SSd 60Gb ASus ssd caching? or just boot drive

deadeye22

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
Hi i have a WD caviar black sata II 640GB hard disk and i bought the asus z77deluxe. My question is, if i mainly do gaming and browsing whats better, ssd caching or just use the OCZ Agility 3 60GB for a boot drive and some hardcore games

Depends on how many programs and games you will be installing on the SSD.

The 60GB after formatting is 55.8GB. A Windows 7 install with all Service Packs and updates is around 20GB. So you're looking at around 36GB of space left to install your programs and games.

deadeye22

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
i already got the 60GB. I sacrificed the 3770 non K for the 3570K cos everyone told me i wasnt going to notice the difference and with my case and cooler i could just keep it at 4.0Ghz and play my games. Im just asking whats the best thing to do with it... I just play games on 1920x1080 and web browsing

Boot drive.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about caching. Intel developed caching for clients and businesses that could not afford a large capacity ssd. Back when the concept was on the drawing board, Intel hoped clients and businesses would purchase a small 10Gb or 20GB for about $100.00. Microsoft Windows 7 and all software applications would remain on hard disk drives. The cache only produced a minor boost in hard drive performance. Intel hoped that once clients saw the slight performance boost they might be inclined to purchase a larger ssd for much better performance.

Intel also researched the size of the cache. Intel determined that a 60GB ssd was the point where it made no sense to use the ssd as a cache for a hard drive. Instead if you have a 60GB or larger capacity ssd, then Windows 7 and software applications should be installed on the ssd to take full advantage of the ssd capabilities.

Since you have a 60GB ssd, it makes more sense to install Windows 7 your applications and a couple of your favorite games on the ssd. The ssd performance boost is much higher than the hard disk drive performance increase.

Windows 7 will use up a somewhere around 20GB leaving room for a couple of most favorite games. Additional games can be stored on a hard drive. You can swap games when necessary. It is easy to do.

deadeye22

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
ok so i decided to install windows my drivers for the mobo graphics card etc. as well as skype antivirus and such. That will leave 1-2 games to put on it. I game with 10-12 games installed at the same time so im going to keep the rest on the hard drive.. That wont mess up my mobo right? i mean its fine to play a game on the HD while the OS is on the SSD

TRENDING THREADS