Shift 'Temp' folder, 'Temp Internet Folder' to another par..

February 14, 2005 5:12:45 PM

I want to optimize a clean installation of XP on my PC. I want to shift
folders like "My Documents", "Temporary Internet files", and "Windows Temp"
folder to another partition.

This is so that my primary partition doesnot get fragmented, and so that
important system files have exclusive access to the fastest parts of my hard
disk.

Does anybody know how this can be done. The "My documents" folder could be
moved, by specifying so in it's 'Properties'.

Thanks.
February 14, 2005 5:44:04 PM

additionally you can move the (system related) Temp folder through System
Control Panel, Advanced, Environment Variables.
logged on as admin in the bottom half you can change the settings for the
variabled called TEMP and TMP to point to new locations, rather then
c:\windows\temp

hth

george.

"Shrikant" <shri.shrikant@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:o pKjlEnEFHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I want to optimize a clean installation of XP on my PC. I want to shift
>folders like "My Documents", "Temporary Internet files", and "Windows Temp"
>folder to another partition.
>
> This is so that my primary partition doesnot get fragmented, and so that
> important system files have exclusive access to the fastest parts of my
> hard disk.
>
> Does anybody know how this can be done. The "My documents" folder could be
> moved, by specifying so in it's 'Properties'.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:33:29 PM

How to redirect Special folders in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/redirectfolders.htm

Relocate the "Temporary Internet Files" folder to a different drive:
http://www.winxptutor.com/movetif.htm

To relocate the Temporary Internet Files folder:

1. Save and close all running applications
2. Create a folder in the destination drive (say E:\MyName\TIF )
3. Click Start, Run and type INETCPL.CPL
4. In the Temporary Internet Files section, click Settings
5. Click Move Folder button and browse to the newly created folder and
select it
6. Click OK
7. Click Yes, when you see the prompt

"Windows will log you off to finish moving Temporary Internet Files. Do you
want to continue ?"

Windows will now copy all the Cookies, temporary internet files to the
destination folder and log you off. Log back in for the changes to take
effect.

Reset the Shell Folders paths to defaults:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User