Sign in with
Your question

Bridge connection Sat internet and DSL

Last response: in Networking
March 8, 2010 3:35:29 AM

How can I combine a Satellite Internet with a dsl connection ?
March 8, 2010 3:47:37 AM

I’m not sure I understand. You have two ISPs, each one providing Internet access. Combine them how? To what ends? You mean BIND them in some useful way to increase your overall bandwidth??? You need to be far more descriptive in what you’re trying to accomplish here.
March 8, 2010 5:20:40 AM

eibgrad said:
I’m not sure I understand. You have two ISPs, each one providing Internet access. Combine them how? To what ends? You mean BIND them in some useful way to increase your overall bandwidth??? You need to be far more descriptive in what you’re trying to accomplish here.

It is like this, There is Satellite based internet connection, I need to bridge a upload link for that, How should I use a DSL connection for upload and Satellite connection for download.
Related resources
March 9, 2010 7:01:19 AM

anybody done this before ?
March 9, 2010 9:40:52 PM

yousaf465 said:
It is like this, There is Satellite based internet connection, I need to bridge a upload link for that, How should I use a DSL connection for upload and Satellite connection for download.

Seems odd given you have DSL. I can remember in the past something similar being required because satellite only had downlink capability and dial-up was necessary for the uplink. But w/ the availability of DSL, why would anyone continue to use satellite for internet access?!

Anyway, that’s only going to work with special equipment and worse, needs to be supported on BOTH ends. TCP/IP is a connection-oriented request/response protocol. What you’re suggesting requires any response to a previous request be handled by completely independent ISPs. But that’s not possible since neither is aware of the other.

The reason it worked w/ the old satellite+dial-up is because the dial-up you used was run by the same satellite company! You dialed into a service managed by them who then REBOUND the response back to the original request (an admittedly arcane but necessary process at the time). That’s why you’re not likely to find a solution unless offered by the satellite company. There’s simply no way to manage that process ONLY on your side.

March 12, 2010 2:15:07 AM

well, the reason for such a setup is because, DSL is slow compared to a satellite connection. Also for private tracker we need high enough upload speed, which is not possible with dial up.

Some people have this setup. They are using dsl to upload and satellite to download. With these speed, dsl upload upto 200 kbps upload and upto 2.2 mbps download.
March 14, 2010 6:33:36 AM

Nobody know about this setup ?
March 24, 2010 7:36:31 AM

eibgrad said:

Sounds like you know what he needs just fine... I have heard of doing this with DSL links before. Combine 2 or more DSL modems into one to double the bandwidth or more. From what I heard the modems were connected to some sort of hub and then sent out to the network with the increased bandwidth.

I also heard of a something being able to do this more effectively. I mostly heard that there was some lose in the over all bandwidth when maxed out. Meaning with 2 dsl modems its not totally doubled cause in the processing you lose a small percentage. But thats also why I heard of them hooking up 3 or more to the system.

I don't know anything about it myself. It was a random topic my computer engineer teacher brought up. At the time we were testing out a direct connections to a new fiber optic line before anyone else was to be added to the line. And so the topic of if it gets spit up the why can't it get put back together? I think... lol

So anyway as far as I know it was a very basic system not changing what the modems did but how the requests came into the switch box and back. So the only thing special is the hub/switch box thing that all the modems ethernet cables hooked up to. Even though that was a topic on DSL only. From what I remember it shouldn't matter what modem you use. DSL, Cable, Sat, whatever. As long as it connected to the hub it should work.

Personally though I don't care about combining DSL and Sat... I would love to get a few extra DSL lines to increase my bandwidth sense my provider doesn't allow upgrades. Also the more customers we get the more work on the lines and the better the bandwidth has gotten. Yet it's not enough and in a sense I would be helping out the neighbors by showing a increased need to extended the line to the people above me who can't get it yet. Far as I know most people up here want it and have told the DSL company so. But the cost is too much. At this point they aren't taking any new customers above me, but they will below me. Which should include me of course.

So if anyone can help us out that would be grate! If my teacher hadn't retired I'd go and ask him about it again...

Oh and I doubt that old system was cable of selecting the modem with the least amount of latency. This would help the guy out with the sat cause you don't want it to choose to start uploading on the sat before dsl... I don't think it could send a request with dsl and get a response back from the sat... But maybe he can set it up ports from certain sites and so on to access the Sat for uploads and then the DSL for everything else???

That sounds like that could be easily done. But don't forget about my question also. I'd like to use all DSL lines equally. Maybe fill one up and then use the next modem in the line. Or issue out one request and response to one modem and then the next to the next modem or something similar?
March 29, 2010 1:44:28 PM

So nobody no how to do it ? Combine two connections ?
March 30, 2010 1:43:46 PM

use SDSL 4 download and upload as u wanted i think u might be using ADSL
April 14, 2010 4:08:54 AM

Yes we have ADSL here, how should I combine it with a Satellite connection
April 18, 2010 9:08:43 AM

So, if you bridge (right click on two selected connection ) connection from your sattelite to your dsl connection and you have problem yet :bounce:  , it is your setting! sattelite connetion and dsl connection uses two diffrent protocol ! you can ask this setting from www.microsoft.com :love:  or ask in forum, they solve your problem as soon as they see it! :hello: 
April 20, 2010 3:47:46 PM

I want to use the DSL to upload and sattelite connection to download, but it's not working that way.
!