Sign in with
Your question

Video transfer/editing primary build

Last response: in Systems
June 10, 2010 8:09:51 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1 week..Budget range $800

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video editing analog VHS and DV, surfing, 0% gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, dvd drive, case ( I have Antec tower, however I do need psu

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) newegg.com or whoever

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: No. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This is for my 73 year retired Dad. He is "somewhat" pc savvy in applications but not hardware. He uses his pc for email, general surfing and video editing. I built his current outdated pc in 2003. Gigabyte MB, 2.4 Intel P4, etc. It is old and tired and I will be building new one. This is the caveat--- He uses Pinnacle's Studio for video editing. I have read much on here about using Vegas and others that are bigger/better whatever, not going to happen. He is stubborn in his desire to learn whole new programs at his age. I am happy he has this hobby as is. I am fairly ignorant in video editing. I orginally set his old pc up with ATI All-in Wonder that was 128 MB and had a breakout box for several inputs for his analog inputs.
I have not kept up with all the new tech changes in several years, but I am trying to put him something together for Fathers day.
So need help for what would be good video card for this scenario. Again, this is his deal not mine so I am unsure of how new video cards for editing work. Do you buy good graphics card and bring in video through capture device and then just use software and any video card will do or do you get high end video card?
I expect the more memory and faster cpu the better?
Sorry guys I am a bit lost in this video edit world. Thanks for any help you can suggest. Any and all advice GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks Patrick

June 10, 2010 9:12:21 PM

OMG ! This is gonna be a PIECE OF CAKE !! ... Mind just a little headroom ?

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard @ ~$125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Free 10 feet HDMI cable w/ purchase, limited offer @ ~$100

Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve "KATANA3" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler @~$29

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
1x Winner of Customer Choice Award @~$110

GPU:
Step into a virtual world of beautiful visuals and realistic environmental interaction with the powerful ZOTAC GeForce GT 240 series. Whether youre gaming, video editing, converting videos, image editing, or simply web browsing the ZOTAC GeForce GT 240 series has enough performance for all your needs.

Microsoft DirectX 10.1 and OpenGL 3.1 powered . NVIDIA PhysX technologyModel ZT-20402-10L
Core Clock 550MHz
Core Processors 96 stream processors
DirectX DirectX 10.1
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
DVI 1
GPU GeForce GT 240
HDCP Ready Yes
HDMI 1
Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
Memory Clock 1580MHz
Memory Size 1GB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Type DDR3
Package Contents ZT-20402-10L
3D Vision Discover glasses
ZOTAC Boost
Driver Disk
User Manual
SLI Supported No

... ~$90

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For System/Apps/Browser/NetComm/Utils/Project Data ...
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive @~$55

For Content Ingest and streaming (Media Drive) Define a fast-outer (short-stroke) partition of 256GB, for active edit projects ... assign remaining capacity to secondary partition (for project archives and mp3s, movies, working backups, etc.)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive .. 2x Winner of Customer Choice Award @~$70

DVD BURNER:
ASUS/SAMSUNG/SONY/LG 22X SATA DVDR (yes, with Lightscribe .. do get) ~$26

ALSO ...

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Voted Best Power Supply Manufacturer by Custom PC 2009
~$80

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ~$60

VEGAS ROCKS ! .. Self Training .. Easy .. Great Output .. Just Works !
SONY Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 ~~~ $100

GRAND TOTAL (With Vegas 10) .......... = $ 8 4 5

= SWEET ! =
m
l
June 10, 2010 9:24:53 PM

Wow you are fast. It will take a few times reading through to absorb everything but it looks great. Thanks Alvin.
Patrick
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2010 1:23:01 AM

Alvin, one question the Gigabyte mb has onboard gpu (Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4290 graphics) do I need this. I realize it is built this way but am I to disable the built on gpu? Does Gigbyte have another version of the same with no gpu built on or does it matter.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:30:56 AM

The IGP would have just been a backup/freebee bonus ... does not cost anything ... just let's you keep functional, if your GPU should fail, and would allow you to re-task that mobo, and GPU to seperate builds (HTPC, Home Office, Home Server, etc.) ... just makes your components more portable, independent, re-taskable, re-usable ...

... The ASROCK 890FX would be more of an "edit purist platform", and I DO highly recommend you consider it, depending on your own "vision and priorities" ... I DO have the ASROCK 890FX, in my own cart ... It gives a little more flexibility on lane allocation, of the PCIe expansion slots ... Lets you use a 3rd 16x slot without dragging either of the first two slots down to 8x ... As a central platform for an "evolving project studio", it would allow more options for a crowded (maxed out) cardbus ...

... Because of your rather "meager" initial requirements (DV-25/VHS), I originally was "thinking" of your build as a "Beefed Up Home Theater (media) PC" ... But, now, I can see that you might actually ramp up to a full-blown CS5/HD environment and may also wish to add other (Blackmagic Design) or performance storage options, etc.

So ... You decide ... Either mobo will take you MUCH further (give you much more) than you seemed to be hoping/asking for ...

If you want a better after-life (other possible future uses) , for your parts ... THEN ... Go for the UD3H ...

BUT ... IF you want an uncluttered, "serious" studio platform, that can evolve to a hex-core, dual GPU, high-bandwidth rig, for pro codecs and graphics toolsets ... yup ... Go with the ASROCK 890FX Deluxe 3 motherboard.

ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Worldwide exclusive 4 x USB3.0 ports, Turbo UCC $154.99

For the commited prosumer graphics artist .. and HD editors !

= Al = (Merry Christmas ... Sorry!)

m
l
June 11, 2010 6:05:11 PM

Alvin thanks for all your help. Went ahead and stuck with Gigabyte, I like your rationale and am familiar with their stuff. I went ahead and doubled memory to 8 gig and added Vegas platinum. thanks for the recommendation
m
l
June 12, 2010 5:07:23 AM

Or ... since the extra 4GB won't help your (current) needs all that much ...
... Why not stay with 4GB and upgrade the CPU to a Phenom-II 955(Black Quad) ?

... This would add like $65 to the total and would be over $50 less than the extra ram.

Better MMU and "more and larger" internal caches ?? Way better for eventual OC !

Just a thot.

Here is the Athlon-II x4, benched against the 955(BE) ...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/122?vs=88

I think you would get much more "bang" with the CPU upgrade, rather than more RAM.

= Al =
m
l
June 12, 2010 5:21:35 AM

Annnnd ...

... Just finished reading your "BullDozer" post ... yeah ... no worries with AMD ... Just that Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle is demanding X58 ... May prove to do fine with an 890FX but *I* really *would* like to leave that option open, for the (CS5?) future ... uh-huh.

YOU are the "ADOBE Freak" ... What do YOU think ??

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

= Al =
m
l
June 12, 2010 5:50:45 PM

Alvin, I was reading the specs on the MB on Gigabyte website---

"With combination of onboard GPU and a single VGA card’s GPU*, ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™ can bring remarkable display performance on AMD platform"

* Please use ATI Hybrid CrossFireX certified DX11 VGA card (i.e., ATI Radeon HD 5450, etc.).

I read up on the ZOTAC you advised. From what I can gather it will not work in the above configuration. Would I be better off switching out to one that can? Is this crossfire configuration worth the trouble? If so would you be able to recommend on in generally the same price range ($75-125) that fits the parameters set above.
Thanks
Patrick
m
l
June 12, 2010 6:16:33 PM

LoL !!!

Hybrid graphics ain't good for nothin' ('cept to make you buy a mobo and an ATi card !! )

"Incredible performance", My ass!...
... You can research "that" all you want but that would be a fatal error and a complete waste of money, time and effort ...

... ATi knows better than to shoot their foot off by creating a "cheap" IGP interface that could actually game better than an (exSPENsive) discreet GPU (like the 5750 and above) ... And ... it SURE won't edit better than the Zotac.

Do what you want, tho ... go ahead and waste a week learning the (very lame) limitations of the Hybrid Xfire ... Sounds really cool, I know ... FACT? ... That IGP is fast and new enough to do ANY thing OTHER than gaming or edit/render ... YET ...
... The Hybrid graphics are not rellly gonna help with editing, but *MIGHT* boost slower, mediocre (mid tier) type games (like WoW, etc.) (Crysis? ... Snort ! )

If you research Hybrid graphics and decide to buy it ??? You ain't got the brains to edit, anyway, and my efforts here, have been just as wasted as your time and money.

But, hey ... Live and learn ... lemme know how it all works out, for you.

Should have recommended the 890FX and the Zotac and just gone my way.

= Al = (Rotsa-Ruck! )

m
l
!