Sign in with
Your question

MA785GMT-UD2H won't post

Last response: in Motherboards
March 6, 2011 4:05:48 PM

Hey everyone,

I have a gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H with an AMD Phenom II X4 965, a radeon 5770, and an OCZ 600w power supply. My computer has been running just fine for over a year. I decide to open it up and reorganize the cables around - unplugged everything, ran some cables around the other side and such.. plugged everything back in, no video or post. I've gone through the checklist - cleared the CMOS, took out video card and used onboard graphics, used each RAM separately, unplugged EVERYTHING except the 8pin and 24pin connectors to the mobo and the CPU fan .. I'm getting power - the fan is spinning and the LED on my heatsink fan turns on, and when I had my video card still in it was spinning. I've checked all connections to make sure they are secure. No short circuits that I know of. No short or long beeps of any kind. Any help would be appreciated.. thanks!!

More about : ma785gmt ud2h post

a b V Motherboard
March 6, 2011 4:26:51 PM

I would dissconnect and reconnect the 8 and 24 pin connections as well.
March 6, 2011 6:09:53 PM

anonymous1 said:
I would dissconnect and reconnect the 8 and 24 pin connections as well.

Thanks, I've tried that multiple times
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 6, 2011 6:16:40 PM

Well, you should re-connect everything. You might be missing something.
March 6, 2011 6:43:21 PM

kilo_17 said:
Well, you should re-connect everything. You might be missing something.

This is what I just tried reconnecting -

8pin and 24pin into mobo from psu
heatsink fan into mobo
SATA into SATA drive with power from psu
video card into slot, with power from psu
both RAMs (tried each one individually, same result)

same result, no video, no post, no beeps
a b V Motherboard
March 6, 2011 6:45:08 PM

Do you remember if you might have shocked anything with static electricity?
March 6, 2011 7:10:21 PM

kilo_17 said:
Do you remember if you might have shocked anything with static electricity?

it's always possible, but i always ground myself before working, and i dont remember any kind of shock, unless it was so small i couldn't feel it. I will try breadboarding in a few hours.
March 7, 2011 2:44:52 PM

still no go. is this a case of a bad mobo? or could it be the psu even though it looks like im getting power to the mobo / fans / video card? problem is i dont have another psu to test with..
a c 105 V Motherboard
March 10, 2011 6:01:16 PM

Look at your PSU to see if there are any bent or broken pins.
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2011 6:06:35 PM

Does the CPU have any bent/broken pins?
a c 105 V Motherboard
March 10, 2011 6:19:57 PM

I meant to type cpu in my previous post. Too much fluoride on the brain, I guess. Oh well.....

a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2011 6:38:53 PM

Ha, I just figured it was possible that the connector pins could, in fact, be bent.
March 13, 2011 4:19:15 PM

nope, no broken or bent pins, the lever is secure. both power cords' connectors/pins seem ok too. i think i will just RMA this mobo, thanks for all your suggestions though.
a c 105 V Motherboard
March 16, 2011 3:12:07 AM

Did plug in the boot drive back into the same sata port? If you plugged it into a different port, this may be the culprit.

March 16, 2011 3:20:40 AM

spooky2th said:
Did plug in the boot drive back into the same sata port? If you plugged it into a different port, this may be the culprit.

Actually i'm not sure, but regardless, shouldn't I be getting some kind of post or video output even if i dont have any kind of drive connected?
a c 105 V Motherboard
March 16, 2011 3:40:12 AM

You should be able to get into your BIOS at least. Check your memory. Take out the sticks and insert one in at a time and try to boot.
March 16, 2011 3:51:22 AM

spooky2th said:
You should be able to get into your BIOS at least. Check your memory. Take out the sticks and insert one in at a time and try to boot.

Tried each one independently, together, and no memory. No beeps whatsoever =(
a c 105 V Motherboard
March 16, 2011 11:32:36 PM

Do you have a way to check the voltage from your psu like a volt meter? I remember years ago I installed a psu and the 110/220 switch was in the middle instead of all the way to the 110 side and it gave me simptoms like that till I saw the problem. Maybe swap it with a good one to see. Then maybe switch out the cpu with another if voltage is OK. It maybe the board if it's not the memory, (I doubt that all sticks would go bad at once) or the psu or the cpu.
April 11, 2011 7:50:46 PM

So just an update - I tried everything i possibly could and ended up RMA'ing my motherboard - got it back today, everything is fine except one thing :(  it's not recognizing my radeon 5770 and i have to use my onboard video. I can't find it under device manager ot CPUID - i checked that it is securely in and checked the power cord to it - could this be a power issue?
June 17, 2012 2:07:00 AM

Btw I had the same problem today with my MA785. I was adding new hardware from Newegg and when I tested everything back together everything was working upstairs. I put the case cover back on and got downstairs and no post!

Brought the rig back upstairs, went through everything (which was very frustrating as it always is when this happens to any of us). After getting down to the barebones, w/ just 1 mem stick and nothing connected to the mobo, I realized that the RAILS power connector had been loose and came out!!! If any of you are old school and built PCs when there were no rails you sometimes forget now that you even have to connect them darn things.

Symptom: MA785 starting, fan starts, motherboard wouldn't post (no PC speaker beep, no video).
Resolution: Check power connectors-- the rails connector came out in my case.
!