Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Trying to recover data from a corrupt HDD

Last response: in Storage
August 2, 2012 11:24:27 PM

So here's my situation: The HDD crashed on my bro's PC and he asked me to try to recover the data for him. He was getting a 'disk read error - press ctrl-alt-del to restart' message when he tries to boot up. I figured it would be simple to take his HDD and plug it into my pc to try to troubleshoot it/ recover the data. Nope. Anything I try to do with that HDD freezes my pc or crashes it. It will show up in the BIOS, but my pc won't boot with it plugged in. I can plug it in after my pc has loaded and get it to show up in device manager by scanning for hardware changes. It will also show up in Intel's Rapid Storage Technology program. It will not show up in 'my computer'. If I try to open 'disk management' with it plugged in it explorer.exe will crash. If I try to launch R-studio with it plugged in, R-studio will not launch and finally, I can't shutdown windows with it plugged in. I've tryed booting/repairing my bro's pc with a Vista ISO loaded onto an external USB HDD via YUMI 0.0.6.5., but if I try to repair it it says that there is no OS currently loaded and if I try to install it tells me there is no HDD and that I need to install the SATA drivers for the HDD but trying to install the SATA drivers crashes the VISTA install program... lol. Anyways, I'm about ready to give up on this whole thing, I figure the HDD is FUBAR and there's no hope for it. Thought I'd ask the pro's here for some advice first though before I tell him the bad news. Here's some specs for ya:

My PC (The working one):

HP Pavilion a1654n

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00787402&cc=us&dlc=fr&lc=en&product=3262025

Win 7 OS

Bro's Pc (busted HDD):

Acer Aspire a1640-b1580a:

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireM1640/AspireM1640sp2.shtml

Vista OS

Need any more info? Any suggestions?? THANKS!

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 3, 2012 12:06:13 AM

try running any of the utilities from the manufacturer to see ifyou can repair it.

for example if it's seagate, seagate will have a utility/tool that maybe can fix/diagnose the drive.

That being said, depends how important the data is. If it really is important then don't touch it, and you you ship it off for data recovery. You should note that datarecovery costs a lot like $500+.

August 3, 2012 2:40:17 AM

raytseng said:
try running any of the utilities from the manufacturer to see ifyou can repair it.

for example if it's seagate, seagate will have a utility/tool that maybe can fix/diagnose the drive.

That being said, depends how important the data is. If it really is important then don't touch it, and you you ship it off for data recovery. You should note that datarecovery costs a lot like $500+.

I did as you suggested and ran Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test on the drive. The quick scan revealed corrupted sectors and it offered to attempt a repair. The 'repair' resulted in a "failure code 0x75 Defective device, component failure" message. Looks like my initial assesment of the situation was correct. HDD is toast. I'm trying a couple of other options in the disk utility, but I'm not really hoping for much. There isn't really anything in there that is worth the expense of sending it away for recovery.

Thanks for your help! :) 

Deaner
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 3, 2012 3:39:39 AM

yea, your option now, is just financial rather then data oriented;

and getting a new replacement drive from hitatchi or acer (if you still have warranty).
m
l
August 3, 2012 4:21:30 AM

Best answer selected by Deanersaur.
m
l
August 3, 2012 4:27:10 AM

raytseng said:
yea, your option now, is just financial rather then data oriented;

and getting a new replacement drive from hitatchi or acer (if you still have warranty).

Yeah you bet. They decided to buy a new HDD (warranty has expired) and go from there. We discussed upgrading to a new PC, but they only use it for web surfing and music so it's not really worth it for them.

Thanks again for your help.

m
l
!