Sign in with
Your question

CPU Temp

Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2010 1:41:07 AM

Hello Toms experts I just finished a build and am a little concerned about the CPU temp on my machine. It idles around 34c (93f) My cpu fan speed is 145-1500 rpm with the radiator fan at 1700 rpm.

Is this hot for a CPU???? at idle??

Here is the build

Case- Coolermaster 922 haf 1-200,, front fan, 1- 200mm side fan, 1- 200mm top (exhaust)

CPU- AMD Phenom 1055t

CPU Cooler- Corsair H50 (pulling cool air from outside through radiator to case)

Mobo- Asus m4a89gtd

Psu- Corsair hx650

Gpu- xfx 5770

Any thoughts.... Please help before I do something dumb and fry cpu..

More about : cpu temp

a b à CPUs
August 11, 2010 1:42:16 AM

your idle temps are fine
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2010 1:46:35 AM

Depending on ambient, idle temps up to 40 degs, and load temps up to 68 degs are fine - above these, I would look into ways and means of lowering the temps.
Related resources
August 11, 2010 1:55:02 AM

Ubrales said:
Depending on ambient, idle temps up to 40 degs, and load temps up to 68 degs are fine - above these, I would look into ways and means of lowering the temps.

40-70 Celsius?? Any recommendations??
a c 172 à CPUs
August 11, 2010 4:33:44 AM

If your load temps are below 70 C (Prime95 is good for testing this), don't worry.

Under normal conditions, about the only time you are going to come close to this is if you are overclocking. Then cooling starts to become really important.

In that case, you basically have three things you can do:
Improve CPU cooling.
Improve air flow through the case.
Decrease the overclock.
August 11, 2010 6:48:01 AM

jsc said:
If your load temps are below 70 C (Prime95 is good for testing this), don't worry.

Under normal conditions, about the only time you are going to come close to this is if you are overclocking. Then cooling starts to become really important.

In that case, you basically have three things you can do:
Improve CPU cooling.
Improve air flow through the case.
Decrease the overclock.

Hi I have the cpu overclocked from the asus bios to 3.4 I have been running prime 95 for 5 hours now and the cpu is holding at 55c with processor at 3371.1mhz
a c 103 à CPUs
August 11, 2010 6:56:50 AM

55' on loads fine man,
nothing to worry about
Moto
August 11, 2010 7:15:21 AM

Thank you all very much!!!! You are all great and have made my first build easy and painless. I can relax a bit now!!!
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2010 1:36:35 PM

miwanuma said:
40-70 Celsius?? Any recommendations??

At idle my temps were around 35 degs C - nothing to worry about. I wanted to further lower the temps, so her is what I did and obtained an 8 degs drop in idle temps:

I dismantled the heatsink and diligently polished (some call it lapping) the base of the heatsink. My heatsink (like most heatsinks) is Cooler Master V8, and has a nice thick base. The purpose of the polishing is to make the base flat; not necessarily a mirror finish. Flatness is more important than mirror finish. This polishing took about 30 minutes.

I left the CPU heat spreader alone because the heat spreader is a shallow drawn sheet metal component, and the thermal expansion characteristics are not readily known. I am aware that a slight polishing of the raised corner edges would help, but this would also void the warranty. Not that I care about the warranty.

Then I re-assembled the CPU and heatsink using Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound, connected the computer and powered up.

My idle temps dropped down to 26 to 27 degs C (heavy gaming temps are around 45 degs)

From the above data, I would recommend that you polish the base of your heatsink, if you are comfortable with the polishing process. Leave the CPU alone. Use Arctic Silver 5.

Good luck!
August 11, 2010 3:48:58 PM

Ubrales said:
At idle my temps were around 35 degs C - nothing to worry about. I wanted to further lower the temps, so her is what I did and obtained an 8 degs drop in idle temps:

I dismantled the heatsink and diligently polished (some call it lapping) the base of the heatsink. My heatsink (like most heatsinks) is Cooler Master V8, and has a nice thick base. The purpose of the polishing is to make the base flat; not necessarily a mirror finish. Flatness is more important than mirror finish. This polishing took about 30 minutes.

I left the CPU heat spreader alone because the heat spreader is a shallow drawn sheet metal component, and the thermal expansion characteristics are not readily known. I am aware that a slight polishing of the raised corner edges would help, but this would also void the warranty. Not that I care about the warranty.

Then I re-assembled the CPU and heatsink using Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound, connected the computer and powered up.

My idle temps dropped down to 26 to 27 degs C (heavy gaming temps are around 45 degs)

From the above data, I would recommend that you polish the base of your heatsink, if you are comfortable with the polishing process. Leave the CPU alone. Use Arctic Silver 5.

Good luck!

I have a corsair h50, so remove it and polish it (in the area where CPU sits) what should I use to polish?
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2010 5:24:35 PM

miwanuma said:
I have a corsair h50, so remove it and polish it (in the area where CPU sits) what should I use to polish?

If you have to ask the question "how do I polish?", please don't polish. Polishing requires skill, and is not easily learned. Leave it as is.
August 11, 2010 6:25:03 PM

Thank you
August 12, 2010 7:51:12 AM

Hello Toms experts I just want to thank you all for your advise... I just added a extra fan to my Corsair N50 so I have 2 fans pulling air from the outside. (1 in front of radiator and 1 in back) from 34c at idle to 30c at idle have not tested on prime yet, but I will let you all know!
August 12, 2010 8:28:57 AM

Does anyone know what TMPIN2 on cpuid is I am seeing temps like 130c
CPUID says under temps

CPU-31c
Motherboard-30c
TMPIN2-128c
What is this reading???
a c 103 à CPUs
August 12, 2010 5:39:57 PM

you have 2 fans on your heatsink?
both blowing in?
change one of them to match the other, imo both blowing towards the rear of the case,
ignore the tmpin2 reading, its having a bad day and is lying to you :) 
Moto
August 13, 2010 4:30:08 AM

Both "pulling" air from outside the case
August 13, 2010 4:37:30 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
you have 2 fans on your heatsink?
both blowing in?
change one of them to match the other, imo both blowing towards the rear of the case,
ignore the tmpin2 reading, its having a bad day and is lying to you :) 
Moto

Both "pulling" air from outside the case
a c 103 à CPUs
August 13, 2010 5:56:04 AM

Aah, I see the problem, I read Corsair N50,
But in your Op it does actually say H50 lol,
I'd recommend changing them both to exhaust, blow the hot air out of the case but thats just me, I know corsair say to have them as intakes in the manual :) 
Moto
August 13, 2010 6:03:19 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Aah, I see the problem, I read Corsair N50,
But in your Op it does actually say H50 lol,
I'd recommend changing them both to exhaust, blow the hot air out of the case but thats just me, I know corsair say to have them as intakes in the manual :) 
Moto

Ok I will try that! Thanks for all your suggestions. my first build has been a great experience, with practically no issues. Thanks to all of you. And yes I did put N50 lol Should be H50
!