Is it really difficult to take out pre built gts240 card and replace ?

resinmage

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Is it simple enough to turn everything off unplug stuff and install a new card ?

Also will having a Pre built pc come with Nvidia gts 240 , make my pc incompatible with an ATI 5770 vid card?

resinmage

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
woo hoo! im still learning about pcs and how the components all work and they are all in different categories. Im glasd to know I can get the best card for my pc that dell stiffed me for and install it myself.

dell studio desktop 540 quad core9400 5.6ghz 500 gb 4 gb RAM 350 watt PSU installed with 3 year old video card renamed and installed only in pre builts Nvidia GTS 240 OEM

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Make sure that you un-install your Nvidia drivers prior to removing the card and you shouldn't have any prblems.
You should be able to install any single graphic card as long as you have enough juice in you PSU. The only problem is whether or not your motherboard supports crossfire, if you decide to go down that path.

resinmage

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
no im just wanting the best card for my pc studio desktop 540 quad core q9400 .

I just want to replace the pre builts garbage card the GTS 240. I plan to use it to play games on high settings and i cant even play Just cause 2 above medium right now.

so i need to buy the ati card the 5770 and btw my PSU says its LIte -on 350watts.
so I should be ok with the 5770 i HOPE.

I hope to install it myself and can you reccomend a good drive sweeper to remove all nvidia stuff?

Also how does installing a new card work? Is there a cd that comes to install software?

You'll want to ignore the CD that comes with the card and DL the latest catalyst control center from the AMD website;
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Here is driver sweeper;
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
Uninstall the Nvidia drivers then run that in safe mode for best effect. It will get anything the uninstaller might've missed.
The HD5770 actually uses slightly less power than your current card.

resinmage

Distinguished
May 4, 2010

So Im safe to use the 5770? I dont want to buy if I cant use it with my PSU.

And those that try to run GPU's that are spec'd at 450W or greater on a LITE-ON 350W unit that came with the $20 case they have are bound to wind up back here asking why their system keeps crashing !! (Sure a High Quality 350W unit might handle it but attempting to use one that is included in a $20- $30 case is just asking for instability or the opportunity to fry the entire system when it burns out (since it most likely has no overvolt protection it also may take the rest of the system when it goes !) --- so if I were wanting to give advice I'd also want to err on the safe side and swap it out as well instead of chancing destroying the entire system !!

It is not some crappy PSU that came with a $20 case. It's a Dell Studio 540.
Perhaps you should read closer. The OP stated his computer has a GTS 240. That card is the OEM version on the 9800GT, not even the newer version without the power connector but the older more power hungry version. You can read about it here;
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gts_240_us.html
That card uses slightly MORE power than a HD5770, as I already stated. There is absolutely no reason in the world to think his computer can't handle a card that uses less power than his current one.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

Quoting gpu manufacturers PSU requirements is not harmful if one understands where those numbers come from (vastly varying quality of PSUs) and why high quality PSUs can get away with less. They are making a requirement based on the lowest common denominator (crap unbranded PSUs) and that has EVERYTHING to do with reality.

That may be the case but he also says :

so i need to buy the ati card the 5770 and btw my PSU says its LIte -on 350watts.
so I should be ok with the 5770 i HOPE.

So it is a LIte-on PSU which is not the same as most DELL high quality PSU's (ie. those made by PCP&C) and not one I would try to run at near full capacity !! (even if he has been doing so in the past and even the spec for the 240 that you linked specify "Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 450 W" so I personally would never RECOMMEND or advise someone to try running it on a 350W LITE-On PSU !!!

Dell rates their PSUs for continuous usage rather than peak. It is NOT a typical 350w PSU. They are a HUGE manufacturer and they would certainly not be selling systems with a PSU too weak to handle the card in it. The HD5770 uses less power, case closed, there is nothing to argue about really.

Here is the label for the Dell Lite-On 350w
f4284-b-300.jpg

It claims to have two 18 amp +12v rails. It does say not to exceed 336w combined but that's still 28 amps

resinmage

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
ok just checking man thanks cause it says 350 watts but i dont understand the amp stuff all the other numbers on the label.

I cant afford this card now but it looks like DEll put up metal coverings on the back of the case where the cards stick out . I guess I remove them to fit the card then?

What does it list as the +12V A and +12V B amps and does it list a combined 12V amp listing ??? ---- the video card runs on the +12V line so that is the important spec to know. If it is the same as posted in the pic above at 18A on each and a combined 335W - then it should be OK (though I wouldn't do any OCing on the system with it as you'll be pretty much at the max consumption as is)

resinmage

Distinguished
May 4, 2010

12v=18a max
-12v=0.8A max

12 vA + 12vB = 300 W

not sure if this is what you wanted...