Intel i3 or i5 (only dual core)

ruffandruff

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
Hello

Looking for a dual core chip from intel.

1. What are the differences between i3 or i5 dual core chips.
2. What is the best chipset for i3
3. What is the best chipset for i5
4. What are the differences between core 2 duo and i3
5. What is ati or nvidia equivalent for intel intigrated hd graphics in i3 540.

Thanks in ADVANCE!!!

The i3's are all dual cores, while the i5's all have 4 logical threads, some are dual cores with hyper threading others are true quad cores.

For the i3s the H55/H57 chipsets if you want to use their integrated graphics or the P55 if you dont care about the IGP, same goes for the i5s. Those are the only 3 options you have for them, unlike the older G P and X chipsets for LGA 775 CPUs.

An i3 and a Core 2 Duo are very different architectures, the i3 has the IGP on the GPU die, is 32nm vs 45nm for the C2D, has a built in DDR3 memory controller, and runs on a different socket and chipset.

I dont know of anything that nVidia or ATI produce that is that low level, even the ATI IGPs are notably better performaning. Intel graphics are total crap for anything more than basic usage.

1.) Not much. i5 has the turbo boost feature but thats about it. Something you may not notice.

2/3.) really doesn't matter unless you're using intergrated graphics, then you'll want H55, H57, or Q57 chipest MB

4.) We there a few things.

The micro architecture is different. "core" (arch from the core 2's) and "Nehalem" (for the core i3/5/7). The different archs mean different performances. the core i's arch performs faster than the core 2's arch at equall GHZ.

Another thing is the core i's have Hyper threading with give more multi threading ablities than the core 2. So rendering video's for example would run faster on a core i than a core 2.

5. Um........... Well i can say that it's probably stronger than my geforce 6200 gpu but it's probably only the low range of the Geforce 7 series. Which in todays standers is pretty weak unless you're just surfing the web, watching youtube video's, ect.

ruffandruff

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

Thanks a lot.....it help me so good.

So i have decided to get i3 and save dollars. But what about turbo boost isnt it improve speed.

Do u advise me to get an amd equivalent instead of intel??

Timop

Distinguished
Depends on what you want the machine to do, The Athlon X4 6XX is a good choice for a little cheaper, weaker single-core perfomance but has double the amount of cores.

You can even go cheaper to an Athlon X3 for general computing and light gaming or a Phenom X2 for the L3 and unlockability if youre willing to take the risk.

The Intel HD on the i3/i5 @733Mhz is about the speed of an ATI 4200 or a Nvidia 8300M/9300M/8400GS.