Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

tr3 Antarctica, Meteorite Cavern

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 29, 2005 2:13:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

Good day,

For a long time i am trying to do the Meteorite Cavern (tr3) but Willard
seems to be a huge problem for me. I would like some help with this or a
site where i can find a save game or a last shot or so. I have the Stella
walkthrough but that is not helping me, so i am stuck now,

thank you for any any help, and may be there is some one out there who would
be so kind to mail a hint to my email because i cannot look every day to
this newsgroup,
Willy
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:37:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:13:09 +0100: "Wil" <willym22@ilse.nl> wrote:

>Good day,
>
>For a long time i am trying to do the Meteorite Cavern (tr3) but Willard
>seems to be a huge problem for me. I would like some help with this or a
>site where i can find a save game or a last shot or so. I have the Stella
>walkthrough but that is not helping me, so i am stuck now,
>
>thank you for any any help, and may be there is some one out there who would
>be so kind to mail a hint to my email because i cannot look every day to
>this newsgroup,
>Willy
>

//lurk.mode/delurk if I may and if I might,
after many moons of lurking


WillyM of The NL, I know just how it is - with Stella's Walkthroughs
or without. I tend to have too many thumbs, myself.

But I'll post here, since I trust that your server will keep it for a
week or two - even ISP servers aren't too bad at text message reten-
tion; as a matter of policy, I don't e-mail Usenet addys.

This is only one opinion suited to how I managed to trash Willard, so
I don't know if it will help you at all.

It's admittedly easier with All Weapons & Unlimited Ammo, just Bazooka
the Beast - but on the first tour:
(a) I had managed to reserve 20 rockets for Willie, because I figured
that Lara really wanted to pay her respects to the guy; I found
out afterward that 10 or 15 would have been enough.
(b) As Stella and her "coaches" advised as well, I also reserved well
over 100 Desert Eagle rounds, since they are excellent at hitting
moving targets with double the shotgun wallop at twice the range;
again, 50 or 60 rounds would have been plenty.

At the outset, I'd start Lara on a run around the rim of the crater,
make sure she was on a short straightaway and wasn't about to run off
into a lava pit or something, and then hit the hotkey to draw her
Desert Eagle; from then on of course, just hit the Arm-Lara key to
toggle between holstering the pistol or re-arming her with it.

Frankly, I just had Lara run right around the crater's rim at least
one full 360 degree round; then steps away from any white line, do a
roll to face Wild Willy. She'd fire off maybe 5-6 Desert Eagle
rounds, then roll or turn and run again for another round.

The second time she tried this, Willard would start to drop, stunned,
well away from Lara; and if she got it right, Lara would instantly
GameSave (press F5). Then press F6 to Restore that particular
GameSave, then Turn while holstering the Desert Eagle and immediately
start to Run then Sprint down the corridor toward the Artifact. Must
let up on the Sprint a bit early or she'll overshoot and waste
precious seconds backing up to pick up the Artifact - in which case,
Restore and try again.

F5-GameSave again just as Lara begins to pick up the Artifact.

F6-Restore to Resume the pick-up, holding down the key to Roll at the
instant Lara's pick-up routine is completed; once she Rolls, start
Lara on a Run and then Sprint again to the crater's rim, dropping to a
run just as she steps onto the rim (sprinting around the rim will land
her in the lava pits). Then while she's on any straightaway part of
the rim, have Lara draw her Desert Eagle again

.... and repeat the foregoing three more times till all four Artifacts
are recovered - and the Meteor drops back into the crater.

Lara's not done yet! I once made the mistake of thinking she was, and
she got Zapped by one of Willard's energy balls. And he's got a lot
of balls.

So:

Run Lara around the rim once more, but this time have her pull up her
Rocket Launcher - just for Show & Tell.

Now she can take her time rolling well outside any white line, fire
off a rocket or two before Willard gets too close (if Willard is
moving laterally instead of directly toward Lara, a rocket may shoot
past him - that's why the Desert Eagle worked best on all the previous
pick-up runs). And after a few of those:

Willard blows up.

After that, just follow Stella's Walkthrough to climb out of the
crater area to the camp above; may want to GameSave before some of
those jumps, because some need to be rather precise - or she misses
and drops to her death.

Oh, BTW, Stella's Walkthrough missed one and only one pick-up in the
entire game that I could find - excellent score!
Below the Egyptian museum, it's in the first underwater cavern full of
crocs and pick-up caves and such that Lara uses the first underwater
scooter to navigate through - on her way to the loading docks with the
Frogman and Security Guard standing watch. Ammo and MediPacks are in
some of the caves, harpoons sit on a rock which when picked up
triggers the appearance of a second croc, and so on.
But quite near the large rectangular opening that leads into a channel
with a strong water current: there's a square rock on the right, and
down in behind it there's a small MediPack.
The Walkthrough missed that one.


If you get to tour the game again with Unlimited Ammo, Be Forewarned:
Stella missed mentioning that All opponents require up to Double the
original number of hits to take each of them out - particularly
noticeable on the higher levels against the giant Mutants which
ordinarily take two rockets but later take at least three Unlimited
rockets ... I hated to shoot them too, they're so cute and cuddly.

Hope all this helps.


"Now it's your turn" - here's a toughie 4 U (or 4 the NG) - not even
Stella's Walkthrough mentions this bug that I can find - in TRLR:
During the Auto Training Intro to the game, young Lara dives into a
pool for a skull and then swims to the surface; the moment she breaks
the surface of the water anywhere in that pool, the game instantly
exits to Windows ... Win98 on an aging Sativa 2174-590
Tower PC, long since upgraded to 320MB RAM, ATI Radon 64MB.
That's why I've never played that game - just II, II Gold & III, to
date.


//lurk.mode/lurk


Best regards - and may the Source be with you,

Fred of Dee


"Use the Source; Look, use the Source!" ...Obi-Wan Kenobe

> Resident Sourcerer & Big Walrus:
Draconis! (:{=
> ABPW FAQ:
http://home.comcast.net/~jeepjerultra
Please limit Wallpaper posts to max 50 images per day.
> Weekly Walrus Contest entries and rules:
http://weeklywalrus.com/ Quick Reference & Full Edition .pdf files
also posted here Mondays and Thursdays
Entry Filenaming Template: WW###_MyNic_Optional Title.jpg
where: ### = contest week number
> Walrus Web Sites & Archives:
http://weeklywalrus.com/
http://weeklywalrus.com/thumbs
http://home.san.rr.com/walruswinners (link in weeklywalrus.com)
> Walrus World Map:
http://members.shaw.ca/weeklywalrus/home.html

Resistance is futile. You shall all become one with the Source.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 1:09:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

//lurk.mode/delurk

Just dropping back in to apologize to this NG for all but "spamming"
it with a lengthy sig intended for some other NG; forgot to switch it
to a much shorter one which, hopefully, appears below.

//lurk.mode/lurk


Best regards,

Fred of Dee
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:22:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

heheh seen some of your walls-nice. anywho your sig isn't near as long as
some who visit here.
rex
"Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
news:5vjov0hjoestukru3gtb5v3u4ib6dgvh9c@4ax.com...
> //lurk.mode/delurk
>
> Just dropping back in to apologize to this NG for all but "spamming"
> it with a lengthy sig intended for some other NG; forgot to switch it
> to a much shorter one which, hopefully, appears below.
>
> //lurk.mode/lurk
>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fred of Dee
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:28:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from tee-hee4free@kinky.dee was
heard, at about 01/29/2005 04:37 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:13:09 +0100: "Wil" <willym22@ilse.nl> wrote:
>
>
<snip>
>
> "Now it's your turn" - here's a toughie 4 U (or 4 the NG) - not even
> Stella's Walkthrough mentions this bug that I can find - in TRLR:
> During the Auto Training Intro to the game, young Lara dives into a
> pool for a skull and then swims to the surface; the moment she breaks
> the surface of the water anywhere in that pool, the game instantly
> exits to Windows ... Win98 on an aging Sativa 2174-590
> Tower PC, long since upgraded to 320MB RAM, ATI Radon 64MB.
> That's why I've never played that game - just II, II Gold & III, to
> date.
>

I'm working from memory here, since I don't have the time to Google this
down, but ...

I distinctly remember this being a sound card driver problem. I could
be wrong, but I remember this being a problem for a number of people. I
believe there was a patch issued for this, and although it was stated by
Eidos that it was for a particular sound card, it solved problems for me
and several others, even though we did not have that model (of sound
blaster?)

So whether you'd call that a driver problem or a game bug, I don't know,
but search on the level and on surfacing within water in general, as
there was something about the sounds made during surfacing that showed
up for almost everyone that had the problem (although I recall it
showing up for other activities as well).

---
PW
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 1:27:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:28:58 GMT: Pistol Whipped
<pwhipped@NOtampabaySPAM.rr.com> pontificated these memorable and
venerated words of ABPW Sagacity & Walrus Wisdom:

>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from tee-hee4free@kinky.dee was
>heard, at about 01/29/2005 04:37 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
>> On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:13:09 +0100: "Wil" <willym22@ilse.nl> wrote:
>>
>>
><snip>
>>
>> "Now it's your turn" - here's a toughie 4 U (or 4 the NG) - not even
>> Stella's Walkthrough mentions this bug that I can find - in TRLR:
>> During the Auto Training Intro to the game, young Lara dives into a
>> pool for a skull and then swims to the surface; the moment she breaks
>> the surface of the water anywhere in that pool, the game instantly
>> exits to Windows ... Win98 on an aging Sativa 2174-590
>> Tower PC, long since upgraded to 320MB RAM, ATI Radon 64MB.
>> That's why I've never played that game - just II, II Gold & III, to
>> date.
>>
>
>I'm working from memory here, since I don't have the time to Google this
>down, but ...
>
>I distinctly remember this being a sound card driver problem. I could
>be wrong, but I remember this being a problem for a number of people. I
>believe there was a patch issued for this, and although it was stated by
>Eidos that it was for a particular sound card, it solved problems for me
>and several others, even though we did not have that model (of sound
>blaster?)
>
>So whether you'd call that a driver problem or a game bug, I don't know,
>but search on the level and on surfacing within water in general, as
>there was something about the sounds made during surfacing that showed
>up for almost everyone that had the problem (although I recall it
>showing up for other activities as well).
>
>---
>PW

Google. <D'Oh!!>

Sound Blaster is is - under Control Panel > System > Device Manager >
Sound, Video and Game Controllers >
ESS Solo-1 DOS Emulation
ESS Solo-1 PCI Audio Drive
which comes standard on an Aptiva 2174-590.

Thankin' you kindly; I'll go check it out, either today ... or some
time later if this aging Aptiva acts up any more than it is - getting
near Norton Ghost Re-Clone time again (usually once a year or so).

The last time I visited Eidos via Stella's links, Eidos wouldn't let
me DL any patches - have to register and open an account I think -
which is fine, since I paid for all of them and have S/N's at hand.


Best regards,

Fred of Dee
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 3:45:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:22:00 GMT: "Rex Reynolds"
<r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> pontificated these memorable
and venerated words of ABPW Sagacity & Walrus Wisdom:

>heheh seen some of your walls-nice. anywho your sig isn't near as long as
>some who visit here.
>rex

Well, that's good. [O/T:] Do drop in and DL any time. But Beware -
some of mine kinda sux; several others do better as they're pro's
and/or have considerable expertise.

Never played TR1 yet - have the DOS version and it's super-blocky as
opposed to smooth-textured in TR2 and up. Played TR2 twice, and
parked the start of a third run thru TR3 lately. Don't know about
anyone else, but I found TR3 especially challenging - every time I
moved Lara, NOW where do I go??

I have no idea what I would have done without this NG and Stella's
site; it got me out of TR3 jams I'd been stuck in for a whole year,
and there were no commercial game guides available in stores anymore.
When I found this NG and you tipped me off about Stella, Stella and
Friends showed me what to do to get unstuck ... so simple, I never
would have thought of it. For example, I spent Ages looking
Everywhere in the Crash Area for a hidden lever to release the Dino
hanging from the trees, and after many attempts wound up getting
chewed up but out of the water with a Sliver of health left - and
GameSaved it right there to continue on; Stella's Walkthrough: Shoot
the Hanging Dino. And after being stalemated for half a year: Shoot
the Electrical Panel in the City level to electrocute What's-her-Face.

Double !!D'Oh!!.

It took me another month or so to mentally connect the dots:

As Lara would do when confronted with Glass Windows: whenever
confronted with Dinos or Electrical Panels or the like, draw the
pistols - which do NOT AutoAim at these fixtures, but which DO aim and
fire at them when the Action key is pressed. Heck, that goes back at
least to TR2. I'm a bit slow sometimes. :( 

Had little trouble with the Vault Doors mentioned in another thread -
the best tips have already been given: yes, punch the Look key after
triggering the switch, and then Roll; practice "dry runs" to get the
feel of the turns, Sprint in the straightaways, and when you've
practiced enough, Lara will nip right in there 4 U.

Practicing will prove invaluable when doing so for the long run to
pick up Secret 3 in the final stages of the Lost City of Tinnos. It
also helped me muchly to do a Setup Run to first:
(a) kill off all three sets of those wasps (note that they will NOT
re-spawn if Lara retraces her route through the room with shallow
pools and room with hinged ledges),
(b) knock off the two giant mutants,
(c) pick up the second Uli Key,
(d) open the gate to the Pillar of Light Room,
(e) practice dropping off the snow cliffs from the bridge without
getting hung up on cliff-edges or taking damage from dropping
too far,
.... things like that - and then have Lara retrace her route and climb
back up to pull the switch again to open the door to Secret 3 (Stella
tells us how to do that) and do the Run for Real.
Should be able to pull it off with a good ten seconds to spare.

I might also mention that Stella wrote that she could never get that
eight-armed statue to vanish from the huge arena with the stepped
platform in the middle of it (India levels, Temple Ruins - near its
Level-Exit). She also wrote that if Lara picked up the Ganesha Keys
in the order suggested by Vesa H., leaving the one on the stepped
platform till last, then Lara wouldn't have to deal with the Stomping
Statue - just exit the level. Well, if Stella follows Vesa's order of
pick-ups, and at that last pick-up point on the platform which also
animates the statue: if Lara then runs out to the empty hall by which
she entered the arena, the instant she goes down the steps ... the
statue abruptly vanishes. That's the trick to get that "bug" to work.

Let's see, what other tricks did I discover that I could share ... oh,
I've taken up enough space for one day, so I'll break off here and
save them for some other time.

Off to find that Sound Blaster patch, with my thanks to PW.

<snip to end>


Best regards,

Fred of Dee
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:24:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

"Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
news:47vpv0p40vo6fi6odspu19s21qgasb31pc@4ax.com
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:22:00 GMT: "Rex Reynolds"
> <r.c.reynolds@REMOVETHISworldnet.att.net> pontificated these memorable
> and venerated words of ABPW Sagacity & Walrus Wisdom:
>
>> heheh seen some of your walls-nice. anywho your sig isn't near as
>> long as some who visit here.
>> rex
>
> Well, that's good. [O/T:] Do drop in and DL any time. But Beware -
> some of mine kinda sux; several others do better as they're pro's
> and/or have considerable expertise.
>
> Never played TR1 yet - have the DOS version and it's super-blocky as
> opposed to smooth-textured in TR2 and up. Played TR2 twice, and
> parked the start of a third run thru TR3 lately. Don't know about
> anyone else, but I found TR3 especially challenging - every time I
> moved Lara, NOW where do I go??
>
> I have no idea what I would have done without this NG and Stella's
> site; it got me out of TR3 jams I'd been stuck in for a whole year,
> and there were no commercial game guides available in stores anymore.
> When I found this NG and you tipped me off about Stella, Stella and
> Friends showed me what to do to get unstuck ... so simple, I never
> would have thought of it. For example, I spent Ages looking
> Everywhere in the Crash Area for a hidden lever to release the Dino
> hanging from the trees, and after many attempts wound up getting
> chewed up but out of the water with a Sliver of health left - and
> GameSaved it right there to continue on; Stella's Walkthrough: Shoot
> the Hanging Dino. And after being stalemated for half a year: Shoot
> the Electrical Panel in the City level to electrocute What's-her-Face.
>
> Double !!D'Oh!!.
>
> It took me another month or so to mentally connect the dots:
>
> As Lara would do when confronted with Glass Windows: whenever
> confronted with Dinos or Electrical Panels or the like, draw the
> pistols - which do NOT AutoAim at these fixtures, but which DO aim and
> fire at them when the Action key is pressed. Heck, that goes back at
> least to TR2. I'm a bit slow sometimes. :( 
>
> Had little trouble with the Vault Doors mentioned in another thread -
> the best tips have already been given: yes, punch the Look key after
> triggering the switch, and then Roll; practice "dry runs" to get the
> feel of the turns, Sprint in the straightaways, and when you've
> practiced enough, Lara will nip right in there 4 U.
>
> Practicing will prove invaluable when doing so for the long run to
> pick up Secret 3 in the final stages of the Lost City of Tinnos. It
> also helped me muchly to do a Setup Run to first:
> (a) kill off all three sets of those wasps (note that they will NOT
> re-spawn if Lara retraces her route through the room with shallow
> pools and room with hinged ledges),
> (b) knock off the two giant mutants,
> (c) pick up the second Uli Key,
> (d) open the gate to the Pillar of Light Room,
> (e) practice dropping off the snow cliffs from the bridge without
> getting hung up on cliff-edges or taking damage from dropping
> too far,
> ... things like that - and then have Lara retrace her route and climb
> back up to pull the switch again to open the door to Secret 3 (Stella
> tells us how to do that) and do the Run for Real.
> Should be able to pull it off with a good ten seconds to spare.
>
> I might also mention that Stella wrote that she could never get that
> eight-armed statue to vanish from the huge arena with the stepped
> platform in the middle of it (India levels, Temple Ruins - near its
> Level-Exit). She also wrote that if Lara picked up the Ganesha Keys
> in the order suggested by Vesa H., leaving the one on the stepped
> platform till last, then Lara wouldn't have to deal with the Stomping
> Statue - just exit the level. Well, if Stella follows Vesa's order of
> pick-ups, and at that last pick-up point on the platform which also
> animates the statue: if Lara then runs out to the empty hall by which
> she entered the arena, the instant she goes down the steps ... the
> statue abruptly vanishes. That's the trick to get that "bug" to work.
>
> Let's see, what other tricks did I discover that I could share ... oh,
> I've taken up enough space for one day, so I'll break off here and
> save them for some other time.
>
> Off to find that Sound Blaster patch, with my thanks to PW.
>
> <snip to end>
>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fred of Dee

Great stuff Fred()dee! I'm not snipping this reply, I want to keep the
whole post for use later :) 
McG.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 5:15:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:24:03 GMT: "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> pontificated these memorable and
venerated words of ABPW Sagacity & Walrus Wisdom:

>"Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>news:47vpv0p40vo6fi6odspu19s21qgasb31pc@4ax.com
<snip my stuff 2 save space>
>Great stuff Fred()dee! I'm not snipping this reply, I want to keep the
>whole post for use later :) 
>McG.
>
Well, that's good - after lurking here for a year or so and finding
all the help I did 4 free, it's nice to be able to pitch a few back.

McGrandpa, LOL, love that nic - I take it you're around my age (early
60's) and still eat at McDonalds. BTW, I've never seen Lara eat -
just sip a can of pop on the way to Area 51. She must be bionic. Any
babe who can smash into a wall while grabbing a ledge and walk away
unbruised just has to have bionic b...ies.

Well, I'm off to bed.

Best regards,

Fred of Dee
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:03:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

"Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
news:jfauv0lgl9on71t3hqkcpdenjh8lvu2j2j@4ax.com
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:24:03 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> pontificated these memorable and
> venerated words of ABPW Sagacity & Walrus Wisdom:
>
>> "Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>> news:47vpv0p40vo6fi6odspu19s21qgasb31pc@4ax.com
> <snip my stuff 2 save space>
>> Great stuff Fred()dee! I'm not snipping this reply, I want to keep
>> the whole post for use later :) 
>> McG.
>>
> Well, that's good - after lurking here for a year or so and finding
> all the help I did 4 free, it's nice to be able to pitch a few back.
>
> McGrandpa, LOL, love that nic - I take it you're around my age (early
> 60's) and still eat at McDonalds. BTW, I've never seen Lara eat -
> just sip a can of pop on the way to Area 51. She must be bionic. Any
> babe who can smash into a wall while grabbing a ledge and walk away
> unbruised just has to have bionic b...ies.
>
> Well, I'm off to bed.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fred of Dee

ha! Fooled ya! I'm 50, got 4 kids who have a total of 5 Grandkids with
another due in a week or two :)  I still eat at Micky D's. And
Churches, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendys, Dominoes etc. Occasionally I eat at
home :o \
McG.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:59:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

McGrandpa wrote:
>
> "Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> news:jfauv0lgl9on71t3hqkcpdenjh8lvu2j2j@4ax.com
> > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:24:03 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> pontificated these memorable and
> > venerated words of ABPW Sagacity & Walrus Wisdom:
> >
> >> "Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> >> news:47vpv0p40vo6fi6odspu19s21qgasb31pc@4ax.com
> > <snip my stuff 2 save space>
> >> Great stuff Fred()dee! I'm not snipping this reply, I want to keep
> >> the whole post for use later :) 
> >> McG.
> >>
> > Well, that's good - after lurking here for a year or so and finding
> > all the help I did 4 free, it's nice to be able to pitch a few back.
> >
> > McGrandpa, LOL, love that nic - I take it you're around my age (early
> > 60's) and still eat at McDonalds. BTW, I've never seen Lara eat -
> > just sip a can of pop on the way to Area 51. She must be bionic. Any
> > babe who can smash into a wall while grabbing a ledge and walk away
> > unbruised just has to have bionic b...ies.
> >
> > Well, I'm off to bed.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Fred of Dee
>
> ha! Fooled ya! I'm 50, got 4 kids who have a total of 5 Grandkids with
> another due in a week or two :)  I still eat at Micky D's. And
> Churches, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendys, Dominoes etc. Occasionally I eat at
> home :o \
> McG.

Have you checked your cholesterol lately? :) 

-- G
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:03:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospan.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:42009707.A7122D87@ix.nospan.netcom.com
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>> news:jfauv0lgl9on71t3hqkcpdenjh8lvu2j2j@4ax.com
>>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:24:03 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> pontificated these memorable and
>>> venerated words of ABPW Sagacity & Walrus Wisdom:
>>>
>>>> "Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>>>> news:47vpv0p40vo6fi6odspu19s21qgasb31pc@4ax.com
>>> <snip my stuff 2 save space>
>>>> Great stuff Fred()dee! I'm not snipping this reply, I want to
>>>> keep the whole post for use later :) 
>>>> McG.
>>>>
>>> Well, that's good - after lurking here for a year or so and finding
>>> all the help I did 4 free, it's nice to be able to pitch a few back.
>>>
>>> McGrandpa, LOL, love that nic - I take it you're around my age
>>> (early 60's) and still eat at McDonalds. BTW, I've never seen Lara
>>> eat - just sip a can of pop on the way to Area 51. She must be
>>> bionic. Any babe who can smash into a wall while grabbing a ledge
>>> and walk away unbruised just has to have bionic b...ies.
>>>
>>> Well, I'm off to bed.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Fred of Dee
>>
>> ha! Fooled ya! I'm 50, got 4 kids who have a total of 5 Grandkids
>> with another due in a week or two :)  I still eat at Micky D's. And
>> Churches, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendys, Dominoes etc. Occasionally I eat
>> at home :o \
>> McG.
>
> Have you checked your cholesterol lately? :) 
>
> -- G

cho-- what?
McG.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:06:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

McGrandpa wrote:
>
> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospan.netcom.com> wrote in message
> news:42009707.A7122D87@ix.nospan.netcom.com
> > McGrandpa wrote:
> >>
> >> "Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> >> news:jfauv0lgl9on71t3hqkcpdenjh8lvu2j2j@4ax.com
> >>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:24:03 GMT: "McGrandpa"
> >>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> pontificated these memorable and
> >>> venerated words of ABPW Sagacity & Walrus Wisdom:
> >>>
> >>>> "Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
> >>>> news:47vpv0p40vo6fi6odspu19s21qgasb31pc@4ax.com
> >>> <snip my stuff 2 save space>
> >>>> Great stuff Fred()dee! I'm not snipping this reply, I want to
> >>>> keep the whole post for use later :) 
> >>>> McG.
> >>>>
> >>> Well, that's good - after lurking here for a year or so and finding
> >>> all the help I did 4 free, it's nice to be able to pitch a few back.
> >>>
> >>> McGrandpa, LOL, love that nic - I take it you're around my age
> >>> (early 60's) and still eat at McDonalds. BTW, I've never seen Lara
> >>> eat - just sip a can of pop on the way to Area 51. She must be
> >>> bionic. Any babe who can smash into a wall while grabbing a ledge
> >>> and walk away unbruised just has to have bionic b...ies.
> >>>
> >>> Well, I'm off to bed.
> >>>
> >>> Best regards,
> >>>
> >>> Fred of Dee
> >>
> >> ha! Fooled ya! I'm 50, got 4 kids who have a total of 5 Grandkids
> >> with another due in a week or two :)  I still eat at Micky D's. And
> >> Churches, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendys, Dominoes etc. Occasionally I eat
> >> at home :o \
> >> McG.
> >
> > Have you checked your cholesterol lately? :) 
> >
> > -- G
>
> cho-- what?
> McG.

I'll take that as a "no."

Well, if you suddenly disappear, I guess we'll know what happened. ;) 

-- G
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:17:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:4201EA35.B15FB940@ix.nospam.netcom.com
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospan.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> news:42009707.A7122D87@ix.nospan.netcom.com
>>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>>>
>>>> "Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>>>> news:jfauv0lgl9on71t3hqkcpdenjh8lvu2j2j@4ax.com
>>>>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:24:03 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>>>>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> pontificated these memorable and
>>>>> venerated words of ABPW Sagacity & Walrus Wisdom:
>>>>>
>>>>>> "Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>>>>>> news:47vpv0p40vo6fi6odspu19s21qgasb31pc@4ax.com
>>>>> <snip my stuff 2 save space>
>>>>>> Great stuff Fred()dee! I'm not snipping this reply, I want to
>>>>>> keep the whole post for use later :) 
>>>>>> McG.
>>>>>>
>>>>> Well, that's good - after lurking here for a year or so and
>>>>> finding all the help I did 4 free, it's nice to be able to pitch
>>>>> a few back.
>>>>>
>>>>> McGrandpa, LOL, love that nic - I take it you're around my age
>>>>> (early 60's) and still eat at McDonalds. BTW, I've never seen
>>>>> Lara eat - just sip a can of pop on the way to Area 51. She must
>>>>> be bionic. Any babe who can smash into a wall while grabbing a
>>>>> ledge and walk away unbruised just has to have bionic b...ies.
>>>>>
>>>>> Well, I'm off to bed.
>>>>>
>>>>> Best regards,
>>>>>
>>>>> Fred of Dee
>>>>
>>>> ha! Fooled ya! I'm 50, got 4 kids who have a total of 5 Grandkids
>>>> with another due in a week or two :)  I still eat at Micky D's.
>>>> And Churches, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendys, Dominoes etc. Occasionally
>>>> I eat at home :o \
>>>> McG.
>>>
>>> Have you checked your cholesterol lately? :) 
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> cho-- what?
>> McG.
>
> I'll take that as a "no."
>
> Well, if you suddenly disappear, I guess we'll know what happened. ;) 
>
> -- G

I fell off a ladder at work, I tripped down the stairs at home, the sky
fell on me? All kidding aside, me eating 'healthy' will entail a major
change of lifestyle. I'll spend 1/4 of my waking life in the damned
kitchen. :) 
McG.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:06:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:03:19 GMT: "McGrandpa" of
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> jotted:

>"Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>news:jfauv0lgl9on71t3hqkcpdenjh8lvu2j2j@4ax.com
>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:24:03 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> pontificated these memorable and
>> venerated words of LC Sagacity & AGTR Wisdom:
>>
<snippety-snip>
>
>ha! Fooled ya! I'm 50, got 4 kids who have a total of 5 Grandkids with
>another due in a week or two :)  I still eat at Micky D's. And
>Churches, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendys, Dominoes etc. Occasionally I eat at
>home :o \
>McG.
>
Must be nice to live in the U. S. of A. - what an array of places I'd
like to munch a bunch of lunches at. :D  We lack Churches, Wendy's
and Dominoes (Wendy's came and went some years ago).

Cholesterol levels may necessitate prescription of Lipitor for
reduction of said.

Congrats on fathering and grandfathering all those kiddies, and to
their moms for having them. Must be quite happy with a growing clan
like that one. Closest I got to that was befriending a family with
five kids (they were a blast) who now have kids who may soon have
kids.

BTW, here's a trick you may already know about in TR2:

Somewhere deep inside the Temple of Xian areas, there's a large room
with a single Crouching Dragon statue overlooking pools of lava (if
memory serves me - quicksand?), and across from the direction it's
facing, there's a deep red-brown uphill slope full of ledges and
springboard-platforms - it leads up on the left into a small room with
a movable block inside.

After Lara jumps up that slope from ledge to ledge: near the top on
the right-hand side there's a slope that leads down to a springboard-
platform. If you have Lara hop backwards off an adjacent ledge to
slide backwards down that slope, she'll land on the springboard and be
sent flying back up the slope; she'll then slide back down, be sent
sailing back up the slope again ... and so on, ad infinitum.

I GameSaved it at the start of that slide; makes a nifty screensaver.

Another little trick I finally caught onto in TR3 ... I sure could
have used it in the Yeti Arena of the Catacombs of the Talion, near
the Ice Palace in TR2 - a commercial Game Guide clued me into where to
find the movable block I was actually looking for all around that
arena (just in case there was one), and still I missed it completely -
wherein there was a Secret Dragon that I had never found.

When Lara walks past or up to what actually is a moveable block, "have
her inspect" the block surface as she approaches:
(a) it may or may not be of a slightly different hue/shade than the
adjacent blocks
(b) if it must be pushed out from behind (the push-space may be hidden
as yet) or can be pushed in from Lara's side, it will invariably
have one flat and level square facing it
(c) if it can be pulled out, it will invariably have at least two flat
and level squares onto which to slide it - actually, one square
for the block to me moved onto and the other for Lara to stand on
after she finishes pulling it
(d) Now, the Giveaway: all non-moveable blocks in walls and floors etc
have barely visible seams all around their edges; but moveable
blocks also have two more such seams that divide each of its faces
into four equal quarters - the seams form a cross in so doing, and
that cross is pretty easy to spot, once you know what to look for
and what it looks like.
Go to a level where you know there's a moveable block and you'll
see what I mean - for example, there's one inside the tunnel under
the second watchtower of the Great Wall in the first level of TR2,
once Lara dispatches all those arachnids <shiver shiver>.
(e) the other more obvious Giveaway of course will serves as a final
check: when Lara moves up against the face of the block and then
the Action key is pressed, she will go into a stance ready to move
it; but if she also watches the face of the block closely, some
any or all of three more things can occur:
(i) if the block is part of a wall, its outer seam will "light
up", "sparkle" and/or "jiggle" just the tiniest bit
(ii) the hue/shade of the face of the block will alter just a
touch - usually a bit brighter, and/or
(iii) the block itself will appear to "jostle" just a touch when
Lara goes to grab it - not that meaningful a clue, though,
if Lara has already gone into a crouch ready to move it.

Well, once again, that's essay enough for now.

Have fun with all those kiddies!


Best regards,

Fred of Dee
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:19:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.tombraider (More info?)

"Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
news:mll501p5ldbmv9np2522eimnns705ii3o2@4ax.com
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 00:03:19 GMT: "McGrandpa" of
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> jotted:
>
>> "Fred of Dee" <tee-hee.4.free@king-key.dee> wrote in message
>> news:jfauv0lgl9on71t3hqkcpdenjh8lvu2j2j@4ax.com
>>> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:24:03 GMT: "McGrandpa"
>>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> pontificated these memorable and
>>> venerated words of LC Sagacity & AGTR Wisdom:
>>>
> <snippety-snip>
>>
>> ha! Fooled ya! I'm 50, got 4 kids who have a total of 5 Grandkids
>> with another due in a week or two :)  I still eat at Micky D's. And
>> Churches, KFC, Taco Bell, Wendys, Dominoes etc. Occasionally I eat
>> at home :o \
>> McG.
>>
> Must be nice to live in the U. S. of A. - what an array of places I'd
> like to munch a bunch of lunches at. :D  We lack Churches, Wendy's
> and Dominoes (Wendy's came and went some years ago).

Perhaps it's not so much that it's the US, but that this is one of the
mega-metro-plexes. These are likely worse than London :)  Not only is
'everything' here, but it's here in multiples. You can't hardly get
out of sight of said Wendys or Taco Bell and another looms into view.
Micky D's is probably the one that does that the most too :) 
Maybe the variety of cholesterol will keep it in serum state and flowing
till the gall bladder can remedy it out? ;)  (or whatever does it).

>
> Cholesterol levels may necessitate prescription of Lipitor for
> reduction of said.
>
> Congrats on fathering and grandfathering all those kiddies, and to
> their moms for having them. Must be quite happy with a growing clan
> like that one. Closest I got to that was befriending a family with
> five kids (they were a blast) who now have kids who may soon have
> kids.

The Kids are great, really. I love seeing them living their lives their
ways, being happy. I learned that means everything. You can't really
predict what any one of em is gonna do next :)  All of my kids are now
out and about on their own. I'm divorced so all I have to do is keep me
going :) 

Thanks for all those tricks with the TR's. I have recently restarted
both TR2, 3, AoD, am about 3/4 done with TR4, have started Lost
Artifact, am about 1/3 into a replay of TR1 and I gotta get Chronicles
working again, and I seem to have lost my saved games for it. Hm.
I'll save this post so I have those tips.
I just thought; if I were retired, I'd have more than enough games
going to keep me busy at this computer full time :)  Maybe that's why I
don't cook, the kitchen claims too much time!

McG.

>
> BTW, here's a trick you may already know about in TR2:
>
> Somewhere deep inside the Temple of Xian areas, there's a large room
> with a single Crouching Dragon statue overlooking pools of lava (if
> memory serves me - quicksand?), and across from the direction it's
> facing, there's a deep red-brown uphill slope full of ledges and
> springboard-platforms - it leads up on the left into a small room with
> a movable block inside.
>
> After Lara jumps up that slope from ledge to ledge: near the top on
> the right-hand side there's a slope that leads down to a springboard-
> platform. If you have Lara hop backwards off an adjacent ledge to
> slide backwards down that slope, she'll land on the springboard and be
> sent flying back up the slope; she'll then slide back down, be sent
> sailing back up the slope again ... and so on, ad infinitum.
>
> I GameSaved it at the start of that slide; makes a nifty screensaver.
>
> Another little trick I finally caught onto in TR3 ... I sure could
> have used it in the Yeti Arena of the Catacombs of the Talion, near
> the Ice Palace in TR2 - a commercial Game Guide clued me into where to
> find the movable block I was actually looking for all around that
> arena (just in case there was one), and still I missed it completely -
> wherein there was a Secret Dragon that I had never found.
>
> When Lara walks past or up to what actually is a moveable block, "have
> her inspect" the block surface as she approaches:
> (a) it may or may not be of a slightly different hue/shade than the
> adjacent blocks
> (b) if it must be pushed out from behind (the push-space may be hidden
> as yet) or can be pushed in from Lara's side, it will invariably
> have one flat and level square facing it
> (c) if it can be pulled out, it will invariably have at least two flat
> and level squares onto which to slide it - actually, one square
> for the block to me moved onto and the other for Lara to stand on
> after she finishes pulling it
> (d) Now, the Giveaway: all non-moveable blocks in walls and floors etc
> have barely visible seams all around their edges; but moveable
> blocks also have two more such seams that divide each of its faces
> into four equal quarters - the seams form a cross in so doing, and
> that cross is pretty easy to spot, once you know what to look for
> and what it looks like.
> Go to a level where you know there's a moveable block and you'll
> see what I mean - for example, there's one inside the tunnel under
> the second watchtower of the Great Wall in the first level of TR2,
> once Lara dispatches all those arachnids <shiver shiver>.
> (e) the other more obvious Giveaway of course will serves as a final
> check: when Lara moves up against the face of the block and then
> the Action key is pressed, she will go into a stance ready to move
> it; but if she also watches the face of the block closely, some
> any or all of three more things can occur:
> (i) if the block is part of a wall, its outer seam will "light
> up", "sparkle" and/or "jiggle" just the tiniest bit
> (ii) the hue/shade of the face of the block will alter just a
> touch - usually a bit brighter, and/or
> (iii) the block itself will appear to "jostle" just a touch when
> Lara goes to grab it - not that meaningful a clue, though,
> if Lara has already gone into a crouch ready to move it.
>
> Well, once again, that's essay enough for now.
>
> Have fun with all those kiddies!
>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fred of Dee
!