Sign in with
Your question

Windows boots extremely slow + desktop is barely usable

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 30, 2011 12:48:47 AM

Just solved one problem with my new build (bad psu) and it wasn't long before another one presented it self. I was downloading bf3 on my new rig and it was almost done then windows completely froze and i had to do a hard shutdown, upon rebooting it took several minutes to get past the "starting windows" screen, and after i entered my password it took about three minutes to get past the "welcome" screen. and 14 minutes to load the desktop. i started a few programs at the desktop but they all froze soon after, and i got the blue screen.

and i booted it up again and now the desktop is almost unusable takes literally 5 minutes to recognize a click input.

also ive done a disk check (took an hour to initiate it), and it did absolutely nothing.

what should i do? could it be a faulty hard drive? should i format my hard drive and start fresh?

thanks.

Specs:

MOBO: Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb
Graphics: EVGA GTX 560Ti
PSU: Corsair HX650 Corsair GS600
HDD: Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200rpm

More about : windows boots extremely slow desktop barely usable

October 30, 2011 1:04:04 AM

Win7 64 bit? I'd start again with a different HDD and reload windows.
m
l
October 30, 2011 1:06:08 AM

Does it let you boot on safe mode OK? You were downloading bf3, did you get the chance to install anything or run it or the download never finished?
If safe mode hangs then try to stay in bios for a while.You just installed a new psu, didnt you or it was on another day?
m
l
October 30, 2011 1:22:47 AM

@craighay I don't have another hdd.

@damian86 I'm attempting to boot into safe mode while typing this message.

I got to 83.21% downloaded when the computer froze. I installed other programs like firefox though.

Yeah i just installed a new psu, this was the problem before: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/325125-31-what-build#t2426858

I'm actually going to be doing another disk check, apparently I did the wrong command in cmd before. I did "chkdsk /f" when its suppose to be "chkdsk /r".

I'll report back once its finished.
m
l
October 30, 2011 2:02:03 AM

Must be a harddisk read problem. I have such problem 2 years ago with winxp . My pc hangs up during the winxp loading for almost 15 minutes.After i change my harddisk all goes fine. And also remove your all rams and clean them and insert them in other slots.
m
l
October 30, 2011 2:06:21 AM

While i was starting windows the system restarted and now it doesn't detect my hard drive. it says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I unplugged all the drive's cables and plugged them back in checking if they were secured, same thing. Also I checked the BIOS and it doesn't detect the hdd there either. Could i just have had a bad hard drive from the beginning and the extremely slow windows was just leading up to hdd failure?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2011 2:08:20 AM

ndm250 said:
@craighay I don't have another hdd.

@damian86 I'm attempting to boot into safe mode while typing this message.

I got to 83.21% downloaded when the computer froze. I installed other programs like firefox though.

Yeah i just installed a new psu, this was the problem before: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/325125-31-what-build#t2426858

I'm actually going to be doing another disk check, apparently I did the wrong command in cmd before. I did "chkdsk /f" when its suppose to be "chkdsk /r".

I'll report back once its finished.

Can u run the Memtest or Windows memory diagnostics?
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnos...
m
l
October 30, 2011 2:22:14 AM

I honestly just had a problem with my hard drive running windows. It was super slow and had all kinds of hangs and freezes. if youre able to get it running again i would do the smart test that i recommended. I did it on mine and it failed so i just went to best buy and got the same hard drive and ran a test on that one and it passed and now everything runs perfectly. Did you by any chance order your hard drive online because sometimes shipping really doesnt give a damn about handling those things. The first harddrive i ordered was shipped to me from newegg and it had problems so that's why im asking. If you have a store you can go to just go pick up a hard drive. try it out and if you still have the same problems just take it back.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2011 2:26:00 AM

Daioh said:
I honestly just had a problem with my hard drive running windows. It was super slow and had all kinds of hangs and freezes. if youre able to get it running again i would do the smart test that i recommended. I did it on mine and it failed so i just went to best buy and got the same hard drive and ran a test on that one and it passed and now everything runs perfectly. Did you by any chance order your hard drive online because sometimes shipping really doesnt give a damn about handling those things. The first harddrive i ordered was shipped to me from newegg and it had problems so that's why im asking. If you have a store you can go to just go pick up a hard drive. try it out and if you still have the same problems just take it back.

At this time it could be anything, maybe even virus or another HW fail : )

m
l
October 30, 2011 2:34:36 AM

Daioh said:

I'll try the test if windows boots.

Yeah i actually did order it online from newegg like you, i got it (samsung 1tb spinpoint 7200rpm) so cheap for only $50. I'll probably just rma it and pray i dont get another bad one.

also does anyone know if ill be okay with installing windows on another drive? im only worried because its OEM, tho OEM is "tied" to the motherboard right?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2011 2:36:00 AM

ndm250 said:
I'll try the test if windows boots.

Yeah i actually did order it online from newegg like you, i got it (samsung 1tb spinpoint 7200rpm) so cheap for only $50. I'll probably just rma it and pray i dont get another bad one.

BTW, did u run successfully Chkdsk?
m
l
October 30, 2011 2:41:45 AM

nikorr said:
BTW, did u run successfully Chkdsk?

no, i never got a chance to run chkdsk /r. the system rebooted while loading windows, and it didn't recognize the drive after.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2011 2:43:41 AM

ndm250 said:
no, i never got a chance to run chkdsk /r. the system rebooted while loading windows, and it didn't recognize the drive after.

Bummer, can u see the HDD in the BIOS post?
m
l
October 30, 2011 2:57:05 AM

nikorr said:
Bummer, can u see the HDD in the BIOS post?

Nope. Doesn't show up on the boot menu or under the occupied sata ports in the BIOS, only the cd drive shows up.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2011 2:58:17 AM

OK, is it buzzing inside on the touch?
m
l
October 30, 2011 4:19:35 AM

To answer your question
Yes it is tied to the motherboard not the hard drive. You can put it on as many hard drives as you want and they will all run windows 7 on your computer and your computer only. Just don't lose that product key.
m
l
October 30, 2011 4:52:52 AM

Actually, you can reuse your WIN-Vista, WIN7 in an entirely different PC - but you MAY have to contact Microsoft to explain that your hardware failed and was replaced. They monitor via the 'net now, so they can see if two PC's are using the same key at the same time, or not. No biggie.
m
l
!