Save to HDD instead of SSD

anti-form

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
So i recently built a computer.
I used an SSD (128 GB) and HDD (3 TB)
Installed the OS (windows 7) to the SSD and was going to use the HDD for for everything else.
Ive had a few issues with it so far. Everything is saving to the SSD. Sometimes it gives me the option where i want to save things and sometimes it doesnt. So its hard to make sure everything goes to the HDD.
Windows recognizes The HDD but the BIOS doesnt.

Is there any way i can make the HDD the default place where files and programs go?
Also it is partitioned but it also has 746.52 GB of "unallocated space" is there any way i can make that space usable?
Is it also possible to format the the SSD even though it has windows on it? (the reason i want to do this is because i cant get rid of some files and i would like to start from scratch if necessary to make sure the SSD only has the OS on it.)

If you need additional info feel free to ask.

Thank you for your help and time.

Also i did search various websites for answers but no solution really helped my situation.

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
1)
you should use your SSD for OS and Apps. So you really should be installing your Apps to your SSD anyway.

2) Default places where "files" go depends on the program you are using to save files.
Usually in preferences you can adjust stuff.
There is windows changes you can do to change the Windows UserData directory, if that is what you are saying (like the files for your desktop). Search on changing Windows User location.

3) the 746gb of unallocated space seems like you did not set up your HDD right, you can maybe reclaim that with DiskManager in windows. Press F1 and use windows help to learn more or use google.

4) If you want to get rid of files, find the files and move/delete them. if you want to start from scratch that means starting from scratch.

You have a contradiction when you say you want to start from scratch but also want to keep things. Has to be one or the other.

Finally don't worry so much if some Data is on the SSD. Go ahead and use your SSD, don't let it use you. Since you got a 128gb model, you shouldn't have to worry about micromanaging every single file.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
What exactly are you trying to save on your HDD? Like ray said programs & obviously the OS goes to the SSD. If your having trouble finding your secondary HDD while saving files (either from downloading or just saving some kind of file) i might be a bit concerned since i myself put all my kept/important files on my secondary drive. It's still kinda vague on what exactly your having trouble with.

anti-form

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
games, and other larger files such as recordings, when recordings take up a lot of space because its uncompressed data. I plan on making videos for youtube making game commentaries. Now i can save things to it but it doesn't let me retrieve them. For example i can transfer a game to the HDD but an error message pops up when i try to retrieve it.

anti-form

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

This is the drive im having trouble with.

Also the SSD is an OCZ Agility 4 AGT4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive