Hard disk detected at first but not after OS is selected for boot

Well, my Seagate Barracuda 500GB suffered a power failure. It is detected at POST and even GRUB loads off it. But after I select an OS, it's partition isn't detected. When I select linux, the kernel is successfully loaded from it's partition (so that partition is found) but it gives me a kernel panic saying that the root partition wasn't found. As for Windows 7, GRUB just shows a message saying the partition couldn't be found.
On booting into Win7 on another hard disk, the partitions of the hard disk in question aren't present.
And after that when I restart, the hard disk isn't even detected at POST. It is again detected only when I unplug the power from the motherboard, plug it back in and then switch on.
So, I am hoping that the data can be somehow salvaged. I don't care about the hard disk. I just care about the data.
5 answers Last reply
More about hard disk detected selected boot
  1. If loading to an OS on another drive won't let you access the partitions in question... Not good.

Try to find a local data recovery provider and see if anything can be salvaged off the drive.
  2. test your hardware

where is your data backup?
  3. apache_lives said:
    test your hardware

The hardwares fine. Plugging in other hard disks in it's place works fine.
    apache_lives said:
    where is your data backup?

I have a little backup but not all of it. It was a lot to have a backup of. Actually, I never really thought this would happen.
  4. From what it sounds like to me all your data is still there, you just need to repair the partition table. How you do that with grun is a mystery to me. Do you have a backup of the partition table?

I'm not familiar enough with grub but normally I would just use fdisk.

Have you tried 'Boot Repair' ?
  5. popatim said:
    From what it sounds like to me all your data is still there, you just need to repair the partition table. How you do that with grun is a mystery to me. Do you have a backup of the partition table?

I'm not familiar enough with grub but normally I would just use fdisk.

Have you tried 'Boot Repair' ?

I tried creating a new partition table using TestDisk but it fails with a write error. Actually everything I tried fails with a write error.
    Even SeaTools fails to perform a long test.

These are the errors in Boot Repair's log
    Quote:
    [ 45.342661] sd 0:0:1:0: [sda] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 0e f6 40 80 00 00 08 00
    [ 45.342669] end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 251019392
    [ 45.342736] sd 0:0:1:0: [sda] Unhandled error code
    [ 45.342738] sd 0:0:1:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Partition Storage