Which HDD to buy?

I recently bought a SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 ST2000DL004 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive but now I don't know if it's the right drive to buy. Mostly I am bothered that it is 5400 rpm (an accident on my part, distracted by a good sale) and that the quality of these "samsung" drives have declined since they were bought out by Seagate. Is this still a good, reliable drive?

If you had to buy an HDD right now with at least 1tb storage to be used for storing games (using a 128gb SSD for OS), what would you buy? Preferably from Newegg.

All of the terrible reviews make me scared and I have no idea which model/brand is reliable.
Also, do I need 7200 over 5400? 6.0 gb/s over 3.0 gb/s? What about price point?

I am completely clueless and stories of people's drives dying kind of freak me out. So if you had to go on Newegg and choose a hard drive for game storage, which would you choose?

Thanks so much for the help!
4 answers Last reply
More about which
  1. Okay, around $100, which is the price I payed for the Samsung Ecogreen (AKA, seagate)
  2. 7200 RPM drives are not that cheap, yet, you'll be lucky to find one on sale at that price, if at all

Well, I happen to find this... I stand corrected!

From what I understand all HDD have a physical threshold transfer speed of about 125 MBps, which is just shy of half the bus speed of SATA 2
  3. Isn't there a newegg sale on the F3 until Aug 6th ??

$89.99 with $15 off = $75

F3 sale

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ
    1TB 7200 RPM
    32MB Cache
    SATA 3.0Gb/s
    3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage Product