Tripple Monitor Choice

Nom4d

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Greetings lovely people!

Over the next few months I'll be in the market for a tripple monitor set-up. For the sake of aesthetics I'm looking for a single monitor model (either 23" or 24") that's nicely suited for a multi-monitor set up. What I'm looking for is a monitor that has a relatively slim edge on the sides, full HD and is somewhere in the price range of 150 and 300 euro's. I'd prefer a monitor that's somewhat geared towards gaming (low response time/little to no ghosting, vivid colors and good stuff like that) but obviously isn't too expensive.

I've been doing a few days of searching and it's hard to find a monitor that's a decent trade off between functionality (able to line them up decently for example) and image quality. This is why I'm asking the good people of Tom's Hardware forum to see if you had any options I could consider. I'll be running them on two HD 5870's so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any tips, ideas and mostly suggestions would all be greatly appreciated!

Well if you want to run Triple monitors(Eyefinity), then you would need to run atleast 1 monitor using the Display Port...So you would either have to have a monitor with a Display port or use an active display adaptor...

For regular monitors, check these out...
http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/asus-vw246h-lcd-display/4505-3174_7-33411725.html
http://www.zdnet.com/reviews/product/lcd-monitors/acer-p235hbmid-lcd-display-tft-23/33709178

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Your not going to find a cheap monitor with good color thats for sure. TN technology is dreadful for color.

IPS monitors have times better color but expensive and a little higher response time. The Dell Ultrasharps are very nice.

Thin bezel monitors haven't been introduced into the market yet. Probably a couple months off. The thinnest bezel I have seen is the Acer LEDs but they are TN panels so color is no good.

Nom4d

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions, those do look very good. You mention having to have a display port, is there any particular reason besides the available DVI ports on the card, because I will be running two cards in Crossfire so I should have four DVI ports available.

^ Yes...It is the standard way of connecting 3 monitors in Eyefinity mode -
2x DVI + 1 DP or 1x DVI + 1x HDMI + 1x DP
So always 1 monitor should be connected via the Display Port...

And if you run the cards in Crossfire, you can only use the ports from the primary card...
Only when running in non-xfire mode, you can use the ports on the 2nd card...

Nom4d

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Allright, that's very good to know. You possibly saved me 200 euros in needless expenses and headaches. So a very big thanks!

Any good suggestions for monitors with a Display Port, keeping in mind the criteria from my first post. Asking everyone ofcourse!