"Relaying to So an So Prohibited by Adminstrator?"

I just formatted and re-installed XP Pro. All is well save an odd quirk
in my mail settings for Netscape 7.2 - I know this is not a NG for
Netscape - but when I try to send mail from Netscape I get the message -
"Relaying to <email address> is prohibited by administrator, please
verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and
try again."

I used my laptop to reset all mail settings on the desktop and my laptop
works.

Now, the interesting thing is that I just sent this message to this NG
using the same outgoing smtp server; smtp.mindspring.com and it works.

I can also go to my company server and to comcast.net and send email
through those email clients.

I am puzzled. The only thing that is different from my pre-format is
that my NIC card is not working so I am connecting to my cable modem via
a 10/100 USB LAN connection.

Is it related?

Newsgroups don't use smtp. They use NNTP.

Usually this message means you are trying to send mail while not logged on to the mail server. EG you are trying to use comcast mail servers while connected via another ISP. For anti spam reasons ISPs prohibited relaying years ago. If they allow relaying then all other ISPs will block all mails from that ISP.

For those of us that can relay we typically have to use a name/password to send mail (whereas most people have to have an IP address that is from the ISP - no username or password required)

http://www.uscricket.com

David Candy wrote:
> Newsgroups don't use smtp. They use NNTP.
>
> Usually this message means you are trying to send mail while not logged on to the mail server. EG you are trying to use comcast mail servers while connected via another ISP. For anti spam reasons ISPs prohibited relaying years ago. If they allow relaying then all other ISPs will block all mails from that ISP.
>
> For those of us that can relay we typically have to use a name/password to send mail (whereas most people have to have an IP address that is from the ISP - no username or password required)

Thanks - I solved it by typing in my comcast address in the outgoing
server box since that is my ISP.

Your ISP has the answer.