Sign in with
Your question

Newbie to SSDs

Last response: in Storage
August 2, 2012 3:18:39 AM

Ok, I am sure what I am looking to do is possible but really don't want to screw it up. I want to get a SSD and am currently looking at getting a:

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

My current system spec's are

Intel Core i7 960 3.2GHz (Quad Core) 8000K
Coolermaster V6, 6 Copper Heat Pipes, Dual Cooler CPU fan
MSI Big Bang-XPower, X58, DDR3, SLI & X-fire, SATA 3, USB 3.0, GB LAN, IEEE
12GB (3x4GB) PC3 12800 DDR3 1600 Triple Channel
AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB PCI Express 16x dual head DVI, HDMI
1500.0 GB Western Digital Green SATA3 6GB/s 64m cache
LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Cooler Master HAF-932 black, front USB, iEEE & eSATA
Thermaltake TR2 650W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire ready

However, I want to still use my main HDD which is currently running Windows 7 64 bit ultimate as a storage drive for movies/music/pics ect.... I am a gamer so I want to put my games on my SSD.

I am assuming I can put my OS on the SSD but can I just wipe my HDD and set the SSD to master and the HDD would be slave? Do I need to worry about connecting these any special way for optimal performance or so they are even recoginized as I want them to be? Thanks for any advice or support.

More about : newbie ssds

August 2, 2012 3:45:46 AM

Well the only advice I can give you as I am a newb too haha, but you can switch the OS to the SSD to make the PC start up quicker. The games will only start quicker as well, the SSD only makes a difference to loadings screens and launching pretty much. As well as installing things etc.
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:38:50 AM

Honestly the easiest way would be to back up all of your important files.

Im not sure how old your system is.

My process was to unplug all of my drives EXCEPT the SSD and install windows, to ensure everything when onto the SSD. Then plug the HDD back in and use that for most of your other storage.

You will want the OS on the SSD. I always think it is best to do a clean install for the fact that you can make sure everything is on the drive.

Keep in mind that this will mean that you are starting from scratch which really isnt a bad thing if the PC is relativity new.
m
l
Related resources
a c 129 G Storage
August 3, 2012 1:46:20 AM

you want to put the sata drive on the intel sata 3 port if your mb has one. if not put it on the intel sata port. a lot of times the sata drive will come wiht a disk tool that has a drive clone program. you may be able to clone your old hd without doing a full wipe. if i was going to do the install right...install the ssd..run the ssd firmware updater. (some firmware updates will wipe the ssd). I then download to a usb stick the mb drivers (intel chipset/sound/network drivers and video card drivers.). i then would turn off the pc..unplug the data cable to the hard drive so that windows install cd only saw the ssd. i would run the windows install and updates. (install the mb drivers back on). install an anti virus program and do a drive sweep. then i do the ssd set up on making your ssd fast. (trim/swapfiles...) I then power down and connect the hard drive data cabke back on and boot into cmos and change the boot order to the ssd.boot into windows and check that the hard drive is there. i would then move the data i wanted and wipe the old drive.
m
l
a c 290 G Storage
August 3, 2012 5:39:10 AM

GEEZ! I remember the old master and slave drive routine. That was a long long time ago. No such thing with modern pc's.

When I added an ssd to my system I simply disconnected the hard drive and booted with just the ssd connected. I immediately went into the System BIOS and enabled AHCI mode and designated the ssd as the boot drive. Then I did a clean install of Microsoft Windows 7. I followed that with the appropriate drivers. Once I was satisified that everything was okay I shut down and reconnected the hard drive. Eventually I uninstalled Windows from the hard drive.
m
l
!