Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

best shop in NY for photography

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 14, 2004 10:24:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hi all,
I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:

Canon eos 20 D
Canon ef 24-70L Lens

I heard B&H is good.

I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as a
British citizen.

Thanks

More about : shop photography

December 14, 2004 10:24:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>, pc-services@ukf.net
says...
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as a
> British citizen.
>
> Thanks
>

You get to pay extra for the power adaptor so you can use the camera when you
go home...

The taxes are what the taxes are..

Unless you are a re-seller with a valid tax-exempt stamp, you will have to
pay the same taxes as a N.Y. resident.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
December 14, 2004 10:24:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Your discount will be the current exchange rate of the euro against the
dollar! Isn't that why you're coming?
Bob
"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
a
> British citizen.
>
> Thanks
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:24:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Viktor wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as a
> British citizen.
>
> Thanks



Yes! B&H as well as Adorama are very reliable sources.
No tax break because we do not have a VAT like you have in Europe.
N.Y. will add a City and State tax of about 8 5/8 as Joe indicated.
Bob Williams
December 14, 2004 10:24:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Viktor,

get yourself the 20 in Germany.

Dont ask for a stupid american to help. Even it they werent stupid
(remember, they voted for Bush 2 times), only a friend could bring u a
camera and a lens to London without having to worry.

Its more expensive, but, you will get the european warranty and you wont
give your money to a USA store...



"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> a écrit dans le message de
news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
a
> British citizen.
>
> Thanks
>
>
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:24:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.

It is the best.

> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
> a
> British citizen.

You can avoid the New York State sales tax (which is a few percent) if you
have the equipment shipped to a location outside New York State. B&H can
advise about this.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:24:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c290b4e4b787b2989872@news.comcast.giganews.com...
> In article <41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
pc-services@ukf.net
> says...
> > I heard B&H is good.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price
as a
> > British citizen.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
>
> You get to pay extra for the power adaptor so you can use the camera when
you
> go home...

Why? I don't know this camera, but does it use a proprietory battery? And
if so, won't it take a range of electrical currents (as are most of the
proprietory batteries these days)? All he may need is a plug converter so
he can plug it into the British outlets.

>
> The taxes are what the taxes are..
>
> Unless you are a re-seller with a valid tax-exempt stamp, you will have to
> pay the same taxes as a N.Y. resident.
>
>
> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:24:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> You get to pay extra for the power adaptor so you can use the camera when
> you
> go home...

Modern ones are often good for anything from 100 to 240 volts. Look on the
battery charger to see. Anyhow, a battery charger draws so little power
that you can run it off a British 120-volt electric shaver outlet if you
have to.
December 14, 2004 10:24:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <3291uiF3igqpqU1@individual.net>, peterl@hotmail.com says...
> Why? I don't know this camera, but does it use a proprietory battery? And
> if so, won't it take a range of electrical currents (as are most of the
> proprietory batteries these days)? All he may need is a plug converter so
> he can plug it into the British outlets.
>
>

Yup, thats what I was talking about.. it may be small and it may be cheap,
but he has to PAY for it, as it doesn't come with the camera.

Its called an adapter (or adaptor).

Great Britain does not use 117volt 60hz electrical current, as we do in the
US.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:24:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c2930143d21d452989875@news.comcast.giganews.com...
> In article <3291uiF3igqpqU1@individual.net>, peterl@hotmail.com says...
> > Why? I don't know this camera, but does it use a proprietory battery?
And
> > if so, won't it take a range of electrical currents (as are most of the
> > proprietory batteries these days)? All he may need is a plug converter
so
> > he can plug it into the British outlets.
> >
> >
>
> Yup, thats what I was talking about.. it may be small and it may be cheap,
> but he has to PAY for it, as it doesn't come with the camera.
>
> Its called an adapter (or adaptor).
>
> Great Britain does not use 117volt 60hz electrical current, as we do in
the
> US.
>

Where do you live in the US that uses 117v? I'll need to get an adaptor for
my camera when I come to your part of the country.

All he needs is a **plug** adaptor, if at all. Because the camera is likely
to take a range of currents, including the 240V in England.

>
> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:34:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
> a
> British citizen.

No you won't though you *may* be able to claim tax at the airport. Don't
forget the price you see is not the price you pay. They do not add on sales
tax until you get to the till so bank on it being around 6% more than what
you see on the tag.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:34:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Angela" <anyoldmail@gmail.takethisout.com> wrote in message
news:cpnf9a$5u3$1@news.freedom2surf.net...
>
> "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
> news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> > Hi all,
> > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
> >
> > Canon eos 20 D
> > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
> >
> > I heard B&H is good.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price
as
> > a
> > British citizen.
>
> No you won't though you *may* be able to claim tax at the airport. Don't
> forget the price you see is not the price you pay. They do not add on
sales
> tax until you get to the till so bank on it being around 6% more than what
> you see on the tag.
>

NYC sales tax has not been 6% for a long long time now.

>
>
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:43:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 14 Dec 2004 in rec.photo.digital, Angela wrote:

> No you won't though you *may* be able to claim tax at the airport.
> Don't forget the price you see is not the price you pay. They do
> not add on sales tax until you get to the till so bank on it being
> around 6% more than what you see on the tag.

8 5/8% - see

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/publications/Sales/pub71...

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:45:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>

I hope someone answers the first part of the question. I'm interested to
know is BH the kind of place you can check out a lens and camera
extensively, say for maybe even an hour, shooting test shots and checking
them on say a laptop you bring in yourself? I did this at Samys in LA once
and now I shop there whenever I'm in town.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:46:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Viktor wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as a
> British citizen.
>
> Thanks

Hi Victor...

I'm not in the US - I'm about 75 miles away in one of your
colonies :) 

Used to shop often in the US, so maybe I can offer
a little info...

We don't have to pay their state taxes, IF we have them
ship it to us, rather than carry it home ourself. That's
of course self-defeating, because it sends it straight to
your customs folks.

Alternately, we can carry goods home, and apply for a
rebate of those taxes after we get back. That's a
whole bunch of paper work and delay. And the US tax
folks want a copy of the paperwork proving that we have
paid our taxes on it at this end.

We can also buy at a duty free shop (airport, or border
crossing) and pay no taxes. Doubt however that they'd
have the kind of gear you're looking for available.

None of those will be of help to you, but one more that
just may help a wee bit if it applies to you...

When we visit, if we stay for a weekend and can prove it
(hotel or campground receipt) we're entitled to bring
back 75 dollars canadian duty and tax free. And if we
visit for a full week, we can bring back $300 cdn duty
and tax free.

Which leads me to wonder, if I may? Unless you have
a compelling reason to deal with the US, would you
possibly be as well off or better buying from a Canadian
store? Members of the commonwealth, and all that?
Plus your trip would be shorter, hence perhaps cheaper,
and you wouldn't have to deal with all the 911 after
effects.

If you want to price compare, google Blacks camera, and
price compare. I've no real idea of the value of the
UK pound, but if it helps you compare, the Canadian
dollar is worth .82 cents on the American dollar.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:46:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> Which leads me to wonder, if I may? Unless you have
> a compelling reason to deal with the US, would you
> possibly be as well off or better buying from a Canadian
> store? Members of the commonwealth, and all that?
> Plus your trip would be shorter, hence perhaps cheaper,
> and you wouldn't have to deal with all the 911 after
> effects.

YES! Can he even find a Canadian shop that will ship it to him?

North American pricing, no Canadian GST, and (as I understand it) no duty
going into Britain. Right?
December 14, 2004 10:50:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
> a
> British citizen.
>
> Thanks
>
>


I think Delaware and New Hampshire have NO sales tax, if you can find a
store that carry the items. I doubt many big chain stores would have the
lens in stock. You never know though.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:51:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Viktor wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens

20D Pixmania - GBP 964 incl VAT
24-70L London Camera - GBP 949 incl VAT
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:51:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I bought from them there prices were very good and a quick delivery however
I had to pay vat / import duty but I ordered through the internet .

"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
a
> British citizen.
>
> Thanks
>
>
December 14, 2004 10:52:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Dave knows who" <nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message
news:VpHvd.12000$_3.134088@typhoon.sonic.net...
>
> "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
> news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>> Hi all,
>> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
>> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>>
>> Canon eos 20 D
>> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>>
>> I heard B&H is good.
>>
>
> I hope someone answers the first part of the question. I'm interested to
> know is BH the kind of place you can check out a lens and camera
> extensively, say for maybe even an hour, shooting test shots and checking
> them on say a laptop you bring in yourself? I did this at Samys in LA
> once and now I shop there whenever I'm in town.


No, it's the kind of store that they look at you like a hawk every second.
December 14, 2004 11:03:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
news:328uifF3kf9ukU1@individual.net...
> Viktor wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
> >
> > Canon eos 20 D
> > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> 20D Pixmania - GBP 964 incl VAT
> 24-70L London Camera - GBP 949 incl VAT
>

extortion for short, the uk gov will not get a penny of my hard earned cash!
December 14, 2004 11:09:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <32981jF3l89feU1@individual.net>, peterl@hotmail.com says...
>
> "Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1c2930143d21d452989875@news.comcast.giganews.com...
> > In article <3291uiF3igqpqU1@individual.net>, peterl@hotmail.com says...
> > > Why? I don't know this camera, but does it use a proprietory battery?
> And
> > > if so, won't it take a range of electrical currents (as are most of the
> > > proprietory batteries these days)? All he may need is a plug converter
> so
> > > he can plug it into the British outlets.
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Yup, thats what I was talking about.. it may be small and it may be cheap,
> > but he has to PAY for it, as it doesn't come with the camera.
> >
> > Its called an adapter (or adaptor).
> >
> > Great Britain does not use 117volt 60hz electrical current, as we do in
> the
> > US.
> >
>
> Where do you live in the US that uses 117v? I'll need to get an adaptor for
> my camera when I come to your part of the country.
>
> All he needs is a **plug** adaptor, if at all. Because the camera is likely
> to take a range of currents, including the 240V in England.
>
> >
> > --
> > Larry Lynch
> > Mystic, Ct.
>
>
>
The 117 volts comes from the normal, usual voltage provided to most US homes
when the grid is not overloaded or browned out.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 11:44:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> Hi all,
> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>
> Canon eos 20 D
> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>
> I heard B&H is good.
>
> I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price as
a
> British citizen.
>
B &H according to their advertising is the largest photo shop in the world
and a place where you definitively should go when you are in NYC. I can
imagine you can bargain with them too.

However I have not heard that it is possible to not pay state taxes even if
you are not a resident of the USA (like it is possible for non-EU citizens
to get the UK VAT back). If you have an address outside UK state you should
order online and have your order shipped there.

I am sure you know about the customs when returning to the UK.

Georg

_________
Professionelle Spracherkennung gibt es bei www.linguaconsult.de
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 11:44:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Georg E." <georg_eiNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cpnfq6$ts6$00$1@news.t-online.com...
> "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
> news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
> > Hi all,
> > I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
> > What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
> >
> > Canon eos 20 D
> > Canon ef 24-70L Lens
> >
> > I heard B&H is good.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price
as
> a
> > British citizen.
> >
> B &H according to their advertising is the largest photo shop in the world
> and a place where you definitively should go when you are in NYC. I can
> imagine you can bargain with them too.
>
> However I have not heard that it is possible to not pay state taxes even
if
> you are not a resident of the USA (like it is possible for non-EU citizens
> to get the UK VAT back). If you have an address outside UK state you
should
> order online and have your order shipped there.
>

He wants to avoid customs. Otherwise there is no point in coming to NYC,
except for the exchange rate.


> I am sure you know about the customs when returning to the UK.
>
> Georg
>
> _________
> Professionelle Spracherkennung gibt es bei www.linguaconsult.de
>
>
>
December 14, 2004 11:44:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Georg E. wrote:


> B &H according to their advertising is the largest photo shop in the world
> and a place where you definitively should go when you are in NYC. I can
> imagine you can bargain with them too.
>

I think Viktor qualifies for the "nice face" discount.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 11:44:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

I should add that the only taxes involved are:

- the U.S. duty when the goods entered the U.S. from Japan
(apparently small, and already included in the selling price)

- the 8.6% New York sales tax

We do not have anything like VAT. However, you will presumably have to pay
British duty when you enter Britain with the camera.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 12:07:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:42:07 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Viktor,
>>get yourself the 20 in Germany.
>>Dont ask for a stupid american to help. Even it they werent stupid
>>(remember, they voted for Bush 2 times),

Do you trust someone who would insult a whole country?
December 15, 2004 12:09:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"PeterL" <peterl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3291uiF3igqpqU1@individual.net...
>
> "Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1c290b4e4b787b2989872@news.comcast.giganews.com...
>> In article <41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com>,
> pc-services@ukf.net
>> says...
>> > I heard B&H is good.
>> >
>> > I'm not familiar with the US taxes, but do I get anything off the price
> as a
>> > British citizen.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>>
>> You get to pay extra for the power adaptor so you can use the camera when
> you
>> go home...
>
> Why? I don't know this camera, but does it use a proprietory battery?
> And
> if so, won't it take a range of electrical currents (as are most of the
> proprietory batteries these days)? All he may need is a plug converter so
> he can plug it into the British outlets.
>
>>
>> The taxes are what the taxes are..
>>
>> Unless you are a re-seller with a valid tax-exempt stamp, you will have
>> to
>> pay the same taxes as a N.Y. resident.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Larry Lynch
>> Mystic, Ct.


it has auto switch
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 12:41:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:twHvd.11003$0r.9407@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> "Dave knows who" <nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message
> news:VpHvd.12000$_3.134088@typhoon.sonic.net...
>>
>> "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
>> news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
>>> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>>>
>>> Canon eos 20 D
>>> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>>>
>>> I heard B&H is good.
>>>
>>
>> I hope someone answers the first part of the question. I'm interested to
>> know is BH the kind of place you can check out a lens and camera
>> extensively, say for maybe even an hour, shooting test shots and checking
>> them on say a laptop you bring in yourself? I did this at Samys in LA
>> once and now I shop there whenever I'm in town.
>
>
> No, it's the kind of store that they look at you like a hawk every second.

It's huge and it has EVERYTHING. However, they do watch you like a hawk. A
few years ago when I was buying the Fujifilm 6900 camera, I got the low
price from buydig.com, then went to B&H and asked if they could match. The
guy at the counter literally just turned his back on me and walked away.

The operation is something to behold. From the time you check your bag in
the front to the time your merchandise arrives in a suspended milk carton,
it's like a gigantic supermarket with everything video in it.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 12:54:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:44:29 -0500, "Aloha"
<polkrobert@bbellsouth.net> wrote:

>Your discount will be the current exchange rate of the euro against the
>dollar! Isn't that why you're coming?

No, he's trying to avoid 17.5% UK VAT. And UK suppliers are not as
competitive as the US ones to boot.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:13:03 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:28:46 -0800, Bob Williams
<mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote:

>Yes! B&H as well as Adorama are very reliable sources.
>No tax break because we do not have a VAT like you have in Europe.
>N.Y. will add a City and State tax of about 8 5/8 as Joe indicated.
>Bob Williams

8.625% !

Vic, you definitely need someone to buy it out of state and ship it to
NY where you can pick it up. Maybe buydig.com because they don't have
a NY node. But use pricegrabber.com for this, enter 10011 as a zipcode
(It's Adorama's in NY) and click 'bottom line price' to sort in that
order.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:13:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 7pur0ln2j79e98mth797qeihgsk3m077i@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:28:46 -0800, Bob Williams
> <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >Yes! B&H as well as Adorama are very reliable sources.
> >No tax break because we do not have a VAT like you have in Europe.
> >N.Y. will add a City and State tax of about 8 5/8 as Joe indicated.
> >Bob Williams
>
> 8.625% !
>
> Vic, you definitely need someone to buy it out of state and ship it to
> NY where you can pick it up. Maybe buydig.com because they don't have
> a NY node. But use pricegrabber.com for this, enter 10011 as a zipcode
> (It's Adorama's in NY) and click 'bottom line price' to sort in that
> order.
>

So long as the S&H don't wipe out the tax advantage.

> --
> Owamanga!
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:24:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:15:34 -0500, Larry
<lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote:
>Yup, thats what I was talking about.. it may be small and it may be cheap,
>but he has to PAY for it, as it doesn't come with the camera.
>
>Its called an adapter (or adaptor).
>
>Great Britain does not use 117volt 60hz electrical current, as we do in the
>US.

I only get 110v in Florida, why you get an extra 7v I don't know, do
you pay more for it?. It should be either 110v or 120v depending on
where you are.

The UK is actually 240V 50Hz, officially it's 230V +-10% due to EU
standardization. Most of the rest of Europe is 220V, which again fits
within the allowed error of the standard and makes the whole
standardization exercise pointless.

He can buy the adapter (better known as wall-wart's in the US) back in
the UK, as the US dealers probably won't carry them. But does he even
*need* this? - My D70 works on batteries, I've never plugged anything
into it except a CF card.

--
Owamanga!
December 15, 2004 1:24:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <hnpur0plpcfso0frkq09knj31mo8ii1i6r@4ax.com>, nomail@hotmail.com
says...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:15:34 -0500, Larry
> <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote:
> >Yup, thats what I was talking about.. it may be small and it may be cheap,
> >but he has to PAY for it, as it doesn't come with the camera.
> >
> >Its called an adapter (or adaptor).
> >
> >Great Britain does not use 117volt 60hz electrical current, as we do in the
> >US.
>
> I only get 110v in Florida, why you get an extra 7v I don't know, do
> you pay more for it?. It should be either 110v or 120v depending on
> where you are.
>
> The UK is actually 240V 50Hz, officially it's 230V +-10% due to EU
> standardization. Most of the rest of Europe is 220V, which again fits
> within the allowed error of the standard and makes the whole
> standardization exercise pointless.
>
> He can buy the adapter (better known as wall-wart's in the US) back in
> the UK, as the US dealers probably won't carry them. But does he even
> *need* this? - My D70 works on batteries, I've never plugged anything
> into it except a CF card.
>
> --
> Owamanga!
>

Usuall US power is refered to as 110 volt but in actual fact 117 volts is the
average normal voltage. (you dont have to take my word for it, but I work for
a utility company, and I do know what Im talking about).

On average someone living near the center of the particular grid they are
attached to for power may have a normal voltage reading as high as 120 volts,
the average norm however is expected to be 117 volts throughout the grid.

(It all really depends on the condition of transmission lines, transformers,
and whether or not the physical plant (wiring ect.) is above ground or
underground.

Its not either 110 or 120, but usually somewhere smack dab between the two
(117 volts)


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
December 15, 2004 1:24:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Larry wrote:


> (It all really depends on the condition of transmission lines, transformers,
> and whether or not the physical plant (wiring ect.) is above ground or
> underground.
>


Why does it matter whether it's aerial or buried? (inquiring synapses
and such...)


--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:24:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Larry" <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote in message
news:MPG.1c2958428dee2ead989876@news.comcast.giganews.com...

> Usuall US power is refered to as 110 volt but in actual fact 117 volts is
> the
> average normal voltage. (you dont have to take my word for it, but I work
> for
> a utility company, and I do know what Im talking about).

Used to be. The average voltage for design purposes was considered to be
110 until the 1960s, 117 for a while after that, and presently 120. I have
measured it as high as 129 at my home.

For at least 20 years we have commonly called it "120" rather than "110."

Japan reportedly has 100 volts.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:28:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"PeterL" <peterl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3291rsF3f7dgbU1@individual.net...
>
> NYC sales tax has not been 6% for a long long time now.

I haven't been to NY for a long time!!
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 2:00:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:hnpur0plpcfso0frkq09knj31mo8ii1i6r@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:15:34 -0500, Larry
> <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> wrote:
>>Yup, thats what I was talking about.. it may be small and it may be cheap,
>>but he has to PAY for it, as it doesn't come with the camera.
>>
>>Its called an adapter (or adaptor).
>>
>>Great Britain does not use 117volt 60hz electrical current, as we do in
>>the
>>US.
>
> I only get 110v in Florida, why you get an extra 7v I don't know, do
> you pay more for it?. It should be either 110v or 120v depending on
> where you are.
>
> The UK is actually 240V 50Hz, officially it's 230V +-10% due to EU
> standardization. Most of the rest of Europe is 220V, which again fits
> within the allowed error of the standard and makes the whole
> standardization exercise pointless.
>
> He can buy the adapter (better known as wall-wart's in the US) back in
> the UK, as the US dealers probably won't carry them. But does he even
> *need* this? - My D70 works on batteries, I've never plugged anything
> into it except a CF card.

And the actual battery charger itself (Nikon Quick Charger MH-18) accepts
100-240V AC current at the input. i.e. it's a "universal" charger.

All you need is a cable with a local plug on the end. It's a "figure 8" or
"radio" plug lead in the uk. Not a "kettle" plug lead if you know what I
mean.

Maximum cost £5 - and then you got ripped off. Most likely, you already have
10 or so floating around the house.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 2:27:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> Rainy, damp, and foggy weather can cause a voltage drop on above ground
> lines.. With underground systems the voltage drop in those conditions is
> less
> (unless, of course, there is water incursion).

Why? I would have thought the electricity stays in the metal wires, whose
resistance does not vary.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 2:31:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"PeterL" <peterl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:32983qF3isllrU1@individual.net...
>
> "Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7pur0ln2j79e98mth797qeihgsk3m077i@4ax.com...
> > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:28:46 -0800, Bob Williams
> > <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Yes! B&H as well as Adorama are very reliable sources.
> > >No tax break because we do not have a VAT like you have in Europe.
> > >N.Y. will add a City and State tax of about 8 5/8 as Joe indicated.
> > >Bob Williams
> >
> > 8.625% !
> >
> > Vic, you definitely need someone to buy it out of state and ship it to
> > NY where you can pick it up. Maybe buydig.com because they don't have
> > a NY node. But use pricegrabber.com for this, enter 10011 as a zipcode
> > (It's Adorama's in NY) and click 'bottom line price' to sort in that
> > order.
> >
>
> So long as the S&H don't wipe out the tax advantage.

He's buying $2500 worth of goods.
Unless shipping and handling cost in excess of $215.00 US (The New York
Sales tax!!! Yipe!), I'd say he can have it shipped for FAR less.
December 15, 2004 6:06:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Cynicor" <j.t.r.u..p.i..n...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
news:eeydna32_KjAOSLcRVn-qw@speakeasy.net...
>
> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> news:twHvd.11003$0r.9407@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> "Dave knows who" <nguser2u@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message
>> news:VpHvd.12000$_3.134088@typhoon.sonic.net...
>>>
>>> "Viktor" <pc-services@ukf.net> wrote in message
>>> news:41bf3dd6$0$295$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>>>> Hi all,
>>>> I'll be heading to the big apple soon.
>>>> What is the best place to get a good deal on the following:
>>>>
>>>> Canon eos 20 D
>>>> Canon ef 24-70L Lens
>>>>
>>>> I heard B&H is good.
>>>>
>>>
>>> I hope someone answers the first part of the question. I'm interested to
>>> know is BH the kind of place you can check out a lens and camera
>>> extensively, say for maybe even an hour, shooting test shots and
>>> checking them on say a laptop you bring in yourself? I did this at
>>> Samys in LA once and now I shop there whenever I'm in town.
>>
>>
>> No, it's the kind of store that they look at you like a hawk every
>> second.
>
> It's huge and it has EVERYTHING. However, they do watch you like a hawk. A
> few years ago when I was buying the Fujifilm 6900 camera, I got the low
> price from buydig.com, then went to B&H and asked if they could match. The
> guy at the counter literally just turned his back on me and walked away.
>
> The operation is something to behold. From the time you check your bag in
> the front to the time your merchandise arrives in a suspended milk carton,
> it's like a gigantic supermarket with everything video in it.


Avoid going there on Sunday or you'll be spending hours waiting in line. I'd
suggest trying J&R near the city hall. It's Jewish operation too but they
open on Saturday. The best place to go if you're not looking for highly
specialized professional gears. You should be able to pick up a 20D there
Many big chains are okay too if you know exactly what you want.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 6:06:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
news:mTNvd.11360$0r.2314@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> "Cynicor" <j.t.r.u..p.i..n...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>>> No, it's the kind of store that they look at you like a hawk every
>>> second.
>>
>> It's huge and it has EVERYTHING. However, they do watch you like a hawk.
>> A few years ago when I was buying the Fujifilm 6900 camera, I got the low
>> price from buydig.com, then went to B&H and asked if they could match.
>> The guy at the counter literally just turned his back on me and walked
>> away.
>>
>> The operation is something to behold. From the time you check your bag in
>> the front to the time your merchandise arrives in a suspended milk
>> carton, it's like a gigantic supermarket with everything video in it.
>
>
> Avoid going there on Sunday or you'll be spending hours waiting in line.
> I'd suggest trying J&R near the city hall. It's Jewish operation too but
> they open on Saturday. The best place to go if you're not looking for
> highly specialized professional gears. You should be able to pick up a 20D
> there Many big chains are okay too if you know exactly what you want.

The place I get the personalized help is Berger Bros.
(http://www.berger-bros.com), but they're an hour outside the city on Long
Island. I bought my D70 there, and they let you bring in your own CF card,
test it out, give you free classes with purchase, etc.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 9:15:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:43:40 GMT, Joe Makowiec
<makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 14 Dec 2004 in rec.photo.digital, Angela wrote:
>
>> No you won't though you *may* be able to claim tax at the airport.
>> Don't forget the price you see is not the price you pay. They do
>> not add on sales tax until you get to the till so bank on it being
>> around 6% more than what you see on the tag.
>
>8 5/8% - see
>
> http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/publications/Sales/pub71...

===========
If the sales taxes are going to be significant and Viktor wants to
avoid them, he could always elect to stay in a hotel outside of New
York state (such as lovely Newark NJ, which is a 12 minute train ride
from New York's Penn Station. Who knows, Viktor's flight may be to
Newark Liberty Airport) and have the camera store UPS his purchase to
the hotel.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:01:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I thought you lot learned your lesson in 1942. It's obviously time for
>the US & Britain to give you a whack again.

Ummm, I think you mean 1944.

And give credit where it's due... the Russians paid most of the price.

--
Ken Tough
December 15, 2004 3:33:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Michael A. Covington" <look@www.covingtoninnovations.com.for.address&gt; a
écrit dans le message de news:41bfa0fc$1@mustang.speedfactory.net...
> > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:42:07 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Viktor,
> >>get yourself the 20 in Germany.
> >>Dont ask for a stupid american to help. Even it they werent stupid
> >>(remember, they voted for Bush 2 times),
>
> Do you trust someone who would insult a whole country?

the best prices in europe for Digital Camera are in Germany. Who needs to
thrust me for that ?

Insult a whole country ? Your country is insulting the world every day. Get
use to the insults, its just the beginning
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 3:33:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com> wrote in message
news:32baf2F3j9q1lU1@individual.net...
>
> "Michael A. Covington" <look@www.covingtoninnovations.com.for.address&gt; a
> écrit dans le message de news:41bfa0fc$1@mustang.speedfactory.net...
>> > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:42:07 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >>Viktor,
>> >>get yourself the 20 in Germany.
>> >>Dont ask for a stupid american to help. Even it they werent stupid
>> >>(remember, they voted for Bush 2 times),
>>
>> Do you trust someone who would insult a whole country?
>
> the best prices in europe for Digital Camera are in Germany. Who needs to
> thrust me for that ?

Hey, what people thrust you for is a private matter.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 5:09:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

R. Makul <k1xv@arrl.net> wrote:

>If the sales taxes are going to be significant and Viktor wants to
>avoid them, he could always elect to stay in a hotel outside of New
>York state (such as lovely Newark NJ, which is a 12 minute train ride
>from New York's Penn Station. Who knows, Viktor's flight may be to
>Newark Liberty Airport) and have the camera store UPS his purchase to
>the hotel.

Good luck getting stuff delivered mail order to a hotel address,
on a credit card not issued in the U.S. You wouldn't believe the
hoops I had to jump through to get just air tickets (we're talking
pre [slightly] 11/09). He will almost surely have to visit in
person to buy by credit card, so making that plan impossible.


--
Ken Tough
December 15, 2004 7:39:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

In article <41bfa0c8$1@mustang.speedfactory.net>,
look@www.covingtoninnovations.com.for.address says...
> Used to be. The average voltage for design purposes was considered to be
> 110 until the 1960s, 117 for a while after that, and presently 120. I have
> measured it as high as 129 at my home.
>
> For at least 20 years we have commonly called it "120" rather than "110."
>
> Japan reportedly has 100 volts.
>

Since MOST new appliances come labeled "for 117 volts" the utikity I work for
guarantees 117 volts nominal at the outlet.. Unfortunately Im not on the grid
for the Utility I work for, rather I am on Connecticut Light and Power
company, and they make no guaranty what-so-ever. in the Summer my voltage can
drop as low as 95 volts BEFORE any brownout warnings.


--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 7:58:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Michael A. Covington wrote:
[]
> YES! Can he even find a Canadian shop that will ship it to him?
>
> North American pricing, no Canadian GST, and (as I understand it) no
> duty going into Britain. Right?

He should declare the camera and lens when he imports it into the UK and
see if there is any duty or VAT to pay. If he imports illegally,
confiscation of the goods will perhaps be the least of the problems he has
to face. He is unlikely to be deported back to the USA, though.
December 15, 2004 8:55:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hey Chuck, what's the best price in Euros for a 20d body Only?
Do you know any good web sites?
Thanks, Germany here I come, screw the yanks ;) 

"Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com> wrote in message
news:32baf2F3j9q1lU1@individual.net...
>
> "Michael A. Covington" <look@www.covingtoninnovations.com.for.address&gt; a
> écrit dans le message de news:41bfa0fc$1@mustang.speedfactory.net...
> > > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:42:07 -0500, "Chuck" <nospammm@no_spam.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > >>Viktor,
> > >>get yourself the 20 in Germany.
> > >>Dont ask for a stupid american to help. Even it they werent stupid
> > >>(remember, they voted for Bush 2 times),
> >
> > Do you trust someone who would insult a whole country?
>
> the best prices in europe for Digital Camera are in Germany. Who needs to
> thrust me for that ?
>
> Insult a whole country ? Your country is insulting the world every day.
Get
> use to the insults, its just the beginning
>
>
!