SSD Raid for games and OS, or just games?

monkeyraffle

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I just built a new PC and have put two Samsung 830 256gb drives in a raid 0 configuration. My plan was to install only games on this raid drive. I have an additional 128gb Samsung 830 that is not in a raid configuration. This 128gb drive currently just has Windows 7 on it, as well as miscellaneous programs. In terms of performance, is my current setup my best option with what I have? Or should I put absolutely everything on the raid drives? I'm using 2 WD HDDs in raid 1 for storage.

monkeyraffle

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I have 50GB free on the 128GB SSD (about 40% free) and I don't think I'll be using any more space on it anytime soon. I'd like to have all the space on the 2 drives in raid available for games, but if it would be a performance increase to squeeze the OS on there too, I'm not opposed.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
My, 2x HDDs in RAID 1?????? Thast what yo defentelty should be going for RAID 0.

RAID 1 nowadays IS NOT BACKUP. The proper way to do it is with a external HDD. If anything goes wrong, your files are emedialty acessable by ANY machine (including Macs out of curiosity)

Now, of course putting the OS on a RAID 0 setup would be awesome, but for a better organized computer, is tottally fine to put OS and apps in one volume and exclusevely games on a second.

If you feel sad that your OS and apps are not on your faster volume, buy a OCZ PCI-e SSD revodrive, for the ultimate experience!