Sign in with
Your question

RAID1 Mirrored/clone

Last response: in Storage
August 3, 2012 12:51:30 AM

I have an older computer with I think raid 1. I know that its mirrored.I have 2 hd's in it.I built a new machine and i
would like to transfer all the data & Programs to the new machine. Im going to get "Acronis True Image Home 2011 "
I have the os on the new machine,(same os. XP pro.) Whats the best way to do this? if i Clone the drive, isn't that
also copping the OLD os. I just want all the data and programs to work. I used PC Mover once and that did move
everthing, Data and the Programs, but one of the programs didn't work right. it was for Billing. He had to find
the correct path's for the program.
tks
John

More about : raid1 mirrored clone

August 3, 2012 1:25:35 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Cloning will overwrite your old drive. Use a program like PC Mover, or reinstall all programs. There aren't many choices. you can also use the easy transfer wizard to move some of your more common settings.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id...

Hawkey. The new computer is for doing the same work with the billing business,and it will have all or a new HD.
Their is no data on it or if their were I don't care if it is removed.I'm just wondering if by cloning the older HD. it will
move All the programes WITH all their PATHS, that make the programs work.
tks
John
a c 356 G Storage
August 3, 2012 4:28:07 PM

Cloning a drive from an old system to a new system rarely works right as the original copy of windows has drivers for your old motherboard and devices. When moving to a new system, a clean install is always recommended. This also requires you to reinstall all software and updates.

You can try a repair install after cloning to try and fix the driver issue, but your software licenses are for one computer, so you'd have to uninstall them from the old system once they are working on the new system anyhow.
!