD. Since there is much less space on SSD you should configure windows, to have things like my docs, and downloads to your old HD ill research and post links for you. The major disadvantage for installing windows on your SSD windows will default your installation for all programs to your SSD, as windows will see your SSD to C:. I have had to uninstall and re install programs, because I forgot to change the default location. In the grand scheme of things not that big of a deal I guess.
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2012 12:10:27 AM

In Windows 7 My doc's and My downloads are called Libraries, To change the location, whre a library is stored see this

To avoid programs installing to SSD by accident,http://www.intowindows.com/change-default-installation-..." target="_blank"> use this to change where windows defualt installations to.[/url

I have found that Windows, or some games can be stubborn and although you change where the Libraries are stored on your computer, they will defualt to your primary HD (C:) .

I hope this all helps good luck.
m
l
August 2, 2012 12:56:34 AM

Depending on the number of programs you run, you can leave it as is, just make sure you monitor your usage on a regular basis.

It would be more benefitial in terms of making use of the SSD and installing fresh copy of Windows 7 on it too. Just make sure you google some SSD installation guides there's quite a few good ones I used Sean's Guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-inst...

Because in order to run your SSD there are some configurations that are crucial to make in Windows 7 in order for your SSD to run efficiently.

Running SSD and HDD combinations is similar to having one HDD but 2 Partitions so once installed, the SSD will be eg. C:\ and your HDD can be G:\ or whatever letter it is.

I've only just recently upgraded and the results are worth it, I'm a gamer too and I mainly play FPS, just the time difference of loading the game and joining servers is like up to 1-2 minutes difference between me and my mates.

Overall there are many configurations that you can do, have a bit of a read from other user experiences, like the one mentioned above about installing your game on SSD, however just in my opinion its a waste, just putting the SSD there for one game otherwise buy a smaller 60GB or so if you choose to go down that path.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to this as well, thought it was good to give an explanantion from a newbie as well =]
m
l

Best solution

August 2, 2012 2:54:38 AM

newtoIT said:

I've only just recently upgraded and the results are worth it, I'm a gamer too and I mainly play FPS, just the time difference of loading the game and joining servers is like up to 1-2 minutes difference between me and my mates.

Overall there are many configurations that you can do, have a bit of a read from other user experiences, like the one mentioned above about installing your game on SSD, however just in my opinion its a waste, just putting the SSD there for one game otherwise buy a smaller 60GB or so if you choose to go down that path.
explanantion from a newbie as well =]

I think that any hard drive he buys will be much faster, as long as its not 5400 RPM, see video. I kinda eluded to Installing windows on the SSD, and only installing certian games on the SSD. perhapes i did not make my self clear. That guide you linked to was great though. The other thing I would like to address is the load time on games here is a great video showing performance of what you should expect when loading games. Going from 5400RPM to SSD is like Going from a Ford Focus to a Porsche, you'll be happy I am sure.

I happen to agree with the second part here.... I think SSD's are a waste, no offence to anybody but for me there are other things I would like to spend the money on. SSD's are cool, but are still a 1-3 years away from being in a computer I own. Unless the price per gig and capacity comes close of that to a tradional HD, I'll wait. I run A hybrid drive in my laptop it was like $40 more than the regular 750 GB hd's it boots in like 11 sec vs a ssd 6 sec For example my desktop runs 5 1.5 TB HD's in raid 0 I get damn good performance, the same if not better than SSD, and it's pretty flipping cool to tell people you have 7 TB in HD space.
August 2, 2012 5:04:04 PM

Thanks so much guys. It seems like the best solution is to set the ssd as my primary drive- install windows on it and run the 5400rpm as secondary storage for music/movies etc.
m
l
August 2, 2012 5:05:33 PM

Best answer selected by Estabon.
m
l
!