Sign in with
Your question

HOLY CRAP! a cpu with bad cores, my AMD X6

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2010 7:47:46 AM

so i built a new rig with an X6, asus MB and other kinds of goodies. having huge stability issues. After doing anything heavy (IE starcraft 2, justcause, too many youtube videos going, Prime95) my computer would lock up after 5-30 minutes of use with a loud high pitched buzzing sound from the speakers and be unresponsive untill i pulled the plug. No BSOD, no anything, just lock up. I had tried removing everything but essentials, different power suppies (I have a corsiar 750 watt, plenty for my setup) and couldn't figure out anything. Also all of my temps are below average, running with the case apart for testing. So at my wits end, replacing components, my last idea is to try disabling some of the CPU cores. its the only BIOS setting i have not touched. So i restrict it to using only cores 0 and 1, and disabling 2,3,4,5. guess what? rock solid. Running P95 for over an hour. So now i'm stuck figuring out if its my motherboard (Asus m4a87TD/usb3) or my 1055t X6. I have a new motherboard coming in 2 days, so i guess we will figure it out then, but right now its looking like i may have a dud cpu.

anyway, this is the first time i have ever seen this, and a quick google search came up with nothing, so i thought i would share. Also if some of you think I may be overlooking something, please enlighten me.
a c 103 à CPUs
August 11, 2010 7:49:44 AM

Its possible you have a bad chip, maybe contact Amd and see how nice they're going to be to a 'disappointed ' customer before you Rma it :p 
Moto
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2010 3:51:18 PM

lol @ "too many youtube videos going"
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2010 4:20:08 PM

bobloadmire said:
so i built a new rig with an X6, asus MB and other kinds of goodies. having huge stability issues. After doing anything heavy (IE starcraft 2, justcause, too many youtube videos going, Prime95) my computer would lock up after 5-30 minutes of use with a loud high pitched buzzing sound from the speakers and be unresponsive untill i pulled the plug. No BSOD, no anything, just lock up. I had tried removing everything but essentials, different power suppies (I have a corsiar 750 watt, plenty for my setup) and couldn't figure out anything. Also all of my temps are below average, running with the case apart for testing. So at my wits end, replacing components, my last idea is to try disabling some of the CPU cores. its the only BIOS setting i have not touched. So i restrict it to using only cores 0 and 1, and disabling 2,3,4,5. guess what? rock solid. Running P95 for over an hour. So now i'm stuck figuring out if its my motherboard (Asus m4a87TD/usb3) or my 1055t X6. I have a new motherboard coming in 2 days, so i guess we will figure it out then, but right now its looking like i may have a dud cpu.

anyway, this is the first time i have ever seen this, and a quick google search came up with nothing, so i thought i would share. Also if some of you think I may be overlooking something, please enlighten me.

Hmm..... certainly odd. :heink: 

have you done a memtest (http://www.memtest.org/)?

It is certainly possible that cpu could be bad. It extremely rare but not impossible but maybe you should also try testing the memory as your issue sounds more related to it than the cpu.

im not saying it isn't the cpu, but unlikely.
a c 103 à CPUs
August 11, 2010 5:35:41 PM

mi1ez said:
lol @ "too many youtube videos going"

Hadn't you heard? Prime95 is old hat man, REAL Geeks power up 40 justin bieber vids to stress their system (And anyone in hearing distance)
:) 
Moto
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2010 9:52:23 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Hadn't you heard? Prime95 is old hat man, REAL Geeks power up 40 justin bieber vids to stress their system (And anyone in hearing distance)
:) 
Moto

Damn, must be behind the times!
!