Shift 'Temp' folder, 'Temp Internet Folder' to another par..

I want to optimize a clean installation of XP on my PC. I want to shift
folders like "My Documents", "Temporary Internet files", and "Windows Temp"
folder to another partition.

This is so that my primary partition doesnot get fragmented, and so that
important system files have exclusive access to the fastest parts of my hard
disk.

Does anybody know how this can be done. The "My documents" folder could be
moved, by specifying so in it's 'Properties'.

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about shift temp folder temp internet folder

    additionally you can move the (system related) Temp folder through System
    Control Panel, Advanced, Environment Variables.
    logged on as admin in the bottom half you can change the settings for the
    variabled called TEMP and TMP to point to new locations, rather then
    c:\windows\temp

    hth

    george.

    "Shrikant" <shri.shrikant@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I want to optimize a clean installation of XP on my PC. I want to shift
    >folders like "My Documents", "Temporary Internet files", and "Windows Temp"
    >folder to another partition.
    >
    > This is so that my primary partition doesnot get fragmented, and so that
    > important system files have exclusive access to the fastest parts of my
    > hard disk.
    >
    > Does anybody know how this can be done. The "My documents" folder could be
    > moved, by specifying so in it's 'Properties'.
    >
    > Thanks.

    How to redirect Special folders in Windows XP:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/redirectfolders.htm

    Relocate the "Temporary Internet Files" folder to a different drive:
    http://www.winxptutor.com/movetif.htm

    To relocate the Temporary Internet Files folder:

    1. Save and close all running applications
    2. Create a folder in the destination drive (say E:\MyName\TIF )
    3. Click Start, Run and type INETCPL.CPL
    4. In the Temporary Internet Files section, click Settings
    5. Click Move Folder button and browse to the newly created folder and
    select it
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Yes, when you see the prompt

    "Windows will log you off to finish moving Temporary Internet Files. Do you
    want to continue ?"

    Windows will now copy all the Cookies, temporary internet files to the
    destination folder and log you off. Log back in for the changes to take
    effect.

    Reset the Shell Folders paths to defaults:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Shrikant" <shri.shrikant@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I want to optimize a clean installation of XP on my PC. I want to shift
    >folders like "My Documents", "Temporary Internet files", and "Windows Temp"
    >folder to another partition.
    >
    > This is so that my primary partition doesnot get fragmented, and so that
    > important system files have exclusive access to the fastest parts of my
    > hard disk.
    >
    > Does anybody know how this can be done. The "My documents" folder could be
    > moved, by specifying so in it's 'Properties'.
    >
    > Thanks.

Configuration Partition My Documents Internet Windows XP