Hard Disc For IBM T20

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 4:56:52 AM

A mate is offering my his IBM T20 for sale very cheaply.

My only reservation is that the hard disc installed is 6Gb.

can anyone tell me where the cheapest place in UK is to get a 2nd hand
hard disc (12Gb or more).

Does it need to be IBM branded or are laptop hard diskcs
interchangeable?

Regards

Steve Fisher

More about : hard disc ibm t20

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 7:39:04 AM

Where is the cheapest place in UK for laptop hard disks?

Regards

Steve
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 1:31:38 PM

Steve F wrote:
> A mate is offering my his IBM T20 for sale very cheaply.

Well grab it then. T2x series are fine machines. I would prfer my T20
any new cheap laptop - regardless of price difference.

> My only reservation is that the hard disc installed is 6Gb.
>
> can anyone tell me where the cheapest place in UK is to get a 2nd hand
> hard disc (12Gb or more).
>
> Does it need to be IBM branded or are laptop hard diskcs
> interchangeable?

They're interchangeable. The T20 will support any size (capacity)
currently available. all you hae to watch out for is that the
replacement is no more than 9.5mm in height.
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 3:54:40 PM

I'd like to have a laptop, mostly for coding/programming purposes, so I
need something powerful.

1. Which processor should I choose? Pentium-M (Dothan), P-4 with
Hyperthrading or AMD-64 ?

2. I don't like desktop-replacement laptops as I'll be traveling a lot.
Is there any laptops with a good balance between power (for coding) and
mobility ? Which laptops are you suggesting?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 3:54:41 PM

> I'd like to have a laptop, mostly for coding/programming purposes, so I
> need something powerful.

Coding what, exactly? Linux? Windows? Embedded systems? Or "coding"
HTML?

I spend most of my day working on embedded code for 8-bit and 32-bit
microcontrollers (AVR, COP, MSP430, ARM7). There is no discernible
difference, with these compilers, between build times on a 900MHz PIII
and a 2.4GHz P4.

Building the entire Linux kernel, now, that can take a while on a
slower CPU. But again, apps generally have a much smaller code volume,
so the productivity gain from a faster CPU is a lot smaller than you
might think.

Building Windows apps - not that I do that often any more, thank God -
the hard drive seems to be active for almost all of the build process.
This would argue that lots of RAM and a fast hard drive would be a
better purchase than a faster CPU. The same is probably true for
database programming.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 10:43:23 PM

Martin Slaney <slaz@dsl.NIET_SPAMpipex.com> wrote:

> They're interchangeable. The T20 will support any size (capacity)
> currently available. all you hae to watch out for is that the
> replacement is no more than 9.5mm in height.

The T20 (as well as the T21, T22, T23 and T30) will take 12.5mm thick HDs,
the 9.5mm thick HDs are only a requirement in the new T40 series machines.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 4:06:27 PM

JHEM wrote:
> Martin Slaney <slaz@dsl.NIET_SPAMpipex.com> wrote:
>
>>They're interchangeable. The T20 will support any size (capacity)
>>currently available. all you hae to watch out for is that the
>>replacement is no more than 9.5mm in height.
>

> The T20 (as well as the T21, T22, T23 and T30) will take 12.5mm thick HDs,
> the 9.5mm thick HDs are only a requirement in the new T40 series machines.

Are you sure ?? The gap in my T20 (with 9.5 mm drive) looks less than
3mm. A while ago I nearly bought a 48GB 5400 Travelstar (12.5 mm) but
reckoned it wouldn't fit ....
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 8:24:30 PM

Martin,

Martin Slaney <slaz@dsl.NIET_SPAMpipex.com> wrote:

> Are you sure ?? The gap in my T20 (with 9.5 mm drive) looks less than
> 3mm. A while ago I nearly bought a 48GB 5400 Travelstar (12.5 mm) but
> reckoned it wouldn't fit ....

I'm _positive_. The DJSA-232 32GB and Travelstar 48GH 48GB HDs that were
standard in a lot of the T series machines are both 12.5mm thick drives.

http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/852...$file/djsa_ps.PDF
and

http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/852...$file/T48gh30gn15gn_ds.pdf

Any early (pre T40) series T machine will take 12.5mm thick HDs in both the
primary HD bay as well as the Ultrabay 2000 2nd HD adapter.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
October 21, 2004 6:03:34 AM

> Lewin A.R.W. Edwardswrote:
This would argue that lots of RAM and a fast hard drive would be a
better purchase than a faster CPU. The same is probably true for
database programming.
Ah Lewin, wise in the ways of the Force are you! :wink:

90% of the folks I see every day lugging around the latest and
greatest laptops from every manufacturer, all with the most bleeding
edge processors, would be just as well served with a decent PIIIM
between 750MHz and 1GHz, .5GB to 1GB of RAM and a fast (7200RPM) HD!

For word processing, general emailing and surfing, more simply isn't
needed.

Regards,

James

Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums:
http://forum.thinkpads.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 21, 2004 3:40:49 PM

JHEM wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Martin Slaney <slaz@dsl.NIET_SPAMpipex.com> wrote:
>
>>Are you sure ?? The gap in my T20 (with 9.5 mm drive) looks less than
>>3mm. A while ago I nearly bought a 48GB 5400 Travelstar (12.5 mm) but
>>reckoned it wouldn't fit ....
>

> I'm _positive_. The DJSA-232 32GB and Travelstar 48GH 48GB HDs that were
> standard in a lot of the T series machines are both 12.5mm thick drives.
>
> http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/852...$file/djsa_ps.PDF
> and
>
> http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/852...$file/T48gh30gn15gn_ds.pdf
>
> Any early (pre T40) series T machine will take 12.5mm thick HDs in both the
> primary HD bay as well as the Ultrabay 2000 2nd HD adapter.

OK OK then - I bow to your extensive Thinkpad knowledge :-)

Errr ... while you're (hopefully) here ... I wonder if I could prevail
on your kindness to make an educated guess on the following ...

My beloved (now old, I suppose) T20 has developed the following annoying
habit ...

On first (from cold) power-up, more often than not, the screen is "dark"
- display visible but _very_ faint. It has never failed to come up to
normal brightness, but I can't figure out whether thats due to just
leaving it for a couple of minutes, or whether it correlates to hingeing
the screen backwards and forwards a bit. Sometimes it will come back to
full brightness of its own accord .... usually a hinge movement seems to
accelerate that.

So I'm surmising its either the LCD cable gone dodgy, or its the
inverter board in a state whereby it needs to "warm up" a bit ...

Could you make a guess as to what to twiddle or replace first ?

TIA muchly ....
!