Sign in with
Your question

Doubts about Chieftec Super Series CFT-750-14CS - EPS12V - 110-120/200-240 V 750

Last response: in Components
August 10, 2010 8:42:24 PM

Hello peeps,

I just ordered my new computer (parts), which are the following:

- Kingston 4GB(2 x 2GB), 1333MHz, DDR3,
- Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 PCIE
- Asrock 870 Extreme3
- AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 2.8 GHz -Socket AM3 - L3 6 MB - Box
- Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ - hard disk - 1 TB - intern - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 tpm

+ DVD, CPU cooler,

I plan to supply this computer with the following power supply:
- Chieftec Super Series CFT-750-14CS - EPS12V - 110-120/200-240 - 750 Watt

The store does not have completed the order yet, so I still have the option to swap power supplies.
I found some positive reviews of the supply but on forums a lot of negative stories arise around Chieftec Powersupplies, just based on the brand name instead of the posters own experiences.

However, this raised enough questions for me to ask your people opinion here on this forum.

What do you think? SHould I keep the PSU or go through the hassel of changing it and paying more for an Antec PSU for example??

Thanks in advance!
a c 126 ) Power supply
August 10, 2010 9:03:46 PM

I can't seem to find information on it. Given that the input voltage is given as a pair of ranges rather than a single range (e.g. 90-240VAC), I will assume it does NOT have full range active PFC. As a result, at best it is an older, inefficient design. Most likely, it is also overrated. At worst, it has a lot of ripple and noise, and may be poorly regulated, such that it is not suitable to power a computer (at least not for long). In your place, I'd get that Antec, of at least 500W for one HD5850, or 650W if you plan to Crossfire two of them. Check prices though, sometimes Antec has great deals, for example a higher wattage model for the same or lower price than a similar but lower wattage version.
Other than Antec, other quality brands include Corsair, Seasonic, and Enermax.
a b ) Power supply
August 10, 2010 9:18:04 PM

If you were to return the PSU, what would be your monetary limit?
Related resources
August 10, 2010 9:25:23 PM

Onus said:

@ Jit: Hmm I am not allowed to edit my own post, wanted to thank you for the info and included a link in my previous reply with the PSU and some more info on it
a c 243 ) Power supply
August 10, 2010 9:30:09 PM

knarfske said:
Hello peeps,

I just ordered my new computer (parts), which are the following:

- Kingston 4GB(2 x 2GB), 1333MHz, DDR3,
- Sapphire HD5850 1GB GDDR5 PCIE
- Asrock 870 Extreme3
- AMD Phenom II X6 1055T / 2.8 GHz -Socket AM3 - L3 6 MB - Box
- Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ - hard disk - 1 TB - intern - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 tpm

+ DVD, CPU cooler,

I plan to supply this computer with the following power supply:
- Chieftec Super Series CFT-750-14CS - EPS12V - 110-120/200-240 - 750 Watt

The store does not have completed the order yet, so I still have the option to swap power supplies.
I found some positive reviews of the supply but on forums a lot of negative stories arise around Chieftec Powersupplies, just based on the brand name instead of the posters own experiences.

However, this raised enough questions for me to ask your people opinion here on this forum.

What do you think? SHould I keep the PSU or go through the hassel of changing it and paying more for an Antec PSU for example??

Thanks in advance!

It's a CWT built unit using the PSH platform, basically the same as a Corsair TX750, I'd keep it.
August 10, 2010 10:00:51 PM

delluser1 said:
It's a CWT built unit using the PSH platform, basically the same as a Corsair TX750, I'd keep it.

Sorry for being a real noob on this :heink:  but that were two abbreviations I do not know (CWT = company?) I can not find by googling very fast.

Can you maybe explain shortly what CWT and PSH is and why this is a good sign?

Many many thanks.... :hello: 
a c 92 ) Power supply
August 10, 2010 10:11:15 PM

CWT = Channel Well Technologies. Its a company that actually makes PSUs. They make them, then sell them to the companies you've heard of like Corsair, Chieftech, etc. I'm not sure if PSH stands for anything, but its a model of one of their popular PSUs. Assuming Delluser is right and I have no reason to believe he is wrong you are good to use that PSU.
August 10, 2010 10:29:36 PM

tnx, I think I gonna stick with the Chieftec then
a c 126 ) Power supply
August 10, 2010 10:31:37 PM

If that is the case, then it is ok; like I said I didn't find anything on it.
As to the UPS issues your review mentioned, they can be resolved by using a true sinewave UPS. My SG-650 (also Delta-built) is the same way; it powers off immediately with a lesser UPS, but will work just fine on a "good" (i.e. true sinewave) one.
!