NexStar SE MRK-525ST

dklittle

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hello,

I purchased a NexStar SE MRK-525ST dual 2.5" Hard Drive Rack for my new build PC. On the box, it says it "supports two 2.5" SATA I/II hard drives or ssd." Also, it says on the box, "Enjoy maximum transfer rates of up to 3 Gbps." Now I realized after my purchase that my SSD is SATA III. However, I looked online at http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/434, and it says there that the same model (I triple checked the model) hard drive rack supports SATA III and 6 Gbps transfer rates. Can anyone explain this to me? Should I get a different hard drive rack, or should it be fine?

Thank you.

dklittle

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
I was looking around and found this concerning SATA cables...

Quote:
( from Maximum PC http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/your_sata_cable_slowing_down_your_data_transfers_max_pc_investigates )

Let’s first say that when we started this, we were absolutely sure we’d see a difference. Afterall, moving to an authentic SATA 6Gb/s cable cleared up our problems the first time right? Wrong. As we worked our way through the first few cables, we began to realize that the SATA I/O did its work when it first put together the Serial ATA spec for cables. There is virtually no difference between a brand-new SATA 6Gb/s marked cable made this year and one produced nearly eight years ago as far as performance goes. Expensive cable, cheap cable; long cable, short cable—none of it seemingly made a real difference. If anything, the minor variances in performance can be attributed to variances in the benchmark or the SSD.

I think that might apply here, but I'd still like some input.

The NexStar is nothing more than a drive bay adapter/tray that allows you to fit two ssd's in one standard 5.25 inch drive bay in your pc case. It has absolutely nothing to do with ssd performance. There was no real reason to advertise the adapter/tray like that.

I have posted links to that article at Maximum PC several times to drive home the point that there is no difference between cables advertised SATA II and cables advertised as SATA III. There is only one international standard. It is just an advertising gimmick. The SATA cables that came with your motherboard will do just fine.