olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 RAM at 1333Mhz. My motherboard is a MSI P55 CD53, it has 4 RAM slots. I have the 3 RAM modules running in slots 1, 2, 3 so it should be triple channel. So it looks like this | x | | (the ram modules are |). Is this correct for tripple channel? Becuase my BIOS tells me its running in dual channel..
Thank you for your help,
Olivier

jb6684

Distinguished
The ONLY triple channel CPU is the Intel i7-900 series on an X58 motherboard....

All others Intel & AMD are Dual channel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130240

On your Dual channel motherboard, you should always install sticks in matched pairs. Install the two BLUE slots.

Remove that odd third stick as it will Only run single channel when you access RAM above 2 Gb, or buy a forth matching stick for 8Gb total....

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Oh :(

What do you mean the third stick will only run single channel? The BIOS tells me its all dual channel.. I now have my arrangement: (empty) ram ram ram which uses 2x black! But its dual channel.

jb6684

Distinguished
Dual channel means you read from the A & B channel interleaved (a, sorta at the same time...).

You should have a memory stick in each of the BLUE slots. There is an A channel BLUE slot and a B channel BLUE slot. So reads & writes to the BLUE slots will be Dual channel...

Since you only have one stick in a BLACK slot you can't possible operate the BLACK slots in Dual channel mode. Hey, one stick in BLACK means you only have one Channel hook up .....