Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is The HD 5770 Bigger than the GTS 240 OEM?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 6, 2010 12:42:57 AM

I just looked in my case and it looks like the GTS 240 is barley making clearance to fit inside the case.

May 6, 2010 1:15:41 AM

The GTS 240 is 7.5 inches long, the 5770 is 8.1 inches long. If you have more than have an inch of clearance, you might be okay. Take the 6 pin connector into account as well, it might be up to an inch of extra space. Would you tell me which case you have, or what parts are in your computer so I can verify for sure? That is unless you could do so yourself.
m
0
l
May 6, 2010 3:52:43 AM

thesupermedium said:
The GTS 240 is 7.5 inches long, the 5770 is 8.1 inches long. If you have more than have an inch of clearance, you might be okay. Take the 6 pin connector into account as well, it might be up to an inch of extra space. Would you tell me which case you have, or what parts are in your computer so I can verify for sure? That is unless you could do so yourself.



ey man do you know why some people are telling me with my current card a GTS 240 is running more power than the 5770 does but my PSU 350 watts is not reccomended for the 5770.

Who do I belive? I dont want to fry my pc but I need a better video card for my lite on PSU 350 watt quad core 9400 dell studio desk. 540.


I cant afford to break my pc but I want to upgrade my card, as the gts 240 is a renamed 9800 gtx-8800gtx 3 year old card... I paid 1100$ for this crap.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 4:25:06 AM

resinmage said:
ey man do you know why some people are telling me with my current card a GTS 240 is running more power than the 5770 does but my PSU 350 watts is not reccomended for the 5770
Here is the GT 240 on the EVGA website showing a recommended 300W PSU
The 5770 has the extra 6-pin power connector that the GT 240 doesn't have, another way to tell it's power requirements are less than a 5770.

edit;
Just noticed it was a Dell Studio 540. Explains why it was so hard to find any specifics on a GT S 240
Have you gone by the support website for your MFGR and looked to see what others are doing to replace GT 240s with more powerful video cards?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 4:46:36 AM

If you want to find out the specific details of that video card use GPU-Z to look under the hood and figure out what is really there.

I was thinking it's the GTS 250 that is a re-badge of the 9800 GTX.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 5:48:56 AM

The card he has is the GTS 240, its the OEM name for a 9800GT(older version, not the one without the power connector.) It uses about 5 more watts than the HD5770s under load. Certain people in the other thread have him worrying about whether his PSU can use a card that uses less power than his current card for unexplainable reasons.
The question of whether it fits is actually the better question. Here are the two cards side by side. You can see that the GTS 240 is actually longer;


Both cards use a power connector so that shouldn't be an issue.
Another good question is whether your case is BTX or ATX. Sometimes BTX cases can't handle dual slot cards. Basically look at your GTS 240 and if the fan were larger, using two slots would it still fit? Or give us a pic of the inside of your case.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 5:53:20 AM

Meh, the system is resizing those pics. Anyways you can tell the GTS 240(top) is longer by comparing the relative lengths of the part on the bottom that plugs into the PCIE slot. They should be the same length but the GTS 240 is shorter because the pic had to be resized more because the card is longer.
m
0
l
May 6, 2010 6:35:18 AM

jyjjy said:
The card he has is the GTS 240, its the OEM name for a 9800GT(older version, not the one without the power connector.) It uses about 5 more watts than the HD5770s under load. Certain people in the other thread have him worrying about whether his PSU can use a card that uses less power than his current card for unexplainable reasons.
The question of whether it fits is actually the better question. Here are the two cards side by side. You can see that the GTS 240 is actually longer;
http://i44.tinypic.com/30l003c.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/oqk2ty.jpg
Both cards use a power connector so that shouldn't be an issue.
Another good question is whether your case is BTX or ATX. Sometimes BTX cases can't handle dual slot cards. Basically look at your GTS 240 and if the fan were larger, using two slots would it still fit? Or give us a pic of the inside of your case.




Hey JY your pretty confident I can run it and that the reccomended PSU specs watts doesnt matter cause my GTS 240? having problems with my camera now...
m
0
l
May 6, 2010 6:49:59 AM

jyjjy said:
Meh, the system is resizing those pics. Anyways you can tell the GTS 240(top) is longer by comparing the relative lengths of the part on the bottom that plugs into the PCIE slot. They should be the same length but the GTS 240 is shorter because the pic had to be resized more because the card is longer.





best I could do/



m
0
l
May 6, 2010 6:55:45 AM

jyjjy said:
The card he has is the GTS 240, its the OEM name for a 9800GT(older version, not the one without the power connector.) It uses about 5 more watts than the HD5770s under load. Certain people in the other thread have him worrying about whether his PSU can use a card that uses less power than his current card for unexplainable reasons.
The question of whether it fits is actually the better question. Here are the two cards side by side. You can see that the GTS 240 is actually longer;
http://i44.tinypic.com/30l003c.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/oqk2ty.jpg
Both cards use a power connector so that shouldn't be an issue.
Another good question is whether your case is BTX or ATX. Sometimes BTX cases can't handle dual slot cards. Basically look at your GTS 240 and if the fan were larger, using two slots would it still fit? Or give us a pic of the inside of your case.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 7:16:52 AM

mesure
use a tape measure guy..dont account for the plug it dont matter you have access
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 8:01:58 AM

resinmage said:
Hey JY your pretty confident I can run it and that the reccomended PSU specs watts doesnt matter cause my GTS 240? having problems with my camera now...

Yeah, if it cant run the HD5770 then it can't run the GTS 240.
It should fit fine BTW. The cooler will cover your PCIEx1 slot but you aren't using it and you'll still have the PCI slot free if you need to add something.
m
0
l
May 6, 2010 8:07:41 AM

jyjjy said:
Yeah, if it cant run the HD5770 then it can't run the GTS 240.
It should fit fine BTW. The cooler will cover your PCIEx1 slot but you aren't using it and you'll still have the PCI slot free if you need to add something.




wheres the other pc slot? I thought I only have room for 1.

So thats the picture of my case with the q9400 quad core and GTS 240 OEM installed.


my PSU is 350 watt heres
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 9:14:27 AM

You have 3 different slots; PCI, PCIEx1 and PCIEx16. The PCIEx16 is what the card is plugged into and where you will put the HD5770. The PCIEx1 slot is the small black one under it. Looking at the pics again from the spacing I believe you actually have 2 PCIEx1 slots, the top one is just behind the card in both pics. The PCI slot is the larger slot below those. PCIEx1 and PCI slots are both used for things like sound cards, wireless cards, modems, ect. The HD5770 has a double slot cooler so it will be covering the top PCIEx1 slot making it unusable but I believe you'll still have one free along with the PCI slot.
As for the PSU I can't read that with the blur and the glare but it doesn't matter, your current card really does use slightly more power so there's nothing to worry about. If you'd like to take a look at the numbers yourself you can here;
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/28.html
Yours is just the 9800GT with a different name.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2010 2:38:01 PM

jyjjy said:
The card he has is the GTS 240, its the OEM name for a 9800GT(older version, not the one without the power connector.) It uses about 5 more watts than the HD5770s under load.
That makes sense. The GT 240 is the replacement for the 9600GT. the GTS 250 is a refresh of the 9800 GTX and the Dell OEM GTS 240 is the 9800GT update.

The estimate of a GTS 240 using more power than a 5770 might be suspect though.
When the 9600GT went from the original 65nm to a Rev B 55nm fab process they did away with the PCI-e power plug of the original card and dropped about 60watts in the power requirement.
And GT 240 is now on the 40 nm process and has a recommended 300W PSU (Evga website) compared the 9600GT recommended 400W.

The 9800GT also went through a 65mn - 55nm shrink. No way to know for sure which model is showing on the TechPowerUp chart though.
If that GTS 240 is also a die shrink from 55nm to 40nm it's almost certainly using less power than a 5770. But knowing Dell likes to cut corners to cheap out on hardware I wouldn't be surprised if the GTS is stuck on 55nm.

@ resinmage;
You can help us out by running GPU-Z and posting a screenshot of that for us - if you don't mind.
Im sure this won't be the last time others ask the same questions. And it will give you piece of mind about how much difference there is in power requirements for the GTS 240 - HD 5770 swap.





m
0
l
May 7, 2010 12:38:39 AM

WR2 said:
That makes sense. The GT 240 is the replacement for the 9600GT. the GTS 250 is a refresh of the 9800 GTX and the Dell OEM GTS 240 is the 9800GT update.

The estimate of a GTS 240 using more power than a 5770 might be suspect though.
When the 9600GT went from the original 65nm to a Rev B 55nm fab process they did away with the PCI-e power plug of the original card and dropped about 60watts in the power requirement.
And GT 240 is now on the 40 nm process and has a recommended 300W PSU (Evga website) compared the 9600GT recommended 400W.

The 9800GT also went through a 65mn - 55nm shrink. No way to know for sure which model is showing on the TechPowerUp chart though.
If that GTS 240 is also a die shrink from 55nm to 40nm it's almost certainly using less power than a 5770. But knowing Dell likes to cut corners to cheap out on hardware I wouldn't be surprised if the GTS is stuck on 55nm.

@ resinmage;
You can help us out by running GPU-Z and posting a screenshot of that for us - if you don't mind.
Im sure this won't be the last time others ask the same questions. And it will give you piece of mind about how much difference there is in power requirements for the GTS 240 - HD 5770 swap.




sure whats gpuz?
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 7, 2010 12:45:41 AM

The GTS 240 is the older model of the 9800GT with the power connector. You can see it on both the Nvidia website;
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gts_240_us...
and on the pics of the actual card within this guy's computer that he provided.
The card on the techpowerup chart is indeed the older version as well. There are plenty of other sites you can compare it to but that's not necessary as if it didn't have the power connector it wouldn't be going over 75w. It would need a power connector to do so as the PCIEx16 slot itself is only specified to deliver 75w. Anyway if it was the low power version on the chart the HD5770 is still using less power so that would be better. There is no 40nm version of the 9800GT FYI.
m
0
l
May 7, 2010 11:35:42 PM

jyjjy said:
The GTS 240 is the older model of the 9800GT with the power connector. You can see it on both the Nvidia website;
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gts_240_us...
and on the pics of the actual card within this guy's computer that he provided.
The card on the techpowerup chart is indeed the older version as well. There are plenty of other sites you can compare it to but that's not necessary as if it didn't have the power connector it wouldn't be going over 75w. It would need a power connector to do so as the PCIEx16 slot itself is only specified to deliver 75w. Anyway if it was the low power version on the chart the HD5770 is still using less power so that would be better. There is no 40nm version of the 9800GT FYI.





Jy thanks man your heck of cool, I see were friends so Im gonna say where Im at right now. Basically Cant afford it now, Learned that I MIGHT want to consider upgrading the PSU to a 500 W, My Dell came with 350w and I cant take the chance of frying my pc my girl will freaking kill me.

If your correct then there would be no reason for me to even think of taking out my LIte-on 350 W PSU that Dell put in there before selling it to me.

Some say that with my 350 w psu dont gamble putting the hd 5770 in. Your very confident that my PSu will run the 5770 withought harming my pc.


I dont even know though could you please tell me if its ok to just take out a PSU Dell sent and upgrade it? Like would my pc allow that?I dont know man i hope your right
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 12:31:02 AM

It uses less power than your current card... everyone saying that you should be at all worried simply does not know what they are talking about. It's simply impossible for your, or any, PSU to handle the GTS 240 if it can't handle an HD5770. You do not need a new PSU to run that card and there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Can't say it any clearer than that.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 12:34:53 AM

Quote:
This is the time to get one of those fanless "green" 5750s and call it a day..
:D 

It's more expensive than an HD5770.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 12:40:09 AM

That one is just passively cooled, not the "green" version that uses less power.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 12:44:25 AM

The "Green" version actually does use less power and doesn't even have the power connector.
Volt-modded HD5750 is just better than what?
m
0
l
May 8, 2010 4:45:18 AM

jyjjy said:
It uses less power than your current card... everyone saying that you should be at all worried simply does not know what they are talking about. It's simply impossible for your, or any, PSU to handle the GTS 240 if it can't handle an HD5770. You do not need a new PSU to run that card and there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Can't say it any clearer than that.





ok then its done, ill get the hd 5770 and wont worry about the PSU and I come back here or go on youtube to figure out how to install it etc.
m
0
l
May 8, 2010 4:46:39 AM

jyjjy said:
The "Green" version actually does use less power and doesn't even have the power connector.
Volt-modded HD5750 is just better than what?








canI get a link to the less power version hd 5770? thats what ill want right?
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 5:34:14 AM

Nah, we are talking about a version of the HD5750, not the HD5770. It would be a much more modest upgrade on what you have now and that version actually costs more than an HD5770.
This is the best deal I'm seeing on Newegg for the HD5770 at the moment btw;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
May 8, 2010 2:08:01 PM

This 5770 using less that a 240 business is nuts. The GT 240 uses minimum 350 watts power supply, and I doubt Dell would fit a more powerful version if it would just cut out due to a shoddy PSU. The 5750 requires a minimum 400Watt power supply, and the 5770 500watt. To the OP, if it's not too late, save your money, buy a 550Watt PSU and buy whatever card you want. You'll be glad you did, and come on here if you need help installing it. Do it the right way, not the cheap way.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Yes I know it is a bit pricey, but I trust Antec, and the price is reasonable for the power you get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Costs $5 more than the others, but this one has the sleeve style cooler, which exhausts hot air out of the back, rather than blowing it into your case.

The total for this is about $60 over budget, but if you would do this instead of a sub par job which puts your computer at risk, you'll definitely be much happier.
m
0
l
May 8, 2010 3:58:40 PM

There is no such thing as a GTS 240. You must mean GTS 250 OR GT 240? The GT 240 is based on the 9600 GT so think of it as a souped up 9600 GT. The GTS 250 is the card that is a rebranded overclocked 9800 GT.

The GT 240 is a shorter card and runs on less power than the ATI HD 5770.
m
0
l
May 8, 2010 11:21:02 PM

Canuck1 said:
There is no such thing as a GTS 240. You must mean GTS 250 OR GT 240? The GT 240 is based on the 9600 GT so think of it as a souped up 9600 GT. The GTS 250 is the card that is a rebranded overclocked 9800 GT.

The GT 240 is a shorter card and runs on less power than the ATI HD 5770.




eeeenghh! Wrong

The GTS 240 is an OEM product sold in pre-builts only and thats what came with my studio DELL 540.
m
0
l
May 8, 2010 11:29:49 PM

jyjjy said:
Nah, we are talking about a version of the HD5750, not the HD5770. It would be a much more modest upgrade on what you have now and that version actually costs more than an HD5770.
This is the best deal I'm seeing on Newegg for the HD5770 at the moment btw;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...




so this guy is wrong basically,

This 5770 using less that a 240 business is nuts. The GT 240 uses minimum 350 watts power supply, and I doubt Dell would fit a more powerful version if it would just cut out due to a shoddy PSU. The 5750 requires a minimum 400Watt power supply, and the 5770 500watt. To the OP, if it's not too late, save your money, buy a 550Watt PSU and buy whatever card you want. You'll be glad you did, and come on here if you need help installing it. Do it the right way, not the cheap way.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817371016
Yes I know it is a bit pricey, but I trust Antec, and the price is reasonable for the power you get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product
Costs $5 more than the others, but this one has the sleeve style cooler, which exhausts hot air out of the back, rather than blowing it into your case.

The total for this is about $60 over budget, but if you would do this instead of a sub par job which puts your computer at risk, you'll definitely be much happier.
m
0
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 8, 2010 11:40:37 PM

Yeah, he was confused and talking about a different card, the GT 240. That card is a newer one which uses much less power but is also significantly weaker than your card.
The reason why there is so much confusion is that your card is rare in that it isn't sold publicly under that name but rather as the 9800GT so most people haven't heard of it/don't know exactly what it is and/or think it is a typo. On top of that there are two different versions of the 9800GT which use different amounts of power. Combine that with the nonstandard way Dell rates their PSUs and you'll get a lot of misinformation about your situation.
m
0
l
!