Back Up Drivers Before Formatting Hard Drive

I want to format the hard drive on an old computer, but I do not have all the
driver files on disk, which I will need to reinstall after formatting the
hard drive. Can I save these drivers to a disk and if so what path do I use
to find them in "C" drive. I am using Windows XP Home OS
Thanks
Bob
6 answers Last reply
More about back drivers formatting hard drive

    Check to see if you have disks for the necessary drivers for your devices.
    Also, check the device manufacturer's websites for the latest XP compatible
    drivers for your devices.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I want to format the hard drive on an old computer, but I do not have all
    >the
    > driver files on disk, which I will need to reinstall after formatting the
    > hard drive. Can I save these drivers to a disk and if so what path do I
    > use
    > to find them in "C" drive. I am using Windows XP Home OS
    > Thanks
    > Bob

    Michael
    I do not have any disks. Is it possible to back up the drivers from my hard
    drive as I have not yet formatted it
    Bob

    Bob wrote:
    > Michael
    > I do not have any disks. Is it possible to back up the drivers from
    > my hard drive as I have not yet formatted it
    > Bob
    >

    > "Bob" wrote:
    >
    >> I want to format the hard drive on an old computer, but I do not
    >> have all the driver files on disk, which I will need to reinstall
    >> after formatting the hard drive. Can I save these drivers to a disk
    >> and if so what path do I use to find them in "C" drive. I am using
    >> Windows XP Home OS
    >> Thanks
    >> Bob

    Try:

    http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

    Among other things, this will back up drivers. There is a free trial ar sale
    price of $10. I haven't used this myself, just found it a while back and
    saved a bookmark for it.

    Eddie in Colorado Springs

    "If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip."

    Only if you have a location on the hard drive where you've saved the drivers
    before installation. You cannot save drivers individually once they've been
    installed. They are not usually a single file, they are installed similar
    to an application with files all over the place. Without disks for your
    various devices, modem, graphics card, soundcard, etc. internally and
    whatever external devices you have, printer, scanner, etc. you need to go to
    the device manufacturer's website and download the drivers for your various
    devices. It's fairly simple and straight forward and will give you the most
    recent XP compatible drivers for your devices.

    Note, this is preferable to using "driverguide" and other such services as
    suggested in this thread. I've tested some of these sites and the drivers
    to which they point are often dated and they often don't pick up the
    necessary updates when available or even all your devices.

    --

    > Michael
    > I do not have any disks. Is it possible to back up the drivers from my
    > hard
    > drive as I have not yet formatted it
    > Bob
    >

    > "Bob" wrote:
    >
    >> I want to format the hard drive on an old computer, but I do not have all
    >> the
    >> driver files on disk, which I will need to reinstall after formatting the
    >> hard drive. Can I save these drivers to a disk and if so what path do I
    >> use
    >> to find them in "C" drive. I am using Windows XP Home OS
    >> Thanks
    >> Bob

  5. Actually, this is not entirely true.
    I was stuck with the same problem and found out that there exist utilities such as "Driver Backup" at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=176359

    This allows you to backup your drivers before you format the windows XP!

    I haven't tried it myself yet, but atleast the option exists.
  6. Quote:

    Bob wrote:
    > Michael
    > I do not have any disks. Is it possible to back up the drivers from
    > my hard drive as I have not yet formatted it
    > Bob
    >

    > "Bob" wrote:
    >
    >> I want to format the hard drive on an old computer, but I do not
    >> have all the driver files on disk, which I will need to reinstall
    >> after formatting the hard drive. Can I save these drivers to a disk
    >> and if so what path do I use to find them in "C" drive. I am using
    >> Windows XP Home OS
    >> Thanks
    >> Bob

    Try:

    http://www.driverguidetoolkit.com/

    Among other things, this will back up drivers. There is a free trial ar sale
    price of $10. I haven't used this myself, just found it a while back and
    saved a bookmark for it.

    Eddie in Colorado Springs

    "If you look like your passport picture, you probably need the trip."

    I'm planning to format my computer cause it's already infected a classified virus..so do i need to back-up all data store on my computer?

Configuration Drivers Formatting Hard Drives Windows XP