Windows Media Player 12 Problem

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I'm running WMP 12 (specifically 12.0.7600.16415). I just installed Windows 7 (32 bit) on my computer. I did a full install and wiped everything.

For some reason the SRS Wow effect doesn't work. I've tried changing the speaker settings, cranking up the wow and trubass and still no change happens in the music. It worked fine when I ran windows XP, and now it doesn't work. Since, windows is dumb and won't let me reinstall windows media player I’m not really sure how to fix this? Any ideas?

[I actually tried downloading the SRS audio sandbox which works for everything but the wmp. For some reason enhancements don't work with wmp!]

Thanks in advance. This is very frustrating.

A mid range third party 7.1 digital sound card from ASUS or Creative would leave little need for WMP sound effects. None of my My Vista installations WMP's WoW effect work either. The Vista WMP sound effects are like a racing stripe on a car. They just make it look fast, but have no effect on the actual horsepower. Think serious sound processor and turn off those bubbles.

wtxgringo

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
srs audio has a facebook page & if you need answers, i'd ask there, they're quite helpful! i have realtek hd audio so don't need srs sandbox but use it on my old dell xps xp machine & works great. srs was having issues integrating it to work with windows 7 so you might inquire there & see what's up!

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Thanks for all the replys. I did not install the onboard Sigmatel driver on
my dell. I was using windows driver which is better as I will explain below.
As soon as I installed the sigmatel driver SRS Wow started working right
away.

However, I have 5.1 speakers hooked up and before when I was using the
windows driver it allowed 5.1 sound. (I know this because when I would
configure the speakers and test them it would play a sound from each
spaker to show it was working). Now when I try to configure the sigmatel
driver it only allows configuratoin for 2.1. I'm sure you don't know how to
solve this, I just thought I'd mention where I'm at with my sound issues. (I
had 5.1 with windows xp, so I know sigmatel's dirver does allow for it.)
It's not a big deal though because I don't really use it but it would be nice
for the few times I would want it.

Thanks again.

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007

I just so happen to know how to use and equaliser, and have 5.1 creative speakers. I'm not saying these speakers are great, but I do feel that the SRS does enhance the sound slightly. Its not amazing, but then again neither is my sound card or speakers. So chill out.