Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vetting 1.5TB HDD Options ... 7200.11?

Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2010 6:21:00 PM

Hey-Howdee !, Oh, me Droogs,

Both I and one of my current clients are looking at 1.5TB drive options ...

Our hope (and expectation) is that there is a 1.5TB drive that is as good (maybe even a little faster?) as your typical F3 or 7200.12 ...

... The 7200.11 is available ... BUT ... I have heard some "word of mouth" that there were some serious issues (firmware?) ... at one time ... with the 7200.11s ... IS THIS TRUE ?

How does the 7200.11 stack-up against the F3s and 7200.12s ?

WHAT IS THE BEST 1.5 or 2GB option, for all out speed and dependability ? ... I am looking for better (equal) performance/dependability) to F3s ... but with a similar (better?) cost-per-GB, to the 7200.11s ...

... Will you guys PLEASE help "hip us up" to wassup wid these drives/options ...

PURDY PLEASE ?!

June 10, 2010 7:03:25 PM

UPDATE !! :

The reviews on the 7200.11 (1.5 TB) are SO SCARY AND SO NUMEROUS that I will not advise that anyone should risk it (over 2K reviews) ... Many rants about "self-bricking" and a failed "coating process".

So .. NO! .. to the 7200.11s (shhhudder).

The Caviar Black looks like a viable choice but I cannot understand how there could be ONLY 16 reviews ?!

For now ? ... Western Digital BLACK is my recommendation ... tentative on more user review feedback ... I'll check other reviews, around the web, in time.

= Al =
June 10, 2010 7:06:28 PM

Quote:
7200.11 were the Seagates with bad firmware that first stuttered, then "bricked". But newer shipments *should* be with the problem-free newer firmware.

Though Id rather get the Caviar Green EARS, looks like it uses 500GB platters and Advanced Format. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Heres a benchmark with the 7200.11s and 12s along with older Samsung F1s and Caviars, doesnt look too bad: http://techreport.com/articles.x/16472/10

HEY, Tim !,

I have personally worked half a dozen "build fails" which were tracked to faulty "GREEN" drives, in as many weeks (these past 6 weeks) ... Cannot recommend GREENs, based on these first-hand accounts.

ALSO ... Read a few reviews about the 7200.11s using some protective platter coating that (eventually) will rub off on the heads ... gunk them up ... ultimate corruption and fail (with commensurate BAD NOISES).

So ... No GREENS and NO "Dot Elevens" for me or my "loved ones".

Now ... if some butt-head really ticks me off ? ... SHHHHURE ... "GREAT DRIVES ! " (kidding, of course).

= Al =
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 10, 2010 7:53:38 PM

The WD BLACK "seems" to be the only one that is not "stained" ... 16 reviews sure ain't 1% of the number that would make me more comfy.

This is what I would call, "An awkwrd moment in storage evolution" ... Things will look VERY different, one year from now ... even by October, I surmise.

= Al = I want a 384 GB 4X Slot SSD ... for about a buck per gigabyte .. hold breath).
June 10, 2010 7:57:10 PM

As far as the GREENs go ... I would love to have a stack of them, for backup, but I would NOT even consider trying to RAID them and, for editing/rendering ... not even as a single drive option ... Whatever energy saving features that may be employed, might interfere with sporadic or sustained "session demands".

This is REGARLESS of my recent, personal, disproportionate(?) level of "new boot fails" (which were ALL cured by drive model replacement, BTW) ... I, personally, was the point-man, on at least 3 of them.

Now ... When I see probs (under 90 days), I am looking for GREEN, in the config.

Hope I am just wrong and those were flukes.

= Al =

Best solution

June 10, 2010 10:00:30 PM

I would get either the regular WD Black 2TB drive or the special RAID edition.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Western Digital RE4-GP WD2002FYPS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Seagate also has a 7200RPM 2TB drive, but I can't bring myself to buy Seagate drives any more after the fiasco that was the 7200.11 series.

Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
June 11, 2010 1:14:56 AM

Best answer selected by Alvin Smith.
!