Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Temporarily Weird HDD Failure

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
August 2, 2012 7:35:17 AM

Came home from work, powered up my system and tried running Windows Media Player & it froze. Realized after about 30seconds my HDD was making a horrid sound like the reader was lost. I was still able to control Windows and managed to restart my computer. The noise stopped & assuming it was my secondary drive i started running SpinRite to see what was up, with much luck everything seemed ok.

Anyway my secondary drive, an IDE Western Digital 160GB was showing some seek errors in the S.M.A.R.T. monitor but otherwise it was functioning normally at the SpinRite level 2 test. Didn't find any errors. Note that when i first powered up all my music & video are on the secondary drive. Couldn't take any pictures of the test.. but other then the seek errors nothing else wrong came up.

Here's Defraggler's S.M.A.R.T. drive info for the 160GB drive.

Don't recall the DMA CRC error count, of what it was before the problem.

Anyway, doing the main drive, can't think of the brand off hand but it's a SATA 80GB drive original with the computer, Compaq Presario SR5703WM. (It was previously a company PC and didn't have the 320GB drive). Anyway SpinRite did find an error on that drive and when it was finished i decided to take a chance in regularly operating Windows (it's Win7) and everything looked fine noticed that the Windows 7 partition was full, like seriously down to bytes so in haste i ran CCleaner and there were some large files in the recycling bin. So pretty much im at a loss on which drive freaked out and whether or not it's cause for concern. Oh.. heres' the 80GB drive (in 2 partitions)

Anyway i can't help but think it might be due to the temps.. the problem did happen during a cold start and the drives are probably used to running at high temps. I'd like to try to bring that temp down but how do i go about adding more fans? Well it couldn't be a big issue if i just drill some holes on the side of the case to add a fan and link it to the PSU. I welcome any suggestions with that and whether or not one of the drives will fail i'd feel better if there was more airflow keeping the drives cooler. I'm not sure if i should ask this particular question here or make another topic in the prebuilt or Compaq forum. Thanks in advance for your help! :) 

Best solution

August 2, 2012 5:20:27 PM

If its running fine and this was a one time event I dont see the problem. Software glitches happen all the time.
a b G Storage
August 2, 2012 7:39:02 PM

Hmmm... not sure how a hdd making bad & unwanted noises could be caused by a software glitch. Anyway the only thing i could think of that my hdd was full and Windows never notified me on it which caused the error to happen. Never had an issue with the WD but the original drive had write errors when i first got the machine. Didn't happen again but during the time Vista was installed & i was just having a terrible time with it. After running SpinRite for the first time i had the machine (right around when i installed Windows 7) everything on it was much smoother (despite not having enough RAM properly use the computer).
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 10, 2012 5:47:52 AM

Update!

So a similar thing did happen again where basically my computer stopped responding while i was listening to my music files which is stored on the 160GB IDE hard drive. Tried closing WMP down but it wasn't responding even to my manually ending it and just went for a reboot. Reboot caused my my DVD drive to 'malfunction' by not showing in my computer or disk management (which caused my 160GB HDD to disappear. It seemed to be malfunctioning when i had the freezing issue, the light was just solid when i didn't have anything going on or anything inserted. However after shutting off my computer and turning it back on everything was restored fine.

Decided to check event viewer and of course the DVD drive wasn't working during the reboot.

I'm also getting a 1012 error
  1. "There was an error while attempting to read the local hosts file."
  4. - System
  6. - Provider
  8. [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client
  9. [ Guid] {1C95126E-7EEA-49A9-A3FE-A378B03DDB4D}
  11. EventID 1012
  13. Version 0
  15. Level 2
  17. Task 0
  19. Opcode 0
  21. Keywords 0x4000000000000000
  23. - TimeCreated
  25. [ SystemTime] 2012-09-10T05:07:03.680400000Z
  27. EventRecordID 82303
  29. Correlation
  31. - Execution
  33. [ ProcessID] 1264
  34. [ ThreadID] 1280
  36. Channel System
  38. Computer Compaq
  40. - Security
  42. [ UserID] S-1-5-20
  45. - EventData
  47. ErrorCode 3221225485
  48. Location 0
  49. Context 0

It's weird since it's been doing that for quite awhile. Haven't found any viruses (using the Windows 7 guide)

Anyway i don't have any idea if this is related to the seek problems my hard drive has. It's usually not bad either and i have changed my habits with this particular PC.. i used to let it run overnight mostly because i enjoy hearing music while im sleeping but i decided to give that job to my '99 PC since i really wasn't looking forward to have problems with my 08' PC quite yet. Of course it's little too late lol.

Anyway even after the the problem my PC runs a bit sluggish afterwards and my CPU usage will peak at 100%. I don't think it's 'that' related since i had several google chrome tabs open but various icons like the volume control on the side isn't showing (which may require another reboot) and i had to restart my task manager to get the CPU graph icon too. Anyways i wonder if this problem is just acting up during a cold startup. It doesn't always happen though and i still use the PC daily for mostly video watching or sometimes internet browsing (because my '99 PC is too old to multitask).

I was assuming the first time this happened it was because i ran out of room in the Win7 OS partition which i did fix. The 160GB is almost full but i doubt it really would cause a problem there.

Oh, and no noises were present this time.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 24, 2012 5:24:55 PM

Found the problem i think. It had a bad IDE cable ribbon. Figured it out since it was throwing some codes during a SpinRite scan, at least the drive doesn't experience any seek errors now, it's in good health. :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
October 1, 2012 10:42:55 PM

Best answer selected by MidnightDistort.
m
l
!