Sign in with
Your question

GTX 470 vs HD 5850

Last response: in Systems
June 11, 2010 2:02:01 AM

Hi all. I am planning on building a new computer next week, but am currently up in the air about what GPU to get.

The 5850 at Newegg.ca is approximately $30-50 cheaper than a GTX 470, however the GTX 470 is a newer card, and with driver improvements, will necessarily improve in terms of preformance.

However, 2 factors are offsetting my mental confirmation on getting a 470, heat (which would hinder the overclockability of the card, something which I assume the 5850 excels at) and SLI (I plan on using the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5, so SLI will not be possible in the future).

So I am looking for suggestions. Should I get the HD 5850 for $~40 less with more overclockability and the ability to Crossfire in the future, or should I go the 470 route and receive performance improving drivers at the expense of heat, power and inability to use SLI?

Looking for unbiased responses, thanks!

More about : gtx 470 5850

June 11, 2010 2:42:20 AM

If you are going to get an 890FX chipset, getting an nVidia card means you are wasting money on the motherboard because you cant use the extra PCI-E lanes you pay for over the 890GX.

I would definitely go for a 5850 with the 890FX chipset, you can crossfire in the future, and i dont think that the slight performance advantage of the 470 is worth the extra $40.
m
l
June 11, 2010 11:02:18 AM

Well instead of taking our word for it:

Read as many reviews pitting both and let us know how many reviews scream:

The GTX 470 is a better buy than the HD 5850

i build with both camps but the pendulum swings both ways in the GPU Wars over the years and this time ATI holds the cards
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2010 11:32:08 AM

price/performance is very good with the 470. It has some disadvantages like heat(it can operate at higher temps than a 5850 though) and power consumption. But it also has some nice features like physx, CUDA and 3d vision.

I love nvidia and bought a 470 myself. It's worth the money but it isn't that much a better buy than a 5850.

In you case though without the ability of sli I think a 5850 would be better
m
l
June 11, 2010 2:38:00 PM

batuchka said:
Well instead of taking our word for it:

Read as many reviews pitting both and let us know how many reviews scream:

The GTX 470 is a better buy than the HD 5850

i build with both camps but the pendulum swings both ways in the GPU Wars over the years and this time ATI holds the cards

What he's trying to say is:

Anandtech
Quote:
we have the GTX 470 to discuss...With a price right between the 5850 and 5870, it delivers performance right where you’d expect it to be... It’s not a huge bargain, but it’s competitively priced against the 5870. Against the 5850 this is less true where it’s a mere 2-8% faster, but this isn’t unusual for cards above $300 – the best values are rarely found there. The 5850 is the bargain hunter’s card, otherwise if you can spend more pick a price and you’ll find your card.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-s-geforce-gtx...

Tom's Hardware
Quote:
Well, getting your feet in the door here costs $350. A flagship GeForce GTX 480 runs $500. Radeon HD 5850s recently dropped back down to $300 and Radeon HD 5870s can be found around $400. Though the GeForce cards are faster than their single-GPU competition, the premium is hard to swallow.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,258...

HardOCP
Quote:
The HD 5850 is the clear value winner when compared to the GTX 470. We have been telling you that the Radeon 5850 is the best value in enthusiast video cards since last year and the GTX 470 does nothing to change that.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/25/nvidia_fermi_...

There's the top 3 hardware review sites for you.
m
l
June 11, 2010 3:26:44 PM

sorry to say this but the hardOCP review sucks they did limited testing which didn't really show where fermi exels in. Medium res. with settings on high. There is no doubt that if that is the main use of your GPU that nvidia is the way to go.

Also note although there are many cheap 5870's and 5850's those don't have good combos. Nvidia has amazing combo as a compensation for the high price(since they don't want to go below the RRP)
m
l
June 11, 2010 3:57:13 PM

SUPER NAME said:

Looking for unbiased responses, thanks!

Unbiased responses are based on supporting evidence, IE test data. All 3 articles I linked are from highly respected hardware reviews sites who have based their conclusions on testing, cost analysis and other factors as they explain.

Stating an opinion without supporting evidence is by definition, a bias.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:09:00 PM

What evidance should I give? hardOCP did less tests what else can I say?
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:20:11 PM

The consensus amongst hardware reviewers is that the current ATI cards are better values than Nvidia cards. Even if you disagree with the methodology of 1 reviewer, you still must account for the other reviewers.

If 50 separate studies show that smoking damages ones health, does pointing out that the test methodology in 1 or 2 of the studies were not to your satisfaction nullify the results of the other tests? No of course not.

The way to dispute the claim is to gather sufficient evidence from enough other scientifically valid studies supporting the counterclaim.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:24:44 PM

Now this is an extensive review

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

The contradicting conclusions alone already tell the story. All reviews respect the nvidia product exept the hardOCP review. Yes they mey have made good conclusion through analysis of the tests. But four games simply doesn't suffice as a good test.

Please don't agravate my by saying stupid things like that.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:25:58 PM

Did I ever say that ati delivers worse value overall than nvidia? No I didn't or didn't mean to any ways since it would be absurd. Ati cards are all rounders they perform on all resolutions but if you're going with a single medium sized screen all tests will point out that nvidia provides better value. Nvidia made cards for a certain target group. If you're within it it's definately a product to consider. If not go with ati.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:26:23 PM

out of the three reviews other than hardOCP the conclusions are

1. It's better value than ati

2. It's equal value to ati

3. It's slightly worse

Which brings you to the consensus that both companies make good products

HardOCP on the other hand unjustly breaks nvidia down.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:31:11 PM

There's one thing that you have to keep in mind that i think only the first few posters mentioned...

You can't SLI your 470 if you get one, so you're stuck with it. But, you can spend less on a 5850 and while your performance may be a little less, your ability to upgrade has literally doubled.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:34:28 PM

No I'm not saying they didn't do enough testing. They sure did enough.

And as for what the OP wants to know well I said my opinion in my first post. 5850 because of the upgradability.

Yes I suppose he can and the hardwarecanucks review is also good
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:36:01 PM

I seriously hope you're not claiming Tom's and Anandtech's reviews to be insufficient testing.

The OP wants to know which card, 470 vs 5850 is the better value. Yes, the 470 has better performance. The question is, is it sufficiently better performance to warrant the price, heat and energy difference.

The OP can read the conclusions from Tom's and Anandtech for himself and see what those sites think the answer is.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:43:08 PM

This thread is meant to help the OP decided which GPU to buy. Batuchka and I are advising him to get a 5850.

If you're also advising the OP to buy a 5850, why exactly have you spent all this time arguing for the 470?

If you want to argue the value of a 470 vs 5850 in general, start your own thread on that topic.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:45:16 PM

I don't care about starting a thread I just wanted to show why I'm not wrong.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:53:22 PM

Somebody_007 said:

And as for what the OP wants to know well I said my opinion in my first post. 5850 because of the upgradability.

Somebody_007 said:
I don't care about starting a thread I just wanted to show why I'm not wrong.

No one here is arguing that your recommendation is wrong, except yourself...

m
l
!