WD Scorpio blue 500gb HDD not working

moar

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
So my friend gave me this external hdd (samsnung nm-0802) which i unfortunately dropped, the hard drive was making the normal noise when it was plugged but not detected by computers i tried multiple computers and i didn't work. I decided to open it to see if i can connect it to my pc. I realized it actually has a western digitat scorpio blue in it (which happens to be SATA) so i decided to connect to my pc and see if it is working, and i remove the usb enclosure from the sata port. I only had two sata cables in my pc one for my hdd and other for dvd. So i removed the cable from the dvd drive and put it in the HDD along with power while the computer was running ( i think) then placed it on a metal stand inside the case , it was making some noise for some time but then stopped and till this very moment not a single sounds and no it wasn't detected by bios . I tired also the SATA cable that was in my HDD and the power cable along it . Did i *** this HDD ( i think this has to do with static or heat :/ ) and if so is there anyway to retreive the data in this HDD.
Thx , in advance

Hard drives are really sensitive. If you dropped it chances are it no longer works. It should still be recognized by your computer though. It would probably make awful noises and not be able to read/write but should still be detected. Unless the PCB on the hard drive itself is severely damaged.

moar

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Dude but before i removed it from usb enclosure it was spinning now it doesn't spin at all and doesn't make any noise , so what is the wrong thing i did, and is it dead this way ?

It doesn't work in the USB external case either?

popatim

Titan
Dude you dropped it. HDD internals are like small record players except if the heads hit the platter then it damages both. I think you can see how dropping it might cause that to happen right?

Put it back int he case and pray you didnt break the warranty stickers and see if samsung still shows it being under warranty. If it is then send it in. If not you can probably buy a new external hdd cheaper than you can buy another scorpio blue.

moar

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

No it doesn't, i think i damaged the pcb when i connected it in my computer
It might have been fried? I haven't seen any smoke or smell

moar

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Meh :( Dude thing is i want to recover the data in it because it is my friend's. I was just hoping that the drop might have just affected the usb enclosure because the hdd was spinning after the fall but then stopped spinning after my attempt to connect it to my pc. I think now the pcb is damaged but the hdd itself might be ok(the head and the platter) thus i might replace the pcb with one from a scropio blue 320gb HDD that i own. So can this be possible, and is it even worth it or the Hdd is probably dead anyway. If it was mine and i didnt need the data i would have tried the freezer thing :p, but since it is my friend's i gotta try to get him his data.
Anyway tell me what do u think and thx in advance ;)

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
I don't think so. I've tried to find ways of recovering dropped hard drives and usually they're toast. I dropped one once and even the recovery center couldn't recover any data. If the drive is still under warranty.. which if you opened it up most likely voided it then your pretty screwed. Unless i hear of any new theories i still got a few drives that have the 'excessive shock syndrome' which i should just open them, let it sit out in the rain then give it to an electronics recycling center.

moar

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

Dude the HDD is bought from china and i am in Egypt , it is 4 years old so anyway there is no chance of warranty xD
The rain thing made me laugh xD Anyway i will give it a shot at a computer care shop and see if there is any hope. IF not will try the freezer thing , if that didn't work either i will just give my friend a 320 gb external hard disk that i don't need :p
Thanks everyone for the help , i guess hard disks are the most sissy part in a computer

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Hard drives are usually the first thing that goes out in a computer... that or lack of a certain system resource unless you build them & hope you don't have to upgrade much. If your willing to pay big bucks for data recovery, otherwise getting a new drive is better. I couldn't keep my 1TB running without my cat pulling the cords out along with the drive itself which also destroyed my laptop which now i just get internal drives and primarily use desktops. Having an external drive is nice (still have one) and trying to find a good spot where it's not going to get broken is ridiculously hard.. sure, having it on a stable surface is fine but when someone grabs a hold of the cord.. flash drives might be better or the 2.5" usb powered hdds might be the way to go. Either that, lots and lots of bubble wrap.

moar

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Dude get ur cat something to play with other than ur computer components :p, scratch post and toys...etc
And perhaps get a cable clamp to reduce the risk of cords being pulled ;)
And no i would never pay big buck for recovery my friend's father data is there but i think he can retreive them from other sources without paying double the HDD price , but anyway i am still hoping it might stand a chance to be fixed