Sapphire 5870- artifacts and tearing (with pic)

tshomestar

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I just built a new gaming rig about a week ago and all was good until yesterday when i started getting these artifacts / tears all while playing games. I have tried everything I could find on google to fix it but no luck so far. I updated all my drivers, I turned vsync on in game and in the ccc. I've even made a seperate overclock profile and i've also manually set the fan to max and still had problems. Don't think it's a heating thing because i still never saw the card go above 60C while it was all happening.

here's a pic of what it looks like in wow (the game it messes up the worst) : http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h144/tshomestar/WoWScrnShot_050410_194354.jpg

my rig:

asus p6x58d atx motherboard

Sapphire VaporX 5870 HD 1gb

Corsair 1000hx power supply

intel I7 930 (2.8ghz)

6gb Corshair Dominator ddr3 1600

intel 80gb ssd

wd 1tb caviar black hdd

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Asus 23.6" 5md hdmi 1080p monitor

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

tshomestar

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

I updated to ccc 10.4 yesterday and I've turned off catalyst A.I but its still happening.

UberGenocide

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Does it do it with ANY other games besides WoW

If so...its probably a faulty card(not 100% sure)

If not...its an issue with software compatibility

Like ^^ said...may be an issue with WoW and DX11

have you tried the computer on another monitor?

Hope this helps you

Uber

tshomestar

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

It appeared to be working fine for 4-5 days with wow. If that was the problem I would think I would have seen it right off the start.

tshomestar

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

I have not noticed it on sc2 beta. I thought I saw it a few times playing Allods, but I could have just saw something else go by on the screen and thought it was the same since I was looking for it so much lol. I have not tried a different monitor yet, but I will give it a shot when I get back home later today. I will also swap out the card and try my other comps card just to make sure it isn't anything other then the card causing it.

UberGenocide

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

It is quite possible the card has malfunctioned

I'd hate for you to have to wait for the RMA though

Try it in another monitor for a last hope :D

OOO

Have you used driver cleaner and THEN install catalyst?

Try that and tell me what happens

Hope this helps!

Uber

tshomestar

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

I haven't used driver cleaner and then installed ccc, but I did tell it to uninstall all things associated with ati ( although I'm sure it very well could have left something installed).

soulflyfan

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I built a new PC 2 weeks ago with a 5870. it was fine playing Crysis and Bioshock for the first few days, but then I suddenly started to get similar artefacts and the Grey screen of doom as soon as I tried to play 3d games (complete crash with the grey lines down it). I was running the catalyst 10.2 drivers from ATI

After much searching and trying different thing (including setting the fan to a noisy 60 degrees) I found the solution in another forum. I changed the Memory clock from the stock value of 1200 to 1150 (a 50mhz reduction). Although this is not ideal, I haven't had a single crash or artefact since in over 4 hours of game play. I am still running Cat 10.2

Give this a try and see if it helps

tshomestar

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Ya I've tried to change the speeds around and everything is still messed up. The people at Sapphire are having me email someone else so they can send me a bios update. hopefully that fixes it.

I have a similar system to yours (i7 920, 5870's in CF) and have not had this issue in WoW. It's not a problem with WoW and Dx11.

The problem you are having does not seem anything like Soulflyfan's, but I unfortunately do not know what is causing that. It does look like driver issues I've had in past years on other systems, that usually went away with updated drivers. However, I'm using the same drivers as you, and not having this issue.

It could be a problem with your Win install, memory or video card. I never had those issues with 9.12 through 10.4 cat drivers.