Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which GPU is better for gaming?

Last response: in Systems
June 11, 2010 6:21:11 AM
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2010 7:59:43 AM

The ASUS card is an HD 5770 which has better cooling and runs faster, the XFX card is a slower HD 5750 (by a bit), although it does have double lifetime warranty. Your pick really, if you're going to overclock the ASUS solution would probably be better, and if you're not going to use this card for more than three years, I'd just go with the ASUS CuCore HD 5770.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2010 10:46:12 AM

5770 is the better card. In terms of performance there is no grey area, the 5770 wins.

What would go best with a 965 is a 5850 if you are playing at 1920 x 1080 resolution, but I assume that is beyond your budget.
Related resources
June 11, 2010 3:17:06 PM

1920x1080 is the resolution and I would be playing Starcraft 2. I also use FRAPS to capture games... photoshop to edit/create pictures.. and Vegas to edit my video that I capture.

5850 is not the price range I am looking for. Also how would it be so difficult to run Starcraft 2 at max settings with a comp with one if one of my roommates can with a 2 year old comp..

Radeon HD 5830 seems to be a nice card but a tad out of my range

Thanks for comments and advice .. Keep em' coming please!
m
l
June 11, 2010 3:49:14 PM

I have decided that I will most likely get this card - ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5770 1GB

I now just have a quick question with 2 MOBOs I am looking at. Which one is better? (I see that one has onboard video already will that get in the way of installing my GPU? I am leaning towards the ASUS M4A785TD because it will be much cheaper combo'ed up with the 5770 on newegg. I really don't know much about MOBOs.

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Thanks for the help ahead of time :bounce:  !
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:20:49 PM

shockem said:
I have decided that I will most likely get this card - ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5770 1GB

I now just have a quick question with 2 MOBOs I am looking at. Which one is better? (I see that one has onboard video already will that get in the way of installing my GPU? I am leaning towards the ASUS M4A785TD because it will be much cheaper combo'ed up with the 5770 on newegg. I really don't know much about MOBOs.

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Thanks for the help ahead of time :bounce:  !

The Asrock is better to me because you can buy another gpu in the future and do crossfire. The mobo provides a 8x/8x which means you can run two cards at 8x each. This is good for xfiring. Just something for the future.
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:59:25 PM

Thanks helping hands, that helps a lot. Does anyone know about a MOBO that has the same features as this ASRock board but is just a different brand or possibly has more options for combo deals?
m
l
June 11, 2010 6:12:35 PM

I can't remember what I don't already know haha. Sorry this is my very first PC build. What do you think it would take to run Starcraft 2 on the highest settings possible (GPU -wise)
m
l
June 12, 2010 6:05:35 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo, do not get the 5830!!!!!!!! lol either downgrade to the 5770 or the 5850. The 5830 is simply overpriced with no real benefits from the 5770. Stay away from that card.
m
l
June 14, 2010 4:50:41 AM

A clear response regarding the 5850 or 5770 would be greatly appreciated (maybe some evidence in why one would be better). I have heard from a few different people completely different Ideals, this makes my decision very confusing lol ...

m
l
June 14, 2010 5:53:33 AM

Since you're talking about a total build, why not post your budget and we'll just assemble some links of the best possible build for you? Maybe with our expertise we can fit a 5850 into your budget?
m
l
June 14, 2010 5:56:34 AM

Especially considering the 965 is an overpriced 955? That saves you 20 bucks right there!
m
l
June 14, 2010 12:58:29 PM

I also cannot wait for starcraft. If I cant play it with max players with maxed units clashing at full force without bogg up, its not good enuff! XD lol.

Since you're also planning to use fraps as well to record, you will likely need abit more umpf then you're roomate (though im not in the beta, I cant be 100%)

Im planning to go for 5850, its the tip of the iceburg as far as bang for the buck w/ good features. And it will ensure you wont be getting hiccups in your recordings. Its also a great crossfire card, since its very efficient heat/power wise.

A side note, I pray Bnet 2.0 will get revamped, it scares me to see so much backlash from blizz fans about missing features and sutch.. :[
m
l
June 14, 2010 2:52:30 PM

ashkaji said:
I also cannot wait for starcraft. If I cant play it with max players with maxed units clashing at full force without bogg up, its not good enuff! XD lol.

Since you're also planning to use fraps as well to record, you will likely need abit more umpf then you're roomate (though im not in the beta, I cant be 100%)

Im planning to go for 5850, its the tip of the iceburg as far as bang for the buck w/ good features. And it will ensure you wont be getting hiccups in your recordings. Its also a great crossfire card, since its very efficient heat/power wise.

A side note, I pray Bnet 2.0 will get revamped, it scares me to see so much backlash from blizz fans about missing features and sutch.. :[

Ya man, Bnet will change considerably.. it has to, everyone thinks it needs improvement. Also I have been posting commentaries on youtube of the beta under the alias ShockemStarcraft. That may interest you and thanks for the advice.

Thanks again,

Shockem
m
l
June 15, 2010 12:08:35 AM

shockem said:
Ya man, Bnet will change considerably.. it has to, everyone thinks it needs improvement. Also I have been posting commentaries on youtube of the beta under the alias ShockemStarcraft. That may interest you and thanks for the advice.

Thanks again,

Shockem

I really hope so. THIS GAME is going to get all my retarded friends off World of Warcraft. ITS LIKE KRYPTONITE. Its a savior haha.

Also I'll check out your vids, I havent been in the beta, so Ive been watching aton of replays to atleast get some form of info/practice.
m
l
June 23, 2010 12:38:45 AM

Best answer selected by Shockem.
m
l
!