Sign in with
Your question

Looking for some advice for a 2560x1600 card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2010 5:55:37 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on a suitable replacement video card. It's for a relatively high-end PC used mainly for graphics, publishing and photo editing. The card is driving a 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

I've currently got a Club-brand Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512 which has been fine for a couple of years. But....after a recent PSU problem the machine has taken to blanking the screen occasionally - every few hours - as if in a power-saving mode and the only way of getting anything back on the screen is to re-boot. There doesn't seem to be any common cause or trigger and through a process of elimination it's looking like the graphics card is the culprit.

The 8800 has done everything I want and I would have gone out and bought another of the same but, of course, after two years things have moved on.

I'd be grateful for any pointers to a current suitable replacement - or any other advice that might come to mind.

TIA,

Gazza

More about : advice 2560x1600 card

a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 6:09:18 PM

Depending on your budget, since you don't seem to be doing any gaming, there are a lot of cost effective solutions. Most any modern Video Card can display that resolution in non 3D environments.

If you want another 8800, get a GTS250. It is an evolutionary product of the card you have now, and you won't have any issues with drivers, both being Nvidia and all. If you can give a budget, there might be better suggestions available, either performance-wise or economically.
May 4, 2010 6:33:49 PM

Thanks - I don't really have a budget in mind. I bought the card to drive the monitor and it seemed that few cards supported the resolution at the time. Can't recall the numbers but was pricey then - I think it's something to do with the brain blanking out unpleasant memories!! With such monitors now far more common I assumed/hoped that suitable cards will be more reasonably priced.

I had a quick look around a few manufacturers' web sites but although I'm fairly tech-savvy I've never been particularly interested in graphics cards (not being a gamer) and I struggled to see the differences between the various current offerings and their USPs.

I guess what I could be after what is a pretty basic card these days - all I want is high-res, 32-bit colour that is rock-solid on screen (presumably the latter isn't an issue with LCD monitors).....don't know what else really. Told you I'm not that interested in graphics cards.....
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2010 6:44:37 PM

DX11 desktop/HTC card from ATI: 5570 DDR2 $75:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DX10 desktop/HTC card from Nvidia: GT240 DDR3 $75:

Both cards will fulfill your needs, and both are from XFX, whom I always suggest for Americans/Canadians, for their double lifetime warranty in these regions. I don't know if DX11 is important to you (I doubt it since you aren't a gamer or care about video cards), but in your situation, the GT240 should be the easiest install, due to not having to deal with driver cleanups like going from Nvidia to ATI cards. It might even be a bit overpowered for your needs, but that can only mean it would live a long sedate life in your computer, heh.
June 25, 2010 11:19:23 AM

JofaMang said:
DX11 desktop/HTC card from ATI: 5570 DDR2 $75:

DX10 desktop/HTC card from Nvidia: GT240 DDR3 $75:

Both cards will fulfill your needs, and both are from XFX, whom I always suggest for Americans/Canadians, for their double lifetime warranty in these regions. I don't know if DX11 is important to you (I doubt it since you aren't a gamer or care about video cards), but in your situation, the GT240 should be the easiest install, due to not having to deal with driver cleanups like going from Nvidia to ATI cards. It might even be a bit overpowered for your needs, but that can only mean it would live a long sedate life in your computer, heh.

Are you crazy? He is running a 2560x1600 monitor. No way a 5570 can run it... More like a 5850!
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 25, 2010 11:41:08 AM

Karl_ Don't post if you don't know what your talking about.... The OP isn't gaming, Just publishing and video editing. A 5570 is capable of displaying at 2560 x 1600. The OP doesn't need anything more powerful.
!